Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
he cried, wailed, howled and barked all night. my neighbors are understandably and utterly angry and i can't keep him or i will most definitely be kicked out of my apartment complex. even though it allows pets. i can't afford a 700 loss and i can't get a hold of the breeder as she might be delivering other puppies to people. i can't keep him here another night and i hate to let him go. i have no idea on what to do.

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
dont freak out just yet.

do you have someone's house you can stay at until he calms down at night?

i'd hate to see your little baby go

keep us updated

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
That little tiny pup is crying loud enough to annoy the neighbors?
Bless both your hearts!
Surely there is a way to fix this without getting rid of him....what about staying at a friend's house? Surely he will settle in soon. I have never had one that young, so I don't have any experience. Is everything ok with him? I just can't imagine that amount of crying-barking yes-but not crying.

Ok, never mind, I just read again that he is howling and barking...poor baby. Does he do this even if he is sleeping by you? Maybe you need to sleep on the couch together for a few nights...or in a chair/recliner...maybe even put his crate up on the bed by you. I don't know, but surely there is an answer other than getting rid of him.
How many days has he been there? Just a few right?

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Ok, first relax. Take a reality check...if your apartment allows pets, then you won't be kicked out regardless of what the neighbors say. It sounds like you may be having buyers remorse...but I don't think your puppy was an impulse purchase. If I'm not mistaken, you brought him home at 8 weeks, right? Well, how about asking the breeder to take him back for another 4 weeks until he's 12 weeks? There is a reason why pups shouldn't be brought home too young, and unfortunately, you've discovered one of the reasons the hard way. If the breeder isn't willing to take him back for a few weeks, then try an old fashioned alarm clock that ticks. Also, you may want to try a hot water bottle wrapped up in a towel. Is the puppy in his crate but sleeping in your room? That might help. Or maybe get him a stuffed animal that he can cuddle up with at night. This is a stage that all puppies go through when they first come home. They miss their litter mates and their mommy. It's up to you to create a sense of security for him. Once he feels more secure, he'll stop crying. Of course all that is predicated on there being no medical reason for his crying. You'll get through this and too bad for your neighbors.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
I hate to say it but this is why Maltese puppies should stay with their mommy and siblings until at least 12 weeks.. (OK 11 is probably OK...) He is just freaked out and he will eventually be OK... it just takes a couple days. I guess it depends on how much you want him. I know this sounds weird but you could always sleep in your car ... OK... that might be too drastic!!
Does your bedroom wall connect to your neighbor's unit? If so, then perhaps you could sleep in another part of the apartment. ??

What was your sleeping arrangement last night? Did he sleep in a crate away from you or even in your room... if so, then he will cry for sure... they almost always do. I do believe if you sleep in a lounge chair or sofa and put him on your chest and let him snuggle at your neck that you both will sleep soundly...

Please keep us posted.... I know it is overwhelming... I was the same way with my first Maltese, Rosebud many years ago.....

If you want to PM me I will give you my email address in case you have any urgent issues or if I can help further in any way....

·
Registered
608 Posts
Just out of curiousity how do you know your neibors are that upset? You might try explaing to them that his is just temporary and you are doing all you can to help him get thru his first nights away from mom. I know Ranger our lab we got at 6 weeks took three nights to get used to sleeping in his crate.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Puddles started crying the 1st night so I put a large towel over his crate. He also had lots of stuff animals and chew toys in his crate. Hubby put one of my socks I had worn that day in the crate also (maybe that did it). But once the towel was over the crate and all the stuff, we got quite (no foot steps) he settled down.

To you both, it will work out, I'm sure

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
Oh, Gizzysmommy - don't give up! Abbey had a hard time adjusting too. But now after almost 3 weeks of crying and howling at night she has slept the last 3 nights without so much as a peep! I know they won't cry at all if they can sleep with you, but this was not an option for us (hubby totally refused!). Abbey is now 16 weeks old! What I have learned is that these little pups just want to be near you.

If you are allowed pets in your apartment, I would just talk to your neighbors and I'm certain most will understand. Good Luck! I wish you and Gizzy the best!

·
Registered
226 Posts
You can get rid of your puppy! Abbey's mommy read my mind! Don't give up!!! I've never had a puppy that cried during the nights, I wonder if it's because he misses his mommy. I think it would be a great idea to take him back to the breeder for a few weeks until he's a little older. Plus, you are going to miss him like crazy!!!

Our best,

Nousha and Tessa

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
well, I say try everything you can to keep your baby. Oliver cried for 2 nights...I finally just brought him into the bed w/ me and he calmed and was happy as a clam!

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Oh no!! Don't give up on him!! He's just lonely without his littermates. Peanut was the same was for the first few nights. I moved his crate into our bedroom and yea he still whined a little, but it was a MAJOR improvement. If that doesn't help I would agree with the others and just ask the breeder if they could keep him a little while longer.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Originally posted by gizzysmommy@Apr 16 2005, 08:03 AM
he cried, wailed, howled and barked all night. my neighbors are understandably and utterly angry and i can't keep him or i will most definitely be kicked out of my apartment complex. even though it allows pets. i can't afford a 700 loss and i can't get a hold of the breeder as she might be delivering other puppies to people. i can't keep him here another night and i hate to let him go. i have no idea on what to do. 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=53241
[/QUOTE]

I live in an apartment that allows pets. I don't think they can kick you out that quickly if at all. Have you tried sleeping with him? It may not be the ideal situation but just to calm him down for now. I don't think you should give up so quickly. Miko was 12 wks when we brought him home so he didn't really cry. But the breeder recommended if he did cry to give him a ticking clock wrapped in a towel (so it would be kind of like lying next to his mommy's tummy). There are also some toys that kind of immitate this. Good luck and don't try to give him away so quickly.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
try to play with him a lot so that he's SUPER tired at night. and then he'll sleep.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thanks for all your encouraging words and yes i know it's ideal to bring him home at 12 weeks. the breeder lives 6 hours away and at this point i'm not sure i want to bring him back to her for 4 more weeks since all his littermates are all already gone so it wouldn't make that big of a difference. i have talked to my neighbors though and i think i have smoothed things over. wish me luck

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Just a suggestion...There's a teddybear at the nursery section at target that emulates a heartbeat. Is your baby every happy at all?

I sorta find it weird that everyone says to go running to your baby whenever they howl or cry.
I thought you have to let them until they stop. Or else they'll make the connection that you'll let them have what they want from howling/crying/barking. Now I'm confused.

I know your situation is a little different. GOOD LUCK and don't give up!

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
I wish there was a book for Maltese owners and potential Maltese owners that really gave down to earth help. Most books are very superficial and don't have "nitty gritty" info. It needs chapters such as:

1. How to Choose A Breeder - How to Recognize A Reputable Breeder
2. BYB, Puppymills, Brokers, Breeders and Show Breeders Explained
3. Questions to Ask Potential Breeders
4. What to Have On Hand Before He/She Arrives
5. The 12-Week Rule and Why It is Important
6. Hypoglycemia
7. Size and Weight
8. Puppy Play Pens
9. Dog Carriers and Car Seats
10. His/Her First Night Home With You
11. Potty Training - Potty Pads and Outdoors
12. Cujo Appears - How to Deal With Biting, Nipping, Being Mouthy, etc.
13. Feeding Your Maltese
14. Fun and Safe Toys For Your Maltese
15. Obedience Training
16. Walking On A Leash
17. Dealing With Issues Such as Biting, Aggression, Dominance, Barking, etc.
18. Where to Sleep?
19. Crate Training
20. Genetic Diseases and Conditions (Liver, Knees, Retained Teeth, etc.)
21. Spaying or Neutering - Reasons Why It Should Be Done
22. After-Surgery Care - Spaying and Neutering

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Originally posted by Nichole+Apr 16 2005, 03:40 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-ButterCloudandNoriko
@Apr 16 2005, 03:35 PM
I sorta find it weird that everyone says to go running to your baby whenever they howl or cry.  
I thought you have to let them until they stop.  Or else they'll make the connection that you'll let them have what they want from howling/crying/barking.  Now I'm confused.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=53308
I have always heard that you aren't supposed to do that too, but when Toby cried, I thought it was just cruel to have him crying when I knew all he wanted was to be by me. Why make him suffer like that? You know?

Also, doing that, has made him very much a Momma's boy!
It doesn't get much better than that!

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=53309
[/B][/QUOTE]

Yeah I know...Maybe try to play with him sooooo much, that he'll be too tired to bark and howl!?!?!? Lol

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by Nichole+Apr 16 2005, 04:40 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-ButterCloudandNoriko
@Apr 16 2005, 03:35 PM
I thought you have to let them until they stop.  Or else they'll make the connection that you'll let them have what they want from howling/crying/barking.  Now I'm confused.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=53308
I have always heard that you aren't supposed to do that too, but when Toby cried, I thought it was just cruel to have him crying when I knew all he wanted was to be by me. Why make him suffer like that? You know?

Also, doing that, has made him very much a Momma's boy!
It doesn't get much better than that!

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=53309
[/B][/QUOTE]

Nichole, I agree with you. I think by tending to Catcher's needs those first couple nights he is a much more trusting and loving dog. He knows that if he needs me, I am there for him... Just like with a baby. He would rather be with me than just do just about anything else.

Personally, I don't think you can spoil a puppy his/her first few days at home. This is a bonding time and also is a stressful time for the puppy, who has just left the only family he/she has ever known. And when they leave that home too soon, I think it is even more important to spoil the puppy a little bit (or a lot!)

As they have gotten older I have let K & C bark in their crates and then they'll settle down. They're darn good dogs... Both are just so sweet and the greatest of companions... but that has come about over several months... first, the bonding has to occur.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts