Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The groomer that I was using at PetSmart left and she knew how I wanted Puddles cut and that I would be upset if something when wrong. No one will no tell me where she is working, so I'm on my on.

Since I was off work today, I decided that there is not much I can't do and I was going to groom Puddles myself (mess or not). All I had was combs brushes and scissors. Well, he was a perfect angel. He stood on the vanity counter for a long time. And I was shocked at how good it was going, even if it did take me 2 hours (allowing him a 15 min break). Once all finished I hated that I didn't take a before pic. Even Puddles had a smile on his face, suppose he was glad it was all over.

Hubby came in from work and the 1st thing he said, I didn't know Puddles had an appt today. He started checking him out for cuts and gaps and was surprised how good he looked. There were only 2 places that were a little shorter on the back hip, but its a start. (should have seen the bathroom, fuzzy cotton hair every where)

Now we have to purchase clippers and I don't know where to start. Do I order them on line or do you think the ones at PetSmart will do fine. I really don't want to put over $200 on the entire set. I'm not going to trim nails or pluck the ears since I always let the vet take care of that, and don't want to push my luck.

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Great job!!! Puddles looks great!!!

I got a fairly inexpensive Andis set from Target's pet section last year. I know they're not the best, but I'll look for a link. They've done pretty well.

I couldn't find the exact one I got, but I think this is similar clipper set.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I used only scissors. Think I could have done much better with clippers. But it's a start. I started with small amounts and worked my way shorter.

Thanks all

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
everyone at petsmart uses the andis 2 speed clippers. and you did a great job ont he cut

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Why do some clippers not cut maltese hair? The ones I own will not cut my dog's hair. I've always scissored them and would like to use the clippers.

·
Registered
571 Posts
You did a great job
I can trim Tags back like that but I wish I could get the legs to look like what you did. Every time I try they look terrible. I also just use sissors I am afraid of what I could do if I used the clippers

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
I'm not sure if you all have seen this thread. It is from JMM and has photos of the tools she uses for a puppy cut and also includes very detailed instructions... a must to read for do-it-yourselfers....

Puppy Cut Pictorial

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Originally posted by Msloke@Jul 12 2005, 06:42 PM
Wow!  Puddles looks great!!!   

Wish I were brave enough to try it.  I can do a fairly decent cocker cut but I wouldn't know where to start on Cassie.  You might want to check prices at Petsmart, Petco and then see what petedge.com has to compare.  Someone else had mentioned petedge site and I was impressed (they will even mail you a catalog if you want, tons of stuff in there).  I just placed an order with them Monday, so will know in a few days how their order processing goes, online order tracking on their site said was shipped today. 

Again, congrats on the great job!!!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=80705
[/QUOTE]

Puddles looks great, what a cutie
I agree with Msloke about checking out the prices of clippers at www.petedge.com. I buy almost all of my supplies through them at a great deal less than I would have to pay at Petsmart or other local stores. There is a small charge if your order is less than $60.00, but mine is always higher so I don't have to worry about that..hehehe. The shipping charge is reasonable for me it is usually less than $7.00 and if I order before noon I get the stuff the next day around 6pm from UPS. Plus they do not charge tax so that also keeps the cost lower. Compare prices locally and then check out their prices, you should be able to save some $$, for example the pee pee pads I use for Indy are $26.99 at Petsmart for 50 count and Petedge only charges $18.99, so I save $8.00 just on that one item

·
Registered
7,621 Posts
Wow....he looks soooo cute.. You did a really great job!!!

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
you did great! now u will never want to pay someone to do it again!

·
Premium Member
13,652 Posts
Puddles looks great, you did a wonderful job
He looks like he enjoys having his picture taken too, what a little poser

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Puddles Mom,

You did awesome....and this is just your first time....

I feel the same way you do...if someone else can do it then so can I....glad you tried and succeeded.

Susan

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
AWESOME JOBS! Really great because you used scissors! I use the same clippers as JMM. I was lucky (thanks Ladymontava) and got the Andi's 2 clippers for half off ($80) on ebay.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Originally posted by ButterCloudandNoriko@Jul 12 2005, 10:11 PM
AWESOME JOBS!  Really great because you used scissors!  I use the same clippers as JMM.  I was lucky (thanks Ladymontava) and got the Andi's 2 clippers for half off ($80) on ebay.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=80748
[/QUOTE]

I was trying to find the Andis clipper, but there are several 2 speed corded models. Which one of these is the better one, they are all the 2 speed kind:
Andis AG
Andis AG SUPER
Andis AGC
Andis AGC SUPER
Andis UltraEdge

1 - 20 of 33 Posts