Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 135 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, i have never been so disappointed before in my life. This Malt I got has been nothing but a pain in the butt since the day we brought her home. I have had her professionally trained, TWICE, and am going thru it again a third time. She even spent a solid week at the trainer's house!

On top of the behavioral/puppy issues, I have just not bonded with this dog. She is waaay to independent for me -- I wanted a more submissive, quiet little dog. I am just not at all happy. And you know she can't be too happy, either.

I live in Charlotte -- does anyone know where I could sell her? Anyone here interested in a little headstrong companion? I am at my wit's end...

(Heck, I'd even be interested in a trade at this point.)

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Awww....I feel so sad for both of you!
What are the problems? How old is she? Is she spayed? I definitely wouldn't trade..ha ha...my little darlin' wouldn't suit your needs either...ha ha...I'll trade ya a sweet cat!
No, seriously..maybe we can help with the problems...fill us in...

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
She's 6 months old, not spayed yet, and all of her permanent teeth have come in. She is headstrong in everything she does. She gets into EVERYthing even after we have taught her "no." She behaves pretty well when the trainer is here, but get me alone with her and forget it -- she's suddenly "forgotten" everything she just learned.

And the chase/keep away thing I can't stand. At first it was funny, but I don't have the patience for it anymore. I want a dog that minds better than this. Cuddling on the couch to watch TV or read a book?? Forget it! She nibbles on my ear, my hair, my fingers, the remote control, the pages of my book -- no matter what I say or do to get her to stop or how many chew toys she has to keep her occupied. She just doesn't get it! I'm ashamed to say that she spends a LOT of time in her crate which just isn't fair to her. I feel really badly for her -- I'm just not the right owner for her.

DH spent all day yesterday re-doing our picket fence. There used to be 4" gaps between the pickets and Lizzie would escape every chance she got. Now there's just a 1" gap between them. That was a lot of work and if she can squeeze thru that, then she deserves her freedom.

Please don't tell me that ALL Maltese are like this??

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
I am sure all aren't ha ha...but it sounds a lot like mine was at 6 months. She is still a baby....
Sounds like puppy antics to me...
When the trainer came, what were they working on primarily?

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We're working on staying to my left on the leash and heal. And also to stop barking outside all the time. Also started "stay" and "come" the other day, for the third time....

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Yes all Malts are like this, especially puppies! No offence but what did you expect from a puppy. She's only 6 months old.
If you really want a dog that is going to be perfect for you then you should get a robo dog. No but really you should check your local shelters. If you get an adult dog then you will already know it's temperament and it will already be spayed or neutered. I wish I lived closer because I would take her in a heart beat. I do have family in NC about an hour or so from you but I wouldn't be able to pick her up even from my parents as it's a 12 hour drive for us and we only go there for Christmas. Plus we aren't going this year anyway. Maybe someone here can find you a good rescue in your area so you can give her to them.
I wouldn't sell her because if you put her in the paper to sell her then you never know who is going to end up with her. Some people will say anything (even lie) to get a cute Maltese. Ask your trainer if they know anyone who would like to take her off your hands. Ask your vet if they know anyone who would want a Maltese. Ask around the dog community (good for you for coming here first).
I wish you luck and hope you find what you are looking for and a nice home for your baby.

P.S. I didn’t mean to sound mean so please don’t take it that way. I just want what’s best for this Maltese.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Originally posted by SpottyPoo@Mar 20 2005, 03:24 PM
We're working on staying to my left on the leash and heal. And also to stop barking outside all the time. Also started "stay" and "come" the other day, for the third time.... 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=44628
[/QUOTE]

We aren't that advanced at one year

Brinkley sits, dances, rolls over, will leave things, but with "uh-uh" or "no"...not "leave it"-he will stay for a few seconds...enough to keep him from darting out the front door, through the gate, etc. We are working on "settle" and "no bark" as well as not pulling on the leash etc. It is not working well..
Probably as much our fault as his...we find more fun things to do than work on training.
We are happy with pottying correctly and playing nicely. Our expectations are not as high as some.

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
sounds to me like she is just being a puppy. if you do get rid of her, i wouldnt get another puppy. maybe an older dog...but i hope u can work it out with her. she just needs time to grow up and mature.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
If your looking for a quite little dog, you better consider an older dog. I have never known a "puppy" to be quite! :new_Eyecrazy:

When I got Puddles, I was not doing to well with the potty training issue and did a discussion on it. I was about ready to sell him myself.
I will never forget a lady on here just told me off.
She hit the nail on the head for me and made me open my eyes. She said maybe it was me and not Puddles, that I was expecting to much from a puppy. That I needed to chill out and find me some patience's.
Well, that's exactly what I did and now Puddles is the most loving doggie ever!! Potty trained and well behaved, most of the time....love him dearly. :D

Your malt may be acting up, cause she knows things are not going well and you hate her. They are smarter than you may think. Find her a nice home and give her away, you both will be happier.

You said "Charlotte" do you mean, Charlotte, NC.
I live 30 minutes from there and know someone that would love to have her.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
I would have to convince hubby, but I would love to have her too...
She sounds like a fun riot to me!

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
You need to find a trainer who will teach you how to interact with and understand your dog's behavior and stick with them or return her to the breeder. Any reputable breeder will demand the puppy be returned to them. Otherwise, you should find a reputable rescue organization to place her with so that she will go to a properly screened home that is prepared for a pup who is use to being out of control.

You describe normal dog behavior that takes a lot of time and work to curb and build more human-appropriate behaviors. She may be independent, but she also sounds highly motivated and smart. If you can't be committed to her, please do give her back to the breeder or place her with a rescue (or send her to me hehehe I looove a challenge).

Maltese as a breed are manipulative little dogs. Most people underestimate their energy level and the amount of training necessary to have a well-adjusted Maltese. I LOVE that about the breed. However, that does not mean they are right for everyone. If in the future you are interested in another dog, you might consider a different breed and an adult rescue that has been fostered or is a retired breeding animal. Their activity level and temperament will be better screened and may match you better.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
I think it sounds like she is being a puppy, maybe more difficult than some, but as with any dog, I think you need to put in time into training her. However, if you really just can't take it, then be sure to carefully screen who you sell her to since she is not spayed yet.

Our little boy was difficult when he was very young, but I just assumed most pupps are like that. He still would rather play than cuddle and he is almost 2 yrs old.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
awwww. It's such a shame that you are having a mis-match. The problem here is due to unrealistic expectations. So many people get a Malt expecting a passive little lap sitter. They don't realize that, although some Malts are calm as babies, most of them are very active. They aren't born happy little lap sitters--they become loving lapsitters when they are raised with careful, loving attention and are properly trained.

Sylphide was a mischievous little monster as a puppy, but we knew what to expect and loved her for who she is. She is now a wonderful young adult who is still very active, but obedient, and loves to lapsit. She will never be passive. She grunts, groans, barks and growls when asked to do something she doesn't feel like doing (but does it anyway). We put a lot of energy into her training and development.

Part of the problem might be that you handed the training over to a trainer. In that case, your puppy will respect and obey the trainer who has taken the time to work with her, but if you look at it from her perspective, why should she obey you ? You have to earn her respect as much as she has to earn yours.

Locking her in a crate will in no way alleviate the situation. What she most needs now is lots of love, cuddles, play, and acceptance from you. Have you considered taking her to training yourself rather than having someone train her? It's a great way to bond. If she is very active, beginning agility will really channel her energy and be fun for both of you (as long as you don't have unrealistic expectations are realize that you are doing this for her and not to have her behave perfectly or win something).

Malts her age end up abandoned because they are at that difficult in between stage (it's adolescence! but most parents don't give up their kids, LOL!). If you only give her lots of time and attention, she'll soon be 10 months, then 12, then 15, etc. and before you know it she'll be all grown up. They get better every month, promise!

But, if you really can't handle her, I do agree that you might want to find her a loving home with experienced Maltese owners. Please don't give her to just anyone or leave her in a shelter. Place her in rescue if you don't know what else to do.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Poor baby. What did the trainers say? Were they not able to train her? I don't really have any advice since everyone else's advice seems appropriate. There were a couple of us who at one point admitted that for a second, we felt we regret getting our maltese because it was SOOOOOOO HARD. But in the end, I'd do it again because they are such a great breed.

Good luck and do what's best for you and her.

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Having patience is key to having a puppy. Some people just are not prepared to deal with that level of commitment. I really have to give you credit for being able to admit that maybe a puppy isn't what you really wanted at this point in your life. May I ask, where did she come from? Is your breeder willling to take the puppy back? Maybe in exchange for an older dog? I think, without trying to be too judgmental, that you need to do some deep soul searching and figure out what it is you are looking for out of a relationship with a pet. I have an almost seven month old puppy, and the behavior you describe would fit her to a tee. For me, that's what we wanted...a puppy that would play and grow up with our three children. I would caution you against "selling" your pup to the highest bidder. That's not going to make you feel any better, and you might not know what kind of situation the dog will be placed into (unless of course you sell her to a friend, or family member). I really urge you to contact the breeder, or a maltese/small breed rescue group. My mother always has a wonderful comment about the mistakes we make in life, it was a cheap lesson that was expensive to learn. Don't look to recoup your losses, because that will never happen. Live, learn and move on.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
I applaud you for having the honesty to admit that this breed and this dog just may not be right for you.

If you did not happen to buy from a reputable breeder who will take her back, I urge you to put her in rescue. They will carefully screen any future home for her and make sure that she does not end up going from home to home throughout her life. Here is the contact information for Northcentral Maltese Rescue. They are very well respected and extremely picky about where they place their dogs and have a very lengthy application for those wishing to adopt one of their rescues. There is an area on their site where you can tell them about your baby.

Here is the main site: Northcentral Maltese Rescue Home Page

Northcentral Maltese - Surrendering Your Maltese To Rescue

Please keep us posted.

·
Registered
227 Posts
She's 6 months old, not spayed yet, and all of her permanent teeth have come in. She is headstrong in everything she does. She gets into EVERYthing even after we

Sorry you all are having such a time of it with your little girl. To me, She sounded like the typical puppy in your description! Now see I would love the nibbling on the ear or seeing her nibble on the edge of a book lol I have many a book with little nibbled cornors. With Muffett At 4 years old, Its still a battle at night when I want to read and she has a whole other idea of how the nigh the should end. And Im sure her idea of the perfect nights end, is not with ME reading a book! ! To deter me from reading, she will give a kiss than lay down, give a kiss than lye down...over and over again, you get the picture!

I dont read much anymore.

Puppyhood with any breed is Work. IMO it sure doesnt end at 6 months she is still a little pupster!

Maltese are child like in many respects.........they really are a darling breed. Im sorry for all your troubles, and hope you find the best possible solution, for both you and the dog.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by SpottyPoo@Mar 20 2005, 03:20 PM
Please don't tell me that ALL Maltese are like this?? 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=44626
[/QUOTE]

Well, I hate to say it but I do think all Maltese are like yours... in one way or another. This morning, for example, I wanted to sleep late but K & C were not having it. Kallie was on and off the bed with her bone, wanting me to throw it to her. Catcher was bathing my face and neck with his tongue. Then Kallie got on my head and was sticking her tongue in my eyes (yuk) and ears. They were all over me .... and I lOVED IT!!!!

And reading a book is done at the kitchen table... no way could I ever do it with them on the sofa near me... they'd be trying to get my attention, which is what your baby is trying to do with you.

These little guys live for love, IMHO.

In l990 when I got my first Maltese, Rosebud, I was somewhat in the shape you are. I was a first-time Malt owner I was overwhelmed with how feisty and wild she was and I didn't know how to handle her. I had gotten her at just under 8 weeks old.

I truly thought of giving her away to a friend in another city who had one Maltese already. I didn't feel we had bonded at all. I wish I could remember when it did happen but it did and she became the love of my life. She was alway quirky but it was just her personality and I loved her dearly for who she was....

Oh, and sometimes you get a cuddler and sometimes not... it can't be predicted. Kallie was a big cuddler as a puppy but now she only cuddles when we're in bed. Otherwise she lives to have the ball thrown to her.... she's totally obsessive about it. Catcher lives to cuddle and wants to be in my arms 24/7. But who would have known...

I wish I were in your town so I could help in some way......

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
This happened to my friend w/ her mini doxie. She couldn't handle her puppy being a wild one
She also got rid of hers, and then totally regretted it.. she sent hers back to the breeder, btw.

I'm sorry things with your pup aren't working out. You may think you haven't bonded, but I'm sure your little baby has bonded w/ you... just something to think about.

I agree w/ K/C mom, a rescue is definitely the way to go

Better luck next time? Once again, I'm truly sorry things didn't work out..

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
i agree with everyone:

1. she's a puppy....all my dogs acted WORSE!!! LOL

2. DONT PUT HER IN A CRATE!! she wants to play "a tired dog is a good dog"

3. puppies are there to PLAY!!!

and there are malts that dont want to cuddle(like ellie). and i know there's a few posters that were upset about that. good luck. and if you dont plan to keep her...i hope she finds a great home.

1 - 20 of 135 Posts