Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so yesterday i brushed and brushed dolce before his bath , he still had matts alot , like i said before these matts just keep appearing and getting worse , i worked thru a few and couldnt getthru the other ones , so i gave him a bath n i used the tresemme conditioner which helped a bit... problem was i used scissors to cut the matts out and i think i got scissor happy n tried to trim his paws n his little legs which was where his matts were worse.. n then i tried to even it out a bit n he kept squirming n ummmm i did a horrendous job, and he now has a very poofy body n chicken legs . i mean i cant even post a pic its soo bad.. :smilie_tischkante::brownbag::sorry: i feel so bad for him ... he has no knots now but it looks bad , i mean if i take him to groomers to get it fixed he will have bald legs .. :'( its gonna take really long for it to grow back huh?

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
Don't feel like a bad mama! You're not! Sometimes mats just get the better of you.

What is Dolce's hair like? Is it more cottony or maybe he's just going through his hair change? Are you using a brush or a grooming comb after his bath (when the hair is still wet, before you dry it)?

When we've had mats, I've used a number of different products. I put a little of the product on the mat and then work it out /break it apart very delicately with a wide tooth grooming comb (not too wide though). 2 of the ones I've used and found worked well for us are:
* Maltese Secret detangler. You can buy this online from another maltese forum. Personally I think this has worked very well for us. It comes in a small bottle and I spray it on the mat, wait about 30 seconds and it comes out. some like it, some don't..but it has worked for us. It comes in a very small bottle but you don't need a lot.

*Cowboy Magic Detangler (you can buy this online too or in your local feed/horse supply store..although how many of these you have in the Bronx, I'm not sure of! lol!). This product does have silicone in it...so use it sparingly and probably only for the big bad mats. But it does work extremely well to slick out the knotted areas.

I think the leg hair grows sort of quickly...at least with us it has.
good luck!!

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Don't feel like a bad mama! You're not! Sometimes mats just get the better of you.

What is Dolce's hair like? Is it more cottony or maybe he's just going through his hair change? Are you using a brush or a grooming comb after his bath (when the hair is still wet, before you dry it)?

When we've had mats, I've used a number of different products. I put a little of the product on the mat and then work it out /break it apart very delicately with a wide tooth grooming comb (not too wide though). 2 of the ones I've used and found worked well for us are:
* Maltese Secret detangler. You can buy this online from another maltese forum. Personally I think this has worked very well for us. It comes in a small bottle and I spray it on the mat, wait about 30 seconds and it comes out. some like it, some don't..but it has worked for us. It comes in a very small bottle but you don't need a lot.

*Cowboy Magic Detangler (you can buy this online too or in your local feed/horse supply store..although how many of these you have in the Bronx, I'm not sure of! lol!). This product does have silicone in it...so use it sparingly and probably only for the big bad mats. But it does work extremely well to slick out the knotted areas.

I think the leg hair grows sort of quickly...at least with us it has.
good luck!!
thank u so much for ur kind words, he had silky hair but i think the one thats coming in is the cottony fluffy type. i was using a pin brush not the best quality n a little flea comb , problem is the matts where soo close to his skin.. thats what happened .. but he looks really bad, and choppy. poor baby is still gorgeous but im telling u hes all fluff w these four skinny little legs now .. poor baby !

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
Don't worry it will grow back soon enough!! Besides Dolce is beautiful..hair or no hair!

I have a comb similar to this one (not this brand or anything but just like it's teeth). I think this really works well because you can get into the mat near the skin. Actually I use this more than my CC brush or other combs.

http://www.terrificpets.com/pet_supplies/dog/grooming/combs/14265.asp

PS but on mine..the teeth are all the same length. It's not a special comb or anything..just what they had at the store...but it works well.

·
Registered
552 Posts
I think Dora's leg hair is what grows the fastest. :) If it just looks too bad for you to stand you could take him to a groomer and get his body trimmed so that it's more even. But I'm sure he will be looking better in just a couple days!

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Hair grows back, and I know it looks bad now but it will grow back. Why don't you just take her to the groomer and even her out all over? Or you could do it at home with some clippers. Your pup may even enjoy the shorter "do" for the summer. :)

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
its that some parts of his legs are soo short that if i take him to groomers to fix he will have pink legs. i think im just going to pray his leg hair grows quick , poor baby .

·
Registered
3,790 Posts
Just in time for the summer cut! Hopefully they’ll give you half off since you already took care of the legs and they don’t have to touch them LOL. In all seriousness though, you’re not a bad mommy. I once tried to cut Aolani’s hair (on his head) and ended up making him look like an egg head LOL. He got his first haircut shortly after. Perhaps you should get him groomed and tell them not to cut off any on the legs – put it in writing so they can’t say they weren’t told.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Don't worry you tried your best and that is all that matters. Trust me it will grow back. I don't know if you read the story I posted a while back so here it goes: I took my malt to the groomers and they messed up her paper work and turned her face into a poodle. She was dropped off the same time as a poodle was. Shaved all the hair around her nose. I was devastated . It took 6 -7 weeks before she looked like a malt again.
In your situation the hair will grow back before you know it. Can you post a picture?

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i will post one tonite . lol poor baby must feel like a chicken.

thats crazy about ur pup .. what did they say when u told them they messed up?

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Oh my goodness.... When I was reading this I was just waiting for you to say that you accidentally cut him.. and thank goodness you didn't!! Whew!! Just so you know, there is NO way that short choppy legs can make Dolce any less adorable! :wub:

·
Registered
171 Posts
Me too. I initially thought you accidentally cut him. Hair grows back and I'm sure he's just gorgeous anyway...

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
i will post one tonite . lol poor baby must feel like a chicken.

thats crazy about ur pup .. what did they say when u told them they messed up?
First of all I would never ever take Vanilla again to that groomer as I now have one that I am happy with.
I was at home when they called me and lied about the whole thing.
Groome---: Oh I just want to let you know that Vanilla has matts around her face so we will have to shave it down.
Me---: No she does not have matts around her face ! Do not shave her face just trim it
Groomer: I'm sorry but one of my girls already has done it !
I got in my car and was fuming when I got there. They then told me that they thought she was a toy poodle and they got her mixed up with another dog.
She did not charge me and actually had the nerve to want to schedule the next groom. Now that was funny that she could even think I would ever go back there again. On top of it all my malt was there for several hours without any water and when she got home I am not kidding, she drank the whole water bowl .

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
aww thank u for making me feel better. and thank goodness that i didnt cut him , i would have died . im going to take a picture today but please promise not to give me an award for worst mommy of the month cause thats how i feel. poor bbay looks like a chicken.

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
First of all I would never ever take Vanilla again to that groomer as I now have one that I am happy with.
I was at home when they called me and lied about the whole thing.
Groome---: Oh I just want to let you know that Vanilla has matts around her face so we will have to shave it down.
Me---: No she does not have matts around her face ! Do not shave her face just trim it
Groomer: I'm sorry but one of my girls already has done it !
I got in my car and was fuming when I got there. They then told me that they thought she was a toy poodle and they got her mixed up with another dog.
She did not charge me and actually had the nerve to want to schedule the next groom. Now that was funny that she could even think I would ever go back there again. On top of it all my malt was there for several hours without any water and when she got home I am not kidding, she drank the whole water bowl .

poor baby , the audacity of those ppl . omg !

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
LOL... I think many of us have been there/done that. :p I agree with those that say to take him to a groomer...legs grow out pretty fast - they can even him up. Just let them know not to shave the body down to pink

·
Premium Member
12,783 Posts
BEEN THERE DONE THAT, LOL. There is a reason I have posted any recent pics of my girl I just finished, Lois - I had to do exactly what you did! I didn't put her back in oil after she finished her championship and oh boy, it was mat city, right down to the skin. I thought chicken legs were in this season :p

I would take her to a groomer you can trust and have them even out, i think you'll be happy with the results, that's what I've done. And then it all grows back out nicely! Soo sorry this happened to you - but just know you're not alone!

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
BEEN THERE DONE THAT, LOL. There is a reason I have posted any recent pics of my girl I just finished, Lois - I had to do exactly what you did! I didn't put her back in oil after she finished her championship and oh boy, it was mat city, right down to the skin. I thought chicken legs were in this season :p

I would take her to a groomer you can trust and have them even out, i think you'll be happy with the results, that's what I've done. And then it all grows back out nicely! Soo sorry this happened to you - but just know you're not alone!
oo stacy thank u i felt soo bad ..

·
Registered
847 Posts
Aww don't worry! When I first got Leila I slacked on combing her legs, not realizing how close to the skin you need to get. I ended up having to cut most of the hair off her back legs and although they did look a little chicken-y for a little while, it grew back really fast. Like probably about an inch or so a month.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts