Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I used this forum when I first got Maizy who is now 8 ☺🐶 Well since then we have now had 2 children who are 3 and 5 and are now adding another Maltese to our family!!

Its been 8 years since I have done the puppy phase and pre children so I need some help!

The breeder recommended a puppy pen which I think I will get for down stairs to give the puppy a safe place when she needs a rest/ sleep/ time out. However I’m not sure what to do about sleeping? The breeder said they are in a puppy pen so are well used to it but I have no room for it upstairs, Maizy sleeps on our bed which obviously isn’t practical for a puppy but if I leave the puppy in the pen downstairs I think Maizy might not settle? What would you suggest?

One though I had was puppy pen downstairs and crate in our bedroom? But honestly clueless please help!!!

Also any help/ tips with introducing them/ settling them please let me know!

·
Registered
3,656 Posts
We just got a "new Puppy" after almost 12 years (our Chrissy turned 12 in December) and our new Puppy is in a Crate in our Kitchen during some parts of the day and all night. Chrissy has had no problem adjusting to that arrangement since she sleeps upstairs with me on my Bed during the Night.

·
Premium Member
17,307 Posts
I think I remember you! Did we not see photos of your lovely wedding in the UK, or have I lost it altogether?

·
Premium Member
17,307 Posts
Congratulations!!!!!! You will need to post some pictures! How nice to have you back!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you!!

If anyone has any tips on the introduction and possible sleeping arrangements for the new pup please let me know 😊

·
Premium Member
17,307 Posts
It is always a good idea to introduce in a neutral place---like outside at a park for example. Sleeping arrangements should be to protect the older pup's space---as new pups are sometimes over energetic. We kept Lisi & Kitzi apart at first, but it was because he had surgery and needed to stay still. He was in a stroller & she could not get to him.

·
Premium Member
20,000 Posts
There's a whole new format here and I'm not used to it yet either. But I remember your name :) I have an 8 month old maltese who is a bundle of energy!!!!! Oh lordy, I wish I had some of her energy. Your poor 8 year old pup is in for a surprise, lol. My older girls are not into playing all the time!!! The struggle is real. But maybe your children can help tire him/her out. Good luck and enjoy!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts