Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my guy says no way, he dosent like them. and we cant afford to pay 1,200, plus shipping, plus vet check. and I refuse to buy from a cheap byb or puppy mill. about the most we could spend on buying the dog is 500$. I dont work and my guy works at a gas station, he makes 7.29 ph. I really love maltese but I guess it wasnt ment to be. thank you soooo very very very much everyone for your help.

·
Premium Member
13,652 Posts
Melissajean, I am so sorry that the price range is too high and that your BF doesn't like the breed, but I guess Maltese are not for everyone. I will tell you this though, my hubby wasn't sure of the breed either, he thought our little furkids were prissy dogs designed for women to carry around like little toys. He now knows how wrong he was, he is the one who insists on carrying Scooby when we are out, he is the one who is best mates with our little dynamo kid.
I must tell you we paid $400 for Scooby, yes the breeder was just a local lady who just breeds for the love of her dogs, but she did do it properly, she isn't puppy mill, just a hobby breeder, and all her puppies are registered. I would always avoid a puppy that I had to have shipped from a distance because I would want to see the breeder's facilities to make sure all is up to standard.
Having said all of that, yes Maltese can be expensive to maintain, but we have been very fortunate that Scooby is healthy and strong so our costs are not as high as some who are unfortunate to have health issues with their furkids.
Perhaps later when you are in a better position you may be able to reconsider and you will find the right little puppy for you and your BF

·
Registered
70 Posts
MelissaJean,

I am so sorry that a maltese isn't in the cards for you at this time. However, I honestly believe that if something is meant to be, then it will be. Maybe your boyfriend/husband just needs to be educated as to why it is better to pay a higher price from a reputable breeder than to buy from a back-yard breeder and/ or puppy mill and have a sick puppy with a lot of medical problems. Believe me... been there, done that. I bought my beloved pomeranian from "Pet Land" 16 years ago. I had my baby with me for 15 years and he was sick from day one. He had so many problems throughout his life that there are just too many to list. I was young and didn't know anything about puppy mills at the time. Thank heavens you do know how important it is to buy from a reputable breeder. So anyway... I suggest that you just give your guy some time, try and educate him, and maybe somewhere down the road he will agree to bring a precious furbaby into your lives. I hope that you continue to post here and let us all know you are doing. I'll be praying for you. Good Luck!

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
A Maltese may not be coming in to your life right now but you are very young and have a long life ahead of you.... so it may happen some day at the right time. It sounds like you are a young couple just getting on your feet. It may be best to wait until things are more stable financially, etc. Best wishes to you......

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Awww, I'm sorry this didn't work out for you! But Like everyone else said, maybe in time the right little fuzzy ball will come into your lives! I'm sure it'll happen when the time is right!!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thnks guys. I made a list of pros and cons and didnt tell him what page was what breed. he choose a shih tzu based on the pros and cons. and the least liked was the maltese
(I love this smiley) we dont have a local breeder of maltese. there is a local shih tzu breeder. my mom talked to her once for me (I am a terribly shy person, I shake just talking on the phone to someone I dont know) and she sounded great. but we are not choosing a breed untill after september. we are going to the dog show over labor day weekend. so if I choose a breed now I would just change my mind lol. I do that alot, but I am a woman and therefor have the right to :D I would love to keep comeing here though if its ok with you guys? someday I would like to have a maltese.

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
i'm sorry that it looks like you won't be getting a maltese

however.. do you have your heart set on a puppy? you could adopt a rescue or a retiree for little to no cost.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
i'm really sorry to hear about your situation. These little ones are truly something else in the dog breeds.

On a serious note, besides the initial vet costs, there is the cost for food, for toys, annual shots, and the occasional costs that are associated with owning a dog, or worse, an operation that the dog may need).

So what if your dog needed an operation that will cost over $2000. Do you think your significant other will pay or just euthanize or let the dog go on in pain? If he can't afford the cost of the dog right now then maybe it's just not the right time for you to own a dog until you are more financially stable.

Whatever happens, best of luck to you and yours. Happy fathers day to all we know!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
my guy wants a puppy. I told him sometimes adults are better to get then pups. we are keeping our eyes on petfinder. I go there everyday and look. my guy woulnt let the dog be in pain or just have it put down. I think with something like that our vet will let you make payments, but for like check ups and shots and spaying or nutering it has to be paid in full. when my mom lost her job my sisters dog got an abssest tooth and she had to pay in full even aftr she told him it might take a while. he said as long as she paid in full. didnt make scence to me. I dont see why he woulnt make payments. crazy guy

·
Premium Member
8,543 Posts
After the initial cost, the costs will be the same for ANY breed of dogs. To keep those costs down, you have to restrain yourself in the toy department, cloth department, purse department, bow department... the only thing you cannot control is the vet costs. And those depend on the health of your dog. And any breed of dog can have health problems. My late lhasa had.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
so do I angel. we can afford the vet cost and such (toys, food, leash, harness, ect ect) but we woulnt be able to buy all that and spend 1200$ plus shipping. and we dont have any good maltese breeders near us so we would have to have a puppy shipped (sounds like I am talking about a packge, not a living breathing dog, but I cant think of any other way to put it)

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
If it's any consolation, with your son being so young, you probably would not have been able to purchase a Maltese from a reputable breeder anyway as most won't sell their puppies to homes with small children. And as you have been smart enough to figure out, buying a puppy from an internet website or BYB may have gotten you a puppy, but not necessarily a healthy one.

And big vet expenses are a huge concern for a young family. This breed can rack up some staggering vet bills and it would be horrible to have to choose between taking a dog to the vet or spending necesssary money on your son.

I had to wait until I was an empty nester to get my little Lady. We chose a great kid-friendly dog for our family dog and Petie was the best dog we could have chosen to grow up with our kids. I can really enjoy my little "fru fru" dog now finally!

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Originally posted by melissajean@Jun 18 2005, 11:11 AM
thnks guys. I made a list of pros and cons and didnt tell him what page was what breed. he choose a shih tzu based on the pros and cons. and the least liked was the maltese 
(I love this smiley) we dont have a local breeder of maltese. there is a local shih tzu breeder. my mom talked to her once for me (I am a terribly shy person, I shake just talking on the phone to someone I dont know) and she sounded great. but we are not choosing a breed untill after september. we are going to the dog show over labor day weekend. so if I choose a breed now I would just change my mind lol. I do that alot, but I am a woman and therefor have the right to  :D I would love to keep comeing here though if its ok with you guys? someday I would like to have a maltese.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=73616
[/QUOTE]

I'm sorry for you that he doesn't think he will like a Maltese and I know the cost can be high and not easy to do. After you go to the dog show and if you get to hold one and maybe even he can hold one it may be hard to resist the..... look
My husband and I took Littleman to a local shopping plaza Friday afternoon and it is set up like a village and there is a Starbucks coffee with a fountain and park benches all around it. We sat on a bench and were totally amazed at how many people stopped to see our "littleman". Several people, even guys said they had no idea how adorable and lovable a Maltese was and asked how to locate a good breeder etc. One family, Indy really took to the Mom and two little kids , the kids were around 3 and 5 years old and he was barking at them and the Mom was worried at first and I explained it was his way of saying hi and that he wanted to be petted
They spent about a half an hour just petting him and talking about Maltese. The Mom realized that her children were too young (without me even saying anything) but the Dad said he.... did want a Maltese once the kids were older, he never had a chance to get up close and get to see the personality of a Maltese. Now that he had he was hooked, they stayed close the whole time we were on the bench. My point is he may change his mind and your finances may change down the road, so don't give up hope. Stick around and learn all you can and when and if the time comes that you do get a Maltese you will already know a whole lot

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
yea I am defently sticking around
we are going to a dog show over labor day weekend. I guess its a bigger show. I thought it was a little one, but I did a yahoo search and some guy with the numer 2 toy poodle came one year and everything. all the way from texas. the only dog show I have ben to was at the fair and it was all local people, and it isnt akc. I think there ws only 2 puppies i the puppy match, both of them were collies from the same breeder lol. but were also going there this year to. we are actually thinking about getting a shih tzu. thats the breed my gy picked from the pros and cons list, and I bought a book on them a few days ago, and joined a yahoo group nd a forum. and there is a great local breeder around us. if I can find her number again (I had it and I lost it) I am going to ask and see if we can meet her dogs.
wish me well nd hopeI find it. I am going nuts lol I know I wrote it in my notebook, but cant find that note book, I found 50 zillion others though lol

1 - 15 of 15 Posts