Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The last week or so Sisse has started these marathon barking sessions when anything "new" has been brought into the house or if something is out of place. She just goes crazy until we either put it away or put it back where it belongs. I have tried "introducing" her to the errant item, letting her just go ahead and bark at it until she gets tired or taking her to another room until she calms down. Then I let her go back and she acts startled and starts the barking all over again. I don't mean just once in a while either, it's all the time. We can't bring groceries in, move a plant, put shoes somewhere else, Lisa can't put her bookbag on the couch etc.....what's up with her?? Does anyone else have this problem and how do we get her to knock it off??

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Sunny used to do this all the time , it was really special around christmas with all teh decorations lol. Usually introducting works fine for me though i just pet sunny then pet whatever has been moved and show him its not hurting me adn he calms down

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Originally posted by Sisses Momma@Apr 22 2005, 02:14 PM
The last week or so Sisse has started these marathon barking sessions when anything "new" has been brought into the house or if something is out of place. She just goes crazy until we either put it away or put it back where it belongs.  I have tried "introducing" her to the errant item, letting her just go ahead and bark at it until she gets tired or taking her to another room until she calms down.  Then I let her go back and she acts startled and starts the barking all over again.  I don't mean just once in a while either, it's all the time.  We can't bring groceries in, move a plant, put shoes somewhere else, Lisa can't put her bookbag on the couch etc.....what's up with her??  Does anyone else have this problem and how do we get her to knock it off??

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=55364
[/QUOTE]

Seem like you have a neat freak on your hands. The would be great for us reminding us to put things away... But I guess it is annoying if you need to just rest something down for a min or two. Maybe she is telling you this is my home and showing she is the alpha. Can you think of anything resently that has changed in the home. To make her start doing this. Maybe one of the others can help.

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Peanut does that all the time!! I hate walking him on trash day because every bag/can/recycle bin gets barked at all the way down the street. He's gotten better in the house though. He'll just go and inspect the new thing and sometimes it gets a bark and sometimes he'll ignore it.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
"Seem like you have a neat freak on your hands."

Wonderful!! A puppy with obsessive compulsive disorder!! I do hope it is a phase as Holliberry said!! The really weird thing is.....take the bookbag, if it's on the floor next to the back door, it's good, no problems. But, put that bag on the couch or ANY where else and we have a riot on our hands. Nothing has happened in the house so I have no other explanation!!

·
Premium Member
236 Posts
Originally posted by Sisses Momma@Apr 22 2005, 01:14 PM
Sisse has started these marathon barking sessions. She just goes crazy. <div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=55364
[/QUOTE]

I think it's hilarious when I read this about her barking non-stop then look over at her pic

She is just sitting there like "What?" LOL I can totally picture her having that look after you got her attention during the middle of one of her sprees.

That is TOTALLY what our Gucci does when she goes crazy. Just stops and looks over at you like nothing is wrong.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I saw a thing about this on Animal Planet. The Dog Whisperer guy was dealing with a Sheltie that would bark constantly at the sound of the toaster, microwave, phone, or doorbell.

He unplugged the toaster and picked it up, then followed the dog around the house with it. The dog retreated.

Dog Whisperer kept 'popping' the toast button, so it'd make noise.

Eventually, he cornered the dog, and kept popping the toast button near the sheltie over and over and over again. She kept flinching and trying to escape it, but he forced her to get used to it and see that it wasn't hurting her or the family.

He did the same thing with the phone, etc.

I'm not sure if Dog Whisperer's technique works or not.

But, I do hope you find a way to get Sisse's barking under control. She's such a cutie, I'd hate to see her become the stereotypical 'yappy' dog.

Crossing my fingers for ya!

·
Registered
522 Posts
It MUST be a phase because Izzy has started that too in the last week or so. Since Phoebe, Sisse and Izzy are close in age, it has got to be more than a coincidence. My DH will say "what is she barking at?" and I'll answer, "oh, I moved my shoes" or "a pillow fell off the couch". It's almost like she has claimed the house fully and she knows the ins and outs of it and she's determined to keep her world in order.
She saw her reflection in the deck doors the other evening and you would have thought someone was trying to steal one of her junk yard cars.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I used Lilly's suggestion and "introduced" Sis to those items she didn't think had a right to be in her territory (I think that "dog whisperer thing is cruel and he's a nut case). It helped somewhat, I took her to the new vase of flowers and showed her they were "OK". She would go back into the kitchen and "woof" at them every now and then, I think to say "see, I'm STILL in charge here" and then she would walk away......The really bad thing this weekend was I got a new car (had an accident last week and totaled my other one), it was outside the kitchen door in the driveway. It did NOT belong there and she barked for 1/2 hour straight!! We took her out on her harness/leash and let her give the whole thing inside and out the once over, we even took her for a little ride in it. She quit barking at it, we were amazed, it would get the required "woof" every now and then, but the constant barking stopped!! Think we're on to something here!!

·
Registered
68 Posts
It does sound like OCD, and if this is the case you need to get into contact with a doggie psychologist. On the program The Dog Whisper it says do not try this at home, without advise from a professional.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Pico does something very similar! If I go shopping and set a shopping bag on the floor in my room and he comes in, he will bark and bark and bark until I come in and "touch" the bag. Then he will bravely come over and sniff it.

He does that with anything that is out of place or that he hasn't seen on the floor before. Also, if Public Works has signs placed out in front of the house he will bark at them when we go out until I go over and touch the signs. Then he will carefully stretch himself out to sniff them and then he's fine and won't bark at them the next time he sees them.

He's so alert to strange things and we feel so safe!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts