Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My cousin's Havanese Bella, is two weeks older then Tini, and was taken in to get fixed last Friday. She also had an impelical hernia, which was also going to be worked on while she was out. Well Friday night my cousin picked her up and noticed she was a little agitated... she didn't sleep well on Friday night either, but by Saturday morning she seemed to be feeling better.

:excl: gets a little graphic :excl:

Well on the way home from church with her two older kids, he husband called her hystarical. It seems Bella's incision opened and her *GULP* intestines were falling out. They called their vet who was being no help and finally got the number to another emergancy hospital and took her in. They had to go in and do another surgery and make sure everything internally was okay.

I just got off the phone with her and she is on her way to pick her up right now.

What both vets have said is that this is by no means common, but it does happen. The stiches just came loose, with no fault to the dog.

I don't really have a point to this story except to be careful and monitor your dog when they get fixed. If you don't think they are acting right don't hesitate to call!!!!!

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
OMG,I would diffenetly be finding a new vet.
.I cant believe they got no response from him.IM so gald that baby will be ok,but what an awful experence for them

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
:eek: :eek: :eek: . I hope Bella's ok. I can't believe her dr. was being a prick.

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
they always stress to us that this can happen....that make sure out of all the things we do in surgery, that we close the incision properly b/c of this very thing. i hope bella is doing well, and doesnt suffer any more from this horrible occurrance!

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
GRRRR....to the vet!

for Bella...sending her some Brinkley kisses...

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Originally posted by LadyMontava@Dec 13 2004, 05:24 PM
they always stress to us that this can happen....that make sure out of all the things we do in surgery, that we close the incision properly b/c of this very thing.  i hope bella is doing well, and doesnt suffer any more from this horrible occurrance!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=22820
[/QUOTE]

Hey girl...How would you react if you were their vet and this happened to the dog you fixed?

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
I can't believe the vet didn't take personal responsibility and rush her back into surgery. He should have his license revoked.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
ugh, that vet pisses me off. he obviously doesnt take the time or something.

why does this happen ladym?

i hope the havanese is doing better.

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
well most vets close the incision in 3 or 4 layers...this is going to get technical....the closest layer inside is a tough fibrous sheath. this is the holding layer and is the most important to close properly. then you close the subcutaneous tissue, then right under the skin, then you close the skin. so the first layer must not have been done properly.

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
Rarely animals also "reject" the dissolvable suture material and this can happen. If they want reimbursement from the first vet, the second surgeon would have to say that the surgery was done incorrectly. I'd be really peeved with the attitude of the first vet!

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
ladymontava.....i think thats what happened to the girls. i went to a vet...paid extra for laser....and the girls got a hernia because the vet didnt close the first wall or something good. the new vet told me that the old vet did a bad job and he used staples!!!!

and, just for the rest of you to know.....staples are used by shelters. its the CHEAPEST material to use on dogs. my old vet was horrible.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
I would agree that it's the vet's fault! He should have been more careful and provided more insturctions about aftercare and what to look for.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts