Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

I collect . . .

2K views 48 replies 24 participants last post by  heartmadeforyou 
#1 · (Edited)
What do you collect, if anything?

I got to thinking, maybe someone here collects things that others might consider - - - well, less than desirable.

Perhaps I could clean out my entire garage and attic! ;)

So, what do you collect?

#3 ·
I've started collecting Maltese figurines, well heck anything related to maltese. I also collect Madame Alexander dolls. I have a couple of Lladro's but then moved onto Thomas Kincade plates and then moved onto some cute birdhouses, but the dolls and the maltese seem to be my biggest collections.

#34 ·
I've started collecting Maltese figurines, well heck anything related to maltese. I also collect Madame Alexander dolls. I have a couple of Lladro's but then moved onto Thomas Kincade plates and then moved onto some cute birdhouses, but the dolls and the maltese seem to be my biggest collections.

I will look for Kincade, it seems to be that they're are a lot of hand painted plates, with birds on them. I'll have to check the artist.

#4 ·
I need to unload - I have so much stuff, that I'm tired of not having room for the things I love.

My great aunt died at 102 and my grandmother at 98 - I wanted to keep their things - and I have kept them meticulously packed away - but it's just not feasible any longer.

Hence, the question about collecting . . .

#6 ·
There are no Maltese items in their collections. But I’m willing to bet that I have just about anything else - anyone collects. I refuse to sell any of it, to me, that would be like selling their souls - it’s better to give it away - or Goodwill it -

125 hankies - what does one person do with 125 hankies, all perfectly pressed and folded - see, what I mean - someone may love hankies, to me, not so much.

I'm going to take a picture of the volume of stuff tomorrow!

#7 ·
I collect Nutcrackers. Strange huh? But when I was a little girl I was so in love with the story of the Nutcracker and the ballet that my grandmother bought me a Nutcracker doll. She has given me one every Christmas from the time I was about 6. I keep them packed away during the year but at Christmas time they all come out and get put around the house, each with their own special memory of the Christmas that it was given to me :wub: I also collect different things related to music :)

#8 ·
I collected Maltese figurines for years. I've given a few away but haven't parted with any more yet.
I also collected Terri Lee dolls. Allie, I wish I'd known of your hankie collection. I could have added to it a year ago. I gave them away. :(

#10 ·
I collected Maltese figurines for years. I've given a few away but haven't parted with any more yet.
I also collected Terri Lee dolls. Allie, I wish I'd known of your hankie collection. I could have added to it a year ago. I gave them away. :(
Cosy,

I have two Terri Lee dolls - I got them when I was five years old! They are from the 50's and it's always scared me to death to look at them - I have them packed away.

#9 ·
Cosy,

Dear heavens, I don't collect anything - the hankies belong to my great aunt, and they went off to goodwill today -

Thank you for your thoughts -

I thought, hey, maybe I can clean out via SM - if I see things that people collect and I have them to give away - then YIPPEEEEE for me, and good for them!

#13 ·
Well now I'm collecting knitting needles, thanks to you. :HistericalSmiley::HistericalSmiley:
I collect Russian Boxes. They're black lacquer boxes that are hand painted in Russia for probably hundreds of years.I admired them many years ago and my DH bought me one as my wedding present. Since that time I have collected many more. Most of them symbolize Russian Fairy Tales like The Firebird, the Snow Maiden, etc. There are eight layers of lacquer often and some of the strokes are so minute that they're made with one hair of a paintbrush. There are lots of cheap boxes out there but the key is to find them signed and in their boxes with Russian documentation. I think they're so beautiful.
I have a couple of Madame Alexander Dolls - little women series and another couple of dolls I know nothing about but have kept since my childhood. Maybe Debbie can ID them for me if I post pix.
I have to laugh at your great aunt's hankies. My mom - who died 11 years ago at age 90 had a whole collection too...initials, flowers, etc. Ladies carried hankies; I carry purse size Kleenex. Guess I'm not a lady.:HistericalSmiley: I must say though when my DS was a child and got a cold, nothing was as soft as those hankies.:)

#15 ·
I try so hard not to collect yet I'm always looking to rehome something. What will never leave here is my grandmother's china, my aunt's teacup collection, and my fabrics. I cherish having enough time to cook a nice meal and serve it (even for just me) on nice china. An occasional gift to myself is a pot of tea that I drink from one of the teacups while watching an old movie. And even if I never get the quilt done that I thought I'd do when I bought the fabrics, I still love looking at the fabrics. If I could live out my dream I would collect antique Shaker furniture, antique samplers, and old quilts.

#17 ·
I try so hard not to collect yet I'm always looking to rehome something. What will never leave here is my grandmother's china, my aunt's teacup collection, and my fabrics. I cherish having enough time to cook a nice meal and serve it (even for just me) on nice china. An occasional gift to myself is a pot of tea that I drink from one of the teacups while watching an old movie. And even if I never get the quilt done that I thought I'd do when I bought the fabrics, I still love looking at the fabrics. If I could live out my dream I would collect antique Shaker furniture, antique samplers, and old quilts.
Oh Mary, look at you - you're a kindred.

Do you like the teacup collection, or do you keep them because they were your aunts? Are you looking to add more to your collection?

I thought for years, I had to keep everything that I inherited, I just can't do it any longer - I'm carrying around everyone’s "collections" - I realize now, that it’s O.K. to pass these things along to others - they can make "new chapters" in another life . . .

#22 ·
I collect antique victorian boxes and vanity sets,mirrors and brushes. Antique eyeglasses,I love the delicate designs,they inspire me to make my own eyeglasses.

Anything Art Nouveau,Alphonse Mucha,fairies.

Of course doggie related,mostly Cocker and Malt.

Antique furniture,vintage clothing,victorian to 1930's.

Antique jewellery.

I love antique tools too,gears and funky old stuff to use or hang on the walls.

I love antique sewing goodies and tools,I use them for my art,plus I use antique storage like old sewing drawers. It's just fun to have old stuff around to use or display,it seems to take you away and put you in another place.

Sometimes I steampunk my stuff,make modern look victorian.... I steampunked a computer but a friend wanted it bad so I traded for some much needed car parts for Al's Camaro.

#24 ·
It's like that w/ me and antique silverware. I can't help myself,I just love them. I can't decide on one pattern so I just mish mosh them. I don't have matching silverware and it's fun. Same with antique dresser boxes,just love'm can't explain why.
It's neat that you use them and for things other than tea. That's what makes it fun,sure beats dusting them...

#25 ·
Michelle - I've always loved antique jewelry too. Things that aren't necessarily jewelry either than I can wear that way, esp sterling silver. I forgot to say that I collect dance cards. Yup, the ones ladies wore to balls and gentlemen signed up to dance. I have a special Sterling one I wear as a necklace...lots of engraving. I also have lorgnettes that I wear and a silver architects pencil from the 19th C that's unique. I love all that stuff so much. I think I'm an old soul at heart:)

#27 ·
I guess I kind of collect Beanie Babies too. I'm not crazy about it, or have them in plastic cases or anything, but I do have about 21. I also have a bunch of polished stones. Some were professionally polished, and others are naturally that way. River rocks, etc.

#31 ·
This is a fun thread! Thanks Allie, I would never have thought to start it though! I love differences in personalities.

I collect people/relationships---I find/keep them all over the world. I think they are the only thing I have that grows more beautiful with time.

On a more mundane level I have a collection of old teddy bears along w/some collection steiff bears---they are in a box in a closet in the US and I have not seen them for years. I still love knowing they are there!
I hope someday to have a grandchild and I will unpack them. I also collect children's tea sets---like Mary, I do sit-down tea in a lovely cup (antique) w/a silver spoon---it soothes my soul and gives me new perspective. (The children's tea-sets were started w/the idea of a place to connect w/the missing grandchild.) Kitzel isn't really impressed w/them!
I also like old books---they are my enduring passion--classics mostly---others w/nice covers!

I like anything old---especially if someone has loved it well---because it connects me to another person's soul---and speaks into both the past and the future.

#35 ·
This is a fun thread! Thanks Allie, I would never have thought to start it though! I love differences in personalities.

I collect people/relationships---I find/keep them all over the world. I think they are the only thing I have that grows more beautiful with time.

On a more mundane level I have a collection of old teddy bears along w/some collection steiff bears---they are in a box in a closet in the US and I have not seen them for years. I still love knowing they are there!
I hope someday to have a grandchild and I will unpack them. I also collect children's tea sets---like Mary, I do sit-down tea in a lovely cup (antique) w/a silver spoon---it soothes my soul and gives me new perspective. (The children's tea-sets were started w/the idea of a place to connect w/the missing grandchild.) Kitzel isn't really impressed w/them!
I also like old books---they are my enduring passion--classics mostly---others w/nice covers!

I like anything old---especially if someone has loved it well---because it connects me to another person's soul---and speaks into both the past and the future.
Sandi,

Your post sounds so romantic a lovely. . . when having a dinner party, I always look for the most interesting people I know to invite - your name would be on my short list - you are so interesting!

My grandfather had a library full of leather bond books - (he was an English major) I donated many to his school (college) - and others sit on our shelves, I do worry about preserving them.

#37 ·
My house is too small to collect anything! :unsure:

At one time in my life I had collected beautiful (IMO) tea cups for many years, but sold most of them in a yard sale a few years ago. Now I just have maybe a dozen of my very favorite ones. I'm not even a tea drinker :blush:

I do enjoy pretty wine glasses, but I'm kind of out of room for them too :angry:

And somehow through the past several years I either inherited or ended up somehow with some adorable teddy bears. I love the soft cutesy Gund bears and some others are just plain adorable. These aren't something I set out to find...but I have them in my guest bedroom and I think they add charm to it.

#38 ·
I collect dolls. I have a lot of Madame Alexander dolls. I also have some old Gorham dolls, some porcelain dolls, and some composition dolls from the 50's. I say that I have no more room for any more dolls, but then I see another one and ask my family to buy it for me for Christmas or some other occasion.

I also started collecting Christmas ornaments and salt and pepper shakers a few years ago. I decided to buy either a salt and pepper set or a Christmas ornament from everywhere we travel to as a reminder of the fun we had there.

My husband collects sports stuff... like signed baseballs and footballs. He has a life-sized cardboard Cal Ripken standing in our guest bedroom. He put a baseball cap and a jersey on him and it scares me to death every time I walk by. I always think someone is standing in there :smilie_tischkante:...lol.

Thanks for starting this thread, Allie, It's fun to see what everyone collects!

Hugs,
Debbie

#39 ·
I've collected several things but then I would start to collecting something else and the previous collection ends up given away or boxed in the attic (unless it was a treasured gift). I've had boxes of Boyd bears up there for the past few years replaced with just about anything Maltese. My curio is almost full of Malts but I'm always looking for more.

#40 ·
I've collected several things but then I would start to collecting something else and the previous collection ends up given away or boxed in the attic (unless it was a treasured gift). I've had boxes of Boyd bears up there for the past few years replaced with just about anything Maltese. My curio is almost full of Malts but I'm always looking for more.
I don't know if any of this is of interest to you - at the moment this is all they have. I bought a collection of plates all with Maltese on them a few years ago. http://www.danburymint.com/collectibles/cat/Maltese/By-Breed/Dogs_191.aspx

As for collections of things like have been mentioned - nope! I don't collect anything. I never liked dolls, and I don't like chichis - dust catchers.

#44 ·
Heartbreaking....
I'm sick as a dog,pardon the expression,this morning,I didn't get up until 11am, I got up voted my first 4 and laid on the couch for a while. Knew I had to get up and vote so I could vote again tonight yet. Kinda figure,no matter how sick I feel today it's nothing compared to the suffering of fluffs in need.

#47 ·
Feel better soon Michelle!

I collect vintage china teacups and saucers. I love serving tea to my friends in pretty teacups. I have a few sets with horses on them and my hubby enjoys drinking tea in these.

I started collecting white poodle figurines when I had a white poodle so I have lots and lots of them. I have a few maltese figurines but not nearly as many of these as I do poodles.

Joy

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.