Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Did you try what I recommended before? You need to start small and gradually increase it. Right now she has no idea what that thing is.

Mee, I have a suggestion on how to introduce the tunnel. Start with one tunnel, only have it spread so that it is 2-3 long. Have someone hold the dog on the one side and go to the other and call your dog, when it comes give lots of praise and treats. If the dog is afraid make the tunnel shorted. As your dog get use to it you can increase the length. I would wit on using the connector attached to the tunnel. You can introduce the connect by itself and once the dog is used to it attach it to one tunnel. If the dog is afraid of it I would unconnect it. The import thing is to set your dog up to ALWAYS succeed. If it becomes frightened then make the task easier. If the dog gets "stuck" in the tunnel you need to remain positive. Don't let the dog get scared. Keep calling it and sound happy and positive. If you need any other advice or have questions let me know.[/B]
Try working with her 4 or 5 times a day for only 5 or 10 minutes at a time. She'll get used to it eventually. The important thing is not to scare her.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
i bought a $20 childrens tunnel(it doesnt have lining, its all plastic) and it was soo much fun watching the girls play because they would hide from eachother and chase eachother. they only played with it a few times, but then i moved and now its in storage. i gotta look for it. try throwing toys through the tunnel so she runs through it too. maybe that will help.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Make sure you are ALWAYS at the other end where she can see you. Call her to you but only use the "come" command once. You can say things like "Puppy, puppy, puppy". You need to always sound happy and excited.

Lexi wasn't sure at first about the tunnel. I had to get down on the floor a few times and stitch my head in the tunnel to get her to come. Since it was a class we only got to practise 2-3 times a week over a 6 week period. By the 5th week she didn't need anyone to hold her on the starting end. She knew that if she went through it I was going to be on the other end. Now she does it completely on the her own.

So if you introduce it gradually I bet in a week or so she will love it. After she is use to it you can make a game out of it by tossing the toy into it. Right now though you don't want to force her to use it. She would get scared and then might never want to use it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts