Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting a new puppy soon. She is just four weeks old right now. I cannot wait to finally have her. Any advice for a first time owner of a maltese?

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Originally posted by Jenny@Nov 22 2005, 11:03 AM
I am getting a new puppy soon. She is just four weeks old right now. I cannot wait to finally have her. Any advice for a first time owner of a maltese?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=122196
[/QUOTE]

OMG!!! OMG!! HOOOOOOOOOOOOOW EXCITING!! Did you pick out a name yet?

Have you bought anything for her yet?? I'm still a somewhat new puppy owner.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Originally posted by Jenny@Nov 22 2005, 10:03 AM
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=122196
[/QUOTE]

Congrats!!!

As far as the advice...you should probably narrow your question down into categories!
There is LOTS of advice on here...that will give everyone a starting point at least....

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
First of...WELCOME!!!! And Congrats!

WE WANT PICTURES!!!! LOL

Are you going to train her to go potty outside or are you going to pad train? If you are going to pad train some people on here can give you the link to some lady on ebay. She sells pads really cheap.

When are you planning on picking up the puppy? How old will she be? Try to get her when she is 12 weeks or older. Why Maltese Puppies need to be 12 weeks old?

Make a vet appointment within a day or so of getting her. You want to make sure she is ok. Also do NOT take her anywhere until she has all of her shots which will be around 16 weeks old. It is also recommended that maltese not get a lepto shot. That is the 'L' part in the DHLPP shot. Make sure you tell them you don't want it before they get the shot ready and then make sure you check with them before they give it. You will have to remind them of this EVERY time you go for the shot.

Are you going to crate train the puppy? If so you will need a crate. If not you can get an exercise pen or baby play pen. I know some people on here have pen from the ferret store. It comes with a water proof floor. I have a pen from PetsMart. You only need one that is 20-24" high.

That is all I can think of right now. If you have any more questions let us know.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
I highly agree with Lexi's Mom. If there is anything that will help guarantee a successful transition in to your home, it is getting her at 12 weeks.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Originally posted by Kallie/Catcher's Mom@Nov 22 2005, 11:33 AM
I highly agree with Lexi's Mom. If there is anything that will help guarantee a successful transition in to your home, it is getting her at 12 weeks.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=122227
[/QUOTE]

From what I HEARD. A good breeder would never sell a puppy BEFORE 12 weeks. I got Chulita at 12 weeks.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
I got Nikki when she was 10 weeks old. The only reason I got her early is because that was the only weekend that I could drive the 14 hours (round trip) to go and pick her up. Sometimes it just can't be helped. Nikki's breeder was a very good one though. Nikki is very well adjusted. She was well socialized with the other dogs and with people.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Congratulations!
I know I was a nervous wreck when I got Violet, but I am glad that I found this site beforehand. This place is a treasuretrove of information. Read up. You'll be an 'expert' in no time.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
My advise - get your heart ready to fall. These little ones are just so unbelievable that your heart swells just thinking about them.

I also agree with Lexi's Mom - 12 weeks will assure your little one a better time of potty training, interacting with other dogs, not crying for attention as much and so many other little things.

Can't wait to see Pictures.

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
Welcome! I'll bet you are excited. We can't wait to hear about your pup.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Originally posted by Lexi's Mom@Nov 22 2005, 12:31 PM
I got Nikki when she was 10 weeks old.  The only reason I got her early is because that was the only weekend that I could drive the 14 hours (round trip) to go and pick her up.  Sometimes it just can't be helped.  Nikki's breeder was a very good one though.  Nikki is very well adjusted.  She was well socialized with the other dogs and with people.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=122266
[/QUOTE]

14 hours :new_Eyecrazy: ahhhh....what we do for for love...LOL

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
You will never experience another love like it!!! It is magical.

~carole and bella~

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Originally posted by bklynlatina+Nov 22 2005, 12:40 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Lexi's Mom
@Nov 22 2005, 12:31 PM
I got Nikki when she was 10 weeks old.  The only reason I got her early is because that was the only weekend that I could drive the 14 hours (round trip) to go and pick her up.  Sometimes it just can't be helped.  Nikki's breeder was a very good one though.  Nikki is very well adjusted.  She was well socialized with the other dogs and with people.

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=122296
[/B][/QUOTE]
Yeah luckily my aunt lived half way between me and the breeder so I was about to drive the 3 hours to her house on Friday and spend the night. I then got up early the next morning and drove the 4 hours to the breeders house, spent like 5hours at the breeders and then drove the 4 hours back to my aunt's. I spent the night there again (my cousins were not going to let me leave without getting to see Nikki). Then on Sunday I got up and drove the 3 hours home. It was a VERY long weekend. Especially since I did all the driving. It was like 960 some miles of driving I think.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Originally posted by Lexi's Mom+Nov 22 2005, 01:58 PM-->
Originally posted by [email protected] 22 2005, 12:40 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-Lexi's Mom
@Nov 22 2005, 12:31 PM

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=122296

[/QUOTE]
Yeah luckily my aunt lived half way between me and the breeder so I was about to drive the 3 hours to her house on Friday and spend the night. I then got up early the next morning and drove the 4 hours to the breeders house, spent like 5hours at the breeders and then drove the 4 hours back to my aunt's. I spent the night there again (my cousins were not going to let me leave without getting to see Nikki). Then on Sunday I got up and drove the 3 hours home. It was a VERY long weekend. Especially since I did all the driving. It was like 960 some miles of driving I think.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=122306
[/B][/QUOTE]

WOW!!!!!!!! INCREDIBLE!!!!!!

I wish I could of found a breeder I could of driven too and maybe with ALOT more research and asking around I MAYBE could of. ... (though I don't think I would drive that many hourss..lol) but I found my breeder on line and after ALOT of on line searching and then speaking with her on the phone I felt she was the breeder I would buy my puppy from. I had to take the day off from work and drive to the airport by myself which I NEVER DID. I was nervous wreck alllllll week and of course even worse the day off. LOL

Well I at least you had a chance for a break.

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
Congrats on the new pup!!

I would have to say that if you ever had another dog before this one... well... this experience with your new Maltese will be completely different. They are so much different than other dogs. They are soo loving and just like little people! You will have so much fun with your new pup! You better post a picture of your new baby when you get one!

If you have a specific question... ask away! We love to help and share our ideas/experiences with you!

·
Registered
802 Posts
Welcome!!

Wow, I am sure waiting another 8 weeks is going to be hard. Hopefully, you can visit...this way your pup will know you before you bring him home, better for the pup.

Get lotsa toys, crate, crate cover, water bottle for the crate, bedding, bowls (metal or ceramic), poo pads and a baby gate if your going to seclude her in one room.

I am getting impatient having to wait four weeks for all the shots to be given so I can take her to puppy play groups.

Soon enough she will be home.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts