Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Banned
1,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What do you collect, if anything?

I got to thinking, maybe someone here collects things that others might consider - - - well, less than desirable.

Perhaps I could clean out my entire garage and attic! ;)

So, what do you collect?

·
Premium Member
8,521 Posts
I've started collecting Maltese figurines, well heck anything related to maltese. I also collect Madame Alexander dolls. I have a couple of Lladro's but then moved onto Thomas Kincade plates and then moved onto some cute birdhouses, but the dolls and the maltese seem to be my biggest collections.

·
Banned
1,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I need to unload - I have so much stuff, that I'm tired of not having room for the things I love.

My great aunt died at 102 and my grandmother at 98 - I wanted to keep their things - and I have kept them meticulously packed away - but it's just not feasible any longer.

Hence, the question about collecting . . .

·
Banned
1,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There are no Maltese items in their collections. But I’m willing to bet that I have just about anything else - anyone collects. I refuse to sell any of it, to me, that would be like selling their souls - it’s better to give it away - or Goodwill it -

125 hankies - what does one person do with 125 hankies, all perfectly pressed and folded - see, what I mean - someone may love hankies, to me, not so much.

I'm going to take a picture of the volume of stuff tomorrow!

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
I collect Nutcrackers. Strange huh? But when I was a little girl I was so in love with the story of the Nutcracker and the ballet that my grandmother bought me a Nutcracker doll. She has given me one every Christmas from the time I was about 6. I keep them packed away during the year but at Christmas time they all come out and get put around the house, each with their own special memory of the Christmas that it was given to me :wub: I also collect different things related to music :)

·
Registered
13,404 Posts
I collected Maltese figurines for years. I've given a few away but haven't parted with any more yet.
I also collected Terri Lee dolls. Allie, I wish I'd known of your hankie collection. I could have added to it a year ago. I gave them away. :(

·
Banned
1,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Cosy,

Dear heavens, I don't collect anything - the hankies belong to my great aunt, and they went off to goodwill today -

Thank you for your thoughts -

I thought, hey, maybe I can clean out via SM - if I see things that people collect and I have them to give away - then YIPPEEEEE for me, and good for them!

·
Banned
1,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I collected Maltese figurines for years. I've given a few away but haven't parted with any more yet.
I also collected Terri Lee dolls. Allie, I wish I'd known of your hankie collection. I could have added to it a year ago. I gave them away. :(
Cosy,

I have two Terri Lee dolls - I got them when I was five years old! They are from the 50's and it's always scared me to death to look at them - I have them packed away.

·
Premium Member
24,178 Posts
I collect dolls from foreign countries, I have been collecting them for years, when I get a new doll I pray over it for the country and the people who live in the counrty' here's a couple pictures of my dolls

I also started collecting Christmas ornaments from every state in the USA, unfortunately I only have 15 states.

·
Premium Member
8,521 Posts
I collect dolls from foreign countries, I have been collecting them for years, when I get a new doll I pray over it for the country and the people who live in the counrty' here's a couple pictures of my dolls

I also started collecting Christmas ornaments from every state in the USA, unfortunately I only have 15 states.

Paula, i love your collection of dolls and love the fact that you pray over the dolls for the country and people in the country.

What states do you have so far?

·
Premium Member
24,033 Posts
Well now I'm collecting knitting needles, thanks to you. :HistericalSmiley::HistericalSmiley:
I collect Russian Boxes. They're black lacquer boxes that are hand painted in Russia for probably hundreds of years.I admired them many years ago and my DH bought me one as my wedding present. Since that time I have collected many more. Most of them symbolize Russian Fairy Tales like The Firebird, the Snow Maiden, etc. There are eight layers of lacquer often and some of the strokes are so minute that they're made with one hair of a paintbrush. There are lots of cheap boxes out there but the key is to find them signed and in their boxes with Russian documentation. I think they're so beautiful.
I have a couple of Madame Alexander Dolls - little women series and another couple of dolls I know nothing about but have kept since my childhood. Maybe Debbie can ID them for me if I post pix.
I have to laugh at your great aunt's hankies. My mom - who died 11 years ago at age 90 had a whole collection too...initials, flowers, etc. Ladies carried hankies; I carry purse size Kleenex. Guess I'm not a lady.:HistericalSmiley: I must say though when my DS was a child and got a cold, nothing was as soft as those hankies.:)

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
I collect buttons. The big pin on your shirt type buttons. They have funny sayings, or scenes from movies, or pictures of random things. Along with the buttons, I also collect lapel pins. I have over 300 buttons and pins.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
I try so hard not to collect yet I'm always looking to rehome something. What will never leave here is my grandmother's china, my aunt's teacup collection, and my fabrics. I cherish having enough time to cook a nice meal and serve it (even for just me) on nice china. An occasional gift to myself is a pot of tea that I drink from one of the teacups while watching an old movie. And even if I never get the quilt done that I thought I'd do when I bought the fabrics, I still love looking at the fabrics. If I could live out my dream I would collect antique Shaker furniture, antique samplers, and old quilts.

·
Banned
1,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I try so hard not to collect yet I'm always looking to rehome something. What will never leave here is my grandmother's china, my aunt's teacup collection, and my fabrics. I cherish having enough time to cook a nice meal and serve it (even for just me) on nice china. An occasional gift to myself is a pot of tea that I drink from one of the teacups while watching an old movie. And even if I never get the quilt done that I thought I'd do when I bought the fabrics, I still love looking at the fabrics. If I could live out my dream I would collect antique Shaker furniture, antique samplers, and old quilts.
Oh Mary, look at you - you're a kindred.

Do you like the teacup collection, or do you keep them because they were your aunts? Are you looking to add more to your collection?

I thought for years, I had to keep everything that I inherited, I just can't do it any longer - I'm carrying around everyone’s "collections" - I realize now, that it’s O.K. to pass these things along to others - they can make "new chapters" in another life . . .

·
Banned
1,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

My goodness Paula - you do have a very fine collection there. You have them displayed very nicely.

Allie

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.