Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having my friend watch sunny while i am out of town and i am getting his hair shaved so she wont have to brush him i just know he is gonna look silly when i get him back

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
Better silly than in pain from mats. I'm glad that you found someone to help you out with your baby. Hope you have a great, worry free trip.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by msmagnolia@Dec 1 2004, 10:24 AM
Better silly than in pain from mats.  I'm glad that you found someone to help you out with your baby.  Hope you have a great, worry free trip.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=19603
[/QUOTE]

Thanks! thats what i keep telling myself if i dont shave it now i am gonna have to cut out big patches when i get back

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Sunny will thank you when you get home and he's mat free! You'll like it too, he'll be so easy to groom when you get back.
Have a great trip!

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by Lilly521@Dec 1 2004, 08:47 AM
I am having my friend watch sunny while i am out of town and i am getting his hair shaved so she wont have to brush him i just know he is gonna look silly when i get him back
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=19593
[/QUOTE]

If you don't want him to be completely shaved, just get him a short puppy cut. That's what Kallie has (it's growing out now) and I hardly ever brush her and she never gets a mat. In my experience, mats seem to occur under the ears and under the legs, mostly from scratching. So, if they don't scratch, they don't usually get mats, if the hair is short.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Lily, I had Pico shaved at around 5 months and he looked adorable! I still have that picture and it brings tears to my eyes to see how tiny he was and what a cutie.

The only problem Pico had with it was that his tail brushed his back and it bothered him. He wouldn't walk! I cut an inch or so off so it didn't touch his back when it curled over him and he was fine after that.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Lilly, ask your groomer if she has a 3F blade (she should). It gives a really nice cut - about 1/2 inch. I use it on Lady in the hot summer months and although it looks short for about the first week or so, after 2 weeks it's a nice, fluffy puppy cut. You shouldn't have any problems with matting either.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Originally posted by Kallie/Catcher's Mom+Dec 1 2004, 12:25 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Lilly521
@Dec 1 2004, 08:47 AM
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=19593
If you don't want him to be completely shaved, just get him a short puppy cut. That's what Kallie has (it's growing out now) and I hardly ever brush her and she never gets a mat. In my experience, mats seem to occur under the ears and under the legs, mostly from scratching. So, if they don't scratch, they don't usually get mats, if the hair is short.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=19659
[/B][/QUOTE]

Brinkley's puppy cut almost never needs brushed either. I brush his ears and under them every night...as well as his tail and the base of it...that is where he seems to mat when he gets them. I think his body hair is about 3/4 inch long. I think it is perfect.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
When Lexi is in a short cut (1/2 inch to 1 inch) I only have to brush her once a week. I love the short cuts. Right now Lexi's hair is almost 4 inches long. She looks really pretty but it is starting to mat like crazy so I think I'm going to cut it tonight.

V

·
0 Posts
I do get the boys haircuts in June..this is always a traumatic thing for me but I ask the groomer for the longest puppy cut possible, which is about 3 inches. The hair grows back so quickly and evenly!

If you wont be around to do the brushing and cobing this is better than coming home to a ruined coat.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I cut Fantasia's hair. Sometimes it comes out great and other times I feel bad for her because she's so embarrassed. She knows when it's a bad haircut. She tries to hide all the time lol. I decided after a bad experience at PetsMart (they did a really bad job) that I would cut her hair from now on. I use human hair cutting scissors (I went to school for cosmetology).
This was one of the good haircuts.

Behind her is the steps up to our bed that my husband built.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Originally posted by FannyMay@Dec 1 2004, 04:55 PM

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=19724
[/QUOTE]

Very cute! I'm not brave enough to do the whole cut with a scissors. I accidently cut her once with a cuticle scissors. She hardly noticed it but I felt so guilty for the rest of the weekend. I only use the scissors (very small scissors) on her face and on mats.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Originally posted by FannyMay@Dec 1 2004, 06:55 PM
I cut Fantasia's hair.  Sometimes it comes out great and other times I feel bad for her because she's so embarrassed.  She knows when it's a bad haircut.  She tries to hide all the time lol.  I decided after a bad experience at PetsMart (they did a really bad job) that I would cut her hair from now on.  I use human hair cutting scissors (I went to school for cosmetology). 

[/QUOTE]

Sunny has spots on the bridge of his nose like that, we got his face trimmed once adn my mom thought something was wrong with him when she saw the spots lol....i really like that cut you have i like his hair up but it mats when i leave it up to long to i guess i am gonna have to cut it oh well it will grow out i was going to need to do this eventully becuase when sunny was really little he was mostly off white for something reason and now his hair is grown in white white and it has like an inch and a half that looks all funys and brown like he is dirty all the time even if he isnt

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Originally posted by FannyMay@Dec 1 2004, 04:55 PM
I cut Fantasia's hair.  Sometimes it comes out great and other times I feel bad for her because she's so embarrassed.  She knows when it's a bad haircut.  She tries to hide all the time lol.  I decided after a bad experience at PetsMart (they did a really bad job) that I would cut her hair from now on.  I use human hair cutting scissors (I went to school for cosmetology). 

[/QUOTE]
She is SOOOO cute, you did a good job! :D We do Caesar's our self too and we are usually cutting hairs we missed for the next week

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by Lexi's Mom@Dec 1 2004, 06:02 PM
Very cute!  I'm not brave enough to do the whole cut with a scissors.  I accidently cut her once with a cuticle scissors.  She hardly noticed it but I felt so guilty for the rest of the weekend.  I only use the scissors (very small scissors) on her face and on mats.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=19726
[/QUOTE]

You may want to try scissors with rounded ends. I don't feel comfrotable with regular scissors but with these I feel I am less likely to cause an accident. The ones I use are small and the ends are round, not pointed. I don't do much grooming on K & C at home but when I do, I use these and I really like them, mainly for their safety.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I am thinking about getting bella cut before the holidays. She is being spayed on December 17th, so between that and traveling and holidays, I scared that she will get matted. We have been lucky so far to not have matts. Bella HATES being brushed but I try to do it at least once every other day and sometimes daily.

I do take her to the groomers about once a month to have her face trimmed and get a bath.

The more I think about it the more I think I'll get it cut

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Originally posted by Kallie/Catcher's Mom+Dec 1 2004, 06:55 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Lexi's Mom
@Dec 1 2004, 06:02 PM

Very cute!  I'm not brave enough to do the whole cut with a scissors.  I accidently cut her once with a cuticle scissors.  She hardly noticed it but I felt so guilty for the rest of the weekend.  I only use the scissors (very small scissors) on her face and on mats.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=19726
You may want to try scissors with rounded ends. I don't feel comfrotable with regular scissors but with these I feel I am less likely to cause an accident. The ones I use are small and the ends are round, not pointed. I don't do much grooming on K & C at home but when I do, I use these and I really like them, mainly for their safety.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=19733
[/B][/QUOTE]

I have a small pair like that. I use it on Lexi's face and sometimes her legs.

I gave Lexi a haircut last night. BAD HAIRCUT! She used to be very good about standing still, but its been almost 4 months since her last cut so she isn't used to the clippers anymore. She is all choppy now because she kept moving. Everytime I tried to trim her back legs and butt she would sit down. :D I ended up having to use the scissors. It looks so bad. She has one spot about the size of a quater that is really short (about 1/8 inch) and the rest of the hair is about 1/2 inch. I took some pictures of her last night. I'll post them later.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Originally posted by Nicolle916@Dec 1 2004, 07:54 PM
I am thinking about getting bella cut before the holidays.  She is being spayed on December 17th, so between that and traveling and holidays, I scared that she will get matted.  We have been lucky so far to not have matts.  Bella HATES being brushed but I try to do it at least once every other day and sometimes daily.

I do take her to the groomers about once a month to have her face trimmed and get a bath. 

The more I think about it the more I think I'll get it cut

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=19737
[/QUOTE]

I would recommend doing it a day or two before she gets spayed. That way she has had a bath and is mat free when she gets spayed. You won't have to worry about grooming as much as she is recovering. Plus vets usually recommend not bathing them for 10 days after.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts