Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Little Vanila is TOO picky when it comes to food. I have spent a ton of $ to try to satisfy her ever changing taste buds and I do need advice from you. Because she does not drink enough water she is on wet food at the moment. I have tried Merrick, Go Natural, Innova, Natural Balance and the list goes on. She will eat it one day and the next smell and walk away. This late morning I offered her Wellness Core and she walked away. I even added pureed zucchini. That did not help so I put coco chips on top. She ate the chips and left the food. Any suggestions? I am willing to try anything. THANKS

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
How old is Vanila? My Jill went through a phase where she really wasn't interested in eating too. I would pick up each kibble and hand feed her - that was the only way she would eat. I know it's stressful, especially with such tiny babies. Eventually Jill grew out of it and I'm sure Vanila will too. I would just leave the food out all day and see if she grazes. I'm sure others have recommendations too. Once she starts eating regularly, you can start her on a schedule. Good luck and be patient, "this too shall pass."

·
Premium Member
3,223 Posts
Just curious, what do you mean she does not drink enough water?

I have never found that to be an issue. Perhaps you could explain. This is not something I fuss over. I find that dogs drink when they are thirsty.

As for the food, I have also found that dogs often "train" their owners to keep changing food so they can try something else and the owners oblige by ever escalating the yummy factor until the dog eats. It becomes a bit of a cycle.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just curious, what do you mean she does not drink enough water?

I have never found that to be an issue. Perhaps you could explain. This is not something I fuss over. I find that dogs drink when they are thirsty.

As for the food, I have also found that dogs often "train" their owners to keep changing food so they can try something else and the owners oblige by ever escalating the yummy factor until the dog eats. It becomes a bit of a cycle.
She is being treated for a bladder infection at the moment. I have discussed her drinking issues with the vet. I am usually home with her and I set up fresh water every morning for her. Not daily, but there has been times where she has not touched her water bowl til 11pm at night.
You had a good point. She may be used to me always changing her food that is why she may be expecting something always different.

·
Premium Member
8,543 Posts
:HistericalSmiley:very true. First of all I don't free feed and if it is wet food I would not leave it out all day. You say you are home with her. Start putting the food out in the morning, leave it for max. 1 hour. If she does not touch it, put it away and back out for 1 hour at lunch time. Same thing in the evening. Don't worry she will not let herself starve to death. You will find out when she will most eat. Alex rarely eats in the morning. He has two feedings a day. Sometimes he eats them, sometimes not. He is not a big eater. After all this years we know his habits and when he is hungry and ready to eat he even let us know. So even tho it's only 4 pm he gets his food because the dummy did not touch his lunch. I cannot recommend a particular commercial food. I cook for Alex.

·
Registered
6,246 Posts
Put a drop of honey in the water, they'll usually drink it then.

Nikki can be a little bit of a picky eater. Sometimes I give in, but most times, I've learned to put the food down, and if she doesn't eat after an hour, I take the food up and repeat the same thing next feeding time.

They won't let themselves starve. They are just training us to feed them what they want to eat. My budget doesn't allow for a picky eater for long.

·
Registered
847 Posts
that's a good idea. Milk and water. She might find it tastes better.
I'd be careful about the milk..

From this website (Feeding Dogs & Cats Milk May Cause Diarrhea)

Q. Should I feed my pet milk?
A. Dogs and cats do not have the proper enzymes to properly break down the sugar in milk which is called 'lactose.' You may have heard of people who are lactose-intolerant. They are also missing these digestive enzymes. If the proper enzymes are not present, the lactose remains undigested and tends to ferment in the intestine and cause diarrhea. Some pets can tolerate a little milk, others, none at all. If your pet enjoys and appears to tolerate milk, you can give your pet small amounts. Better yet, give your pet one of the special cat or dog milks on the market that have had the lactose removed.

·
Premium Member
20,059 Posts
My boys are good eaters...but the girls are less likely to finish their meals.

Actually Abbey hardly ever eats her dinner!!! :smilie_tischkante: She's so sure someone else has something better......she's always trying to steal their food. duh, everyone gets the exact same!!!

Anyway I find myself adding chicken or organic chicken broth or something tasty like that to their Merrick's Turducken canned food. The one thing that always works though is to hand feed her. It's a yucky job, but once in a while I still do it just to make sure she's eating. Even little Ava eats better than her :w00t:

But bring a "treat" out and WHAM....Abbey's first in line:innocent:

Good luck.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts