Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok im a bad mother cause we all drink tap water in my house , actually when we drink water , we r not too fond of water in my place.. actually one of my resolutions is to drink more water ...

ummm i give dolce tap. he has developed some staining , not the dark dark red but tear staining nevertheless, but he didnt have this before n hes always drank that water.

·
Registered
10,733 Posts
Maybe a reverse omsosis system,you don't have to do a whole house system,you can do an under the sink unit,that's what we do. I only have one that has tearing but he has a lot of health issues, being a puppymill puppy.

Our cost about $1000,we got it when we did our whole house,we did a heavy duty purification system in the whole house,and RO under the sink.

You can get an undersink system at Lowes or Menards,any home improvement place for about $200-$400,filters run about $20 and last about 3-4 months depending..sometimes longer..

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
10,733 Posts
Michelle u mean like a filter?

It will be a small tank system w/ a filter two fiters inside that push the water through to clean it. The filters are treated or charged to attrack and remove certain minerals. Do you have a Culligan water retailer near you,they can also set it up,might pay a little more,but they service and warantee it.

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah iknow what ur talking about . i had one a long time ago n i moved n left it behind n weve been drinking tap ever since , actually like the taste better , lol .

·
Registered
10,733 Posts
Yeah me too but it's less painful than a kidney stone...childbirth is less painfull and quicker...took me two weeks to pass that sucker!
Krogers used to have a deal ,maybe Miejers does too,you bought a special jug for $2 and you could refill it for 25 cents at the store... we did that for a while but kept forgetting the jug...

·
Registered
10,733 Posts
Ours is set up,the sink has a small faucet dispenser next to it. The regular faucet is tap water,filtered, the little faucet is the RO water,so you can still have tap water for use. We use it to cook w/,also saves on filters. The RO is a 2 gallon tank so it's always ready ,as it's self filling.

·
Premium Member
20,031 Posts
I'm guilty of drinking tap water at home. But I have a brita filtered water pitcher that I give to the dogs. I used to buy gallons of water for them, but this just seems so much easier and cheaper. I treat them better than I treat myself :blush:

·
Registered
10,733 Posts
Same here I used to buy gallons of refilled jugs,until I got sick of them sitting around. Now they get the RO water....
Al laughs,he says all that for dogs ,that as soon as you turn your back,would drink out of the toilet,if you didn't catch them.....

·
Premium Member
6,086 Posts
My fridge has a built-in water filter.(water/ice through the door) I love it! I only have to change it once a year. My girls get filtered and when we travel, I give them bottled. :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
6,086 Posts
I'm guilty of drinking tap water at home. But I have a brita filtered water pitcher that I give to the dogs. I used to buy gallons of water for them, but this just seems so much easier and cheaper. I treat them better than I treat myself :blush:
I give you permission to drink from your Brita pitcher.:HistericalSmiley:

·
Premium Member
8,623 Posts
I use the Brita filtered water pitcher and love it. I've always used bottled water because of the tear stains but now I use the water from the pitcher. We travel some and I read that the changes in water in different areas can cause them problems (the dreaded loose stool) so I use that at home and bottled water when we travel. I don't know if it really makes a difference but they don't have much tearstain.

·
Registered
5,310 Posts
I also use tap water for myself, Chloe, Summer and my 2 cats. I actually like it better than bottled water. Chloe has no tear stains at all and Summer has minimum tear staining.

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
doesnt it taste good ?
I also use tap water for myself, Chloe, Summer and my 2 cats. I actually like it better than bottled water. Chloe has no tear stains at all and Summer has minimum tear staining.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
We have an inexpensive system attached to the kitchen sink - Water Filters by Aquasana - Official Site When we need water for drinking or cooking (dogs included), you just pull a little lever and it filters the water through the filter. We replace cartridges ever 6 months (I believe). I think a lot would depend on the quality of water in your public system...where I grew up the water was wonderful, lovely and no problem drinking it from the tap. Here in Vegas is has all kinds of nasty things, including rocket fuel and prescription meds contaminating it so don't feel comfortable drinking from the tap but didn't have thousands to spend on a big system. Tear staining could also be coming from allergies...has there been a switch in food or anything lately that could have triggered teary eyes?

·
Premium Member
1,466 Posts
We all drink straight tap water here, Delilah to and she's never had a problem. Our water tends to be on the soft side. I do want one of those Brita water pitchers though, for me of course. :)

·
Premium Member
4,623 Posts
My new fridge has a filtered water dispenser. That is what we all use, includnig the doggies. Before the new fridge, I used a Britta.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Brita is very good but I give Vanilla DISTILLED water which i buy every week in the jugs. After researching on how to prevent urine infections in dogs distilled water was reccommended by many because of the zero minerals in has.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts