Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last Friday I was talking to one of my coworkers. She works in a different department and I had never talked to her before. Some how we got talking about our dogs. I mentioned that I have a 6 month old female Maltese that was going to be getting spayed this Friday. She said to me "Oh I wish you wouldn't. I am looking for a female to breed with my male Bichon." I think my mouth dropped open. I was so shocked. I had a lot of thoughts racing through my head. I was telling myself to not "let her have it" like I wanted to because I was at work. I don't even remember what I said to her. I remember that I said something about not wanting to deal with the mess. I was so shocked. First off it would probably kill Lexi to be breeded with a bichon. She is less that 6 lbs. I think the bichon was over 15 lbs. That is almost 3 times Lexi's size. Second off my coworker obviously had never breed before. Not that I have but she came across as having no clue how dangerous breeding a 6lb female with a 15 lb male. Plus she has never seen my dog. I have never seen her's.

Am I wrong to be kind of angry with her? I guess I am not really angry. I am more just extremely shocked. I have never had a complete stranger (which is basically what she is) ask me to breed my dog (who she has never seen) with her (dog who I have never seen). I was just completely caught off guard.

J

·
0 Posts
I don't blame you for being shocked. That lady sounds like she has no idea what it takes to breed dogs or the complications involved.
Lacey will be fixed in September and I have had coworkers and friends all tell me I am crazy for doing it! They all think I should breed her at least once and sell the puppies to make up for the money I spent on purchasing Lacey. I want to tell these people off, but since I can't I just tell them I don't want to mess with newborn puppies - all the work. Lacey is my baby and I would never do anything to harm her health or life.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Wow, she's seriously uneducated about breeding.. that's too bad. I've gotten a few, "why didn't you breed Tuffy before having him neutered" comments too but I just brush them off and instead of explaining the perils of breeding I just say that I wanted a calmer dog, that seems to pacify them.

·
Registered
994 Posts
The place where i got maxi from asked me if i would want to breed him i said no i am not interested than a friend of my moms daughter in law asked me if i would want to breed and i said no
i had maxi neutered on his 6 month birthday
i didnt get offended at all my answer was no thank you
nothing to get angry about just don't do it

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Originally posted by Nichole@Jul 27 2004, 11:01 AM
I had someone ask me if I would breed Toby before I had him neutered. I was appalled--the thought of it just grossed me out. It would be like he was "used" or something!
LOL.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Used!! That was good.
We have breeding rights to Brinkley. I have looked into it...don't know for sure if I am going to yet. I have done alot of reading up on it, and talking to my breeder. I just want to do it responsibly if I do it. Make sure I know what I am getting into. If I do a litter and don't like it...I will just get them both fixed. Of course we are waiting to do this until we get our own female. I am not "studding" him out...that does not appeal to me at all. If I am going to do it, I am going to have both the parents.

Anyway, I can understand your frustration with the stupid people....some may think I am stupid for wanting to make puppies..LOL...I would just like to function as my breeder does. A litter every so often..reasonably priced puppies, going to good homes...so others can love them as much as me.

We'll see what happens. That is at least one year down the road....

·
Registered
400 Posts
You have all the right in the world to be shocked or angry with her! I'd make sure she knew the dangers that can come with breeding a dog, and about the work, and then tell her she needs her dog fixed!

I really liked that my breeder made me sign a contract that said Casper could never be bred. I was talking to one of my neighbors and Casper was playing in her yard. She asked me if I had his pedigree and stuff and I told her yes. Then she went on to tell me that I should breed him. Well, I wasn't happy either!

·
Registered
346 Posts
Did you also know that if you decided after you bred her with her dog, that you didnt' want to have her fixed, she is no longer good for breeding purposes with a Maltese? When you breed her with another breed, the genetic coding STAYS with her and later, if you wanted to have a litter of puppies by her and you bred her with a maltese, they pups may not all be Maltese...I just found this out when my brother thought his Sheltie got caught by my mother's Shihtzu...glad all of my boys are nuetered or on the way to being all neutered....I DIDN'T DO IT! lmbo

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
tlunn, im glad you're saying that you want to do it responsibly. i went to the vet a few months ago and i saw the tiniest chihuahua and her parents were saying that she was pregnant. and i was like "thats cute, and its awesome because she still looks like a puppy, so im sure people would love her puppies".....you know what they said????!!!

"she still is a puppy, she's six months old. it was an accident that she got pregnant". i was like "oh", gave a disgusted face, and ignored them. imagine how traumatized that little girl was. ugh!! it makes me mad

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Originally posted by doctorcathy@Jul 30 2004, 08:53 AM
tlunn, im glad you're saying that you want to do it responsibly. i went to the vet a few months ago and i saw the tiniest chihuahua and her parents were saying that she was pregnant. and i was like "thats cute, and its awesome because she still looks like a puppy, so im sure people would love her puppies".....you know what they said????!!!

"she still is a puppy, she's six months old. it was an accident that she got pregnant". i was like "oh", gave a disgusted face, and ignored them. imagine how traumatized that little girl was. ugh!! it makes me mad
Ugh! Probably one of those people that thought she was too young to get pregnant...you know like people that get pregant while their first realbaby is 6-8 weeks old!?

I still need to do much reasearch and talking to people to make sure it is something that I really want to do. Right now, I would love to make alot of little Brinkley's to share! LOL! He has the best temperament...seems to be a good physical representation of the breed, smart, etc. But he is just right around 6 months old. So I want to wait until he is more mature etc. to make sure. Then I want to search and find a nice female with the same qualities.

chihuahuas are such tiny dogs anyway...I cannot imagine one getting pregnant at 6 months!! Poor baby!!!

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
if you decide to do it, you should contact Thats my Baby on animal planet---they havent shown a maltese yet.
i really like the episodes where the momdog and dad dog take care of their pups.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Originally posted by Nichole@Jul 27 2004, 11:01 AM
Why would anyone want to breed two different breeds of dogs together? From my understanding isn't this a very irresponsible thing to do?

I had someone ask me if I would breed Toby before I had him neutered. I was appalled--the thought of it just grossed me out. It would be like he was "used" or something!
Nichole,

I can tell you why someone would want to breed a bichon and a maltese in one word MONEY.

I saw in the paper a few weeks ago someone selling "Labradoodles" (lab and poodle mix) for $800.00. He even claimed that they were registered. He registered them with some dog registry and made it sould like they were AKC. There are people out there that do not know that you cannot officially register a mixed breed and who would be crazy enough to pay $800.00 for one?

Kristy

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
I saw something on tv about the labradoodles before I ever saw one in the papers. They bred them together on purpose for a mixture of the good qualities in both the breeds. Not a poodle fan myself, but I LOVE my lab and her temperament. I cannot for the life of me remember what the reason was they did it. It was quite a while back...but I do remember the reasoning sounded good. They all looked a little different. Some had the lab body with curly poodle hair, some had the more poodle like body with the lab hair. Some were really cute, some were butt ugly dogs. Anyway...anything to make a buck, like you said...I am sure some people are eating it up and paying the 800.00 just to get something noone else has and pretend it is something wonderful.

And really, to be honest, alot of dogs probably started way back with some crossbreeding. I saw on Animal Planet the other day some breed....maybe the Jack Russell, I don't remember...(that is my Sat. morning wake-up channel) but anyway, whatever breed it was, had been created WAY back by crossing two breeds for a particular reason. So, someday(hundreds of years from now)...labradoodles may be part of the dogshows...he he. :lol:

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Originally posted by doctorcathy@Jul 30 2004, 09:31 AM
if you decide to do it, you should contact Thats my Baby on animal planet---they havent shown a maltese yet.
i really like the episodes where the momdog and dad dog take care of their pups.
are you saying be on tv...?
that would be SO cool....

by then, someone will have beat me to it...lol
I have watched that show once or twice-but I don't think it was dogs I saw... <_< Maybe chimps or something...seems like maybe an elephant..IF I am even thinking about the same show..

I know what I thought was HILARIOUS yesterday...was the pet psychic show...that was cracking me up! I just wonder how true that stuff really is...
But the people she was talking to seemed to be falling for it...so whatever works.

Brinkley woke me up in the middle of the night a few nights ago...jumping/jerking and whining like in his sleep...like he was dreaming...freaked me out...I asked my hubby..."do dogs dream?"...he said they probably did...and I'm thinking I would sure like to see what goes on in his little head....LOL...sure would like to know what he thinks, and what sticks around in his subconcious long enough to dream about! Funny babies.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I also get a good laugh at the pet psychic. I think she is an animal behavorist. I believe she knows how they naturally react.

Anyhow, if they are talking to her why doesn't she know their names? She always asks the owner what the name of their pet is.

I guess she can't be all bad if she makes people feel better about their pets.

About the labradoodles, I think some people see something on t.v. and just immediately see dollar signs. After all a backyard breeder wouldn't have to have a registered lab or a registered poodle in order to produce labradoodles. I also see a lot of schnoodles, goldendoodles, maltipoos, pekepoos, etc. It's endless in the St. Louis papers, it seems they will breed anything to a poodle and charge more than an AKC pure breed of either dog.

Kristy

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Originally posted by Nichole@Jul 30 2004, 08:03 PM
And about the dreaming thing, I know Toby dreams. He is always in his little bed, barking and wiggling around. I just let him be. I read some where that dogs dream about things unlike what we know, this article said it was about things like shapes and blobs. I don't know if I believe that--how would they know???
Exactly!!! How would they know? Just like, how do the psychics know that the llama quit giving her owner attention b/c she recently took his wading pool away!? So crazy to me. LOL But I watch it...he he.

I would rather believe he was dreaming about protecting me from some mean booger
than some shapes or blobs of nothing <_< ...LOL.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts