Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tonight I spent a good 40 minutes cutting out knots and matted fur. :wacko: I swear I don't know how they developed because I brush her quite often. Ugh...what a pain. Her hair is about 5 inches long, so thank goodness it will cover her front and back legs, where all of the matted hair was.

Puppy cut? I'm thinking about it.

~Elegant

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
I totally feel ya with the matted hair. My bf doesnt want me to cut Noriko's hair AT ALL because she's a girl and he wants her to have long hair. But who ends up brushing her? So shouldn't the one who brushes her more often have that choice? I get so scared I'm hurting her. ARRRGH

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I used a dematter tool to get the mat out without losing much of the hair and length.

I got it at Petsmart and it worked great! Once you have the mats out, it's really easy to maintain.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
I can't really see the teeth very well on that picture...but if they are sorda curved...I have a "dematter" like that and it works great!
Brinkley's hair is short enough that we don't worry with matts much...I have to pay attention in the "corners" of his legs and behind and under his ears and neck...
I use this for his face on his muzzle hair that gets clumped up from eye treatments. (It seems dry-(the hair)-and sometimes the peroxide and diamond eye and cornstarch all seem to "clump up" or something...hard to explain...I even comb and instant conditioner through it every night....
)
anyway....this dematter helps to unclump his face hair without pulling too much...it will take out some hair sometimes, but not alot.

PS- I have heard conflicting advice....
* some say never brush their hair dry...especially longer hair...and if they have matts that brushing it dry will break the hair....
*others say don't get the matts wet because it will make them tighter and you will never get them out....

Which is true???

Like I said, we have not had enough problem with matts to have tried either way, just wondering.

·
Registered
939 Posts
I always attempt to remove the matts with dry hair; I realty don't know why, I have always just done it that way. If I can't get it out I will add a small amount of conditioner, but not water. I don't have a de-matter, but I use a very small pair of embroidery scissors to cut a few snips into a large mat if I am having difficulty getting the matt out. I have never had to actually cut the whole matt out as snipping at it only cuts a few hairs and seems to help a lot. I use a pin brush on the matts; holding the mat with my fingers so I don't scratch Tikis skin I work the matt from the end toward the skin very gently.

A little hope for those of you with pups less than a year old..... Tikis hair has gotten much less cottony and is so much easier to brush now that he is 2 years old :D

Judi

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
<_< <_< Matts.. Ugh. Tuffy has been matting sooooo bad lately and it's a pain for both of us to get them out. He just looks at me with such an attitude after we get done. I found out (the hard way) that whenever I put him in a sweater or clothes he gets the most horrendous matts, it's insane. It took me FOREVER to remove them all. I have a dematter but I think the teeth are spaced too far apart so it doesn't do the best job, I usually can only use it on nasty huge matts but it does break those up pretty decently. After I get them broken up enough I just use a guy's comb to pull through the smaller matts, not the easiest but it's pretty effective.. but it takes so long. As much as I love his beautiful long hair, he's going to get it chopped off this week and I think we'll both be happier.. and I can put his sweaters on without worrying about how bad his hair will be the next day.
(Oh and I've always brushed his matts out dry and then when I'm ready to brush him all over I just mist him with some spray in conditioner)

·
Registered
493 Posts
Originally posted by Mystify79@Oct 10 2004, 07:45 PM
<_<  <_<  (Oh and I've always brushed his matts out dry and then when I'm ready to brush him all over I just mist him with some spray in conditioner)
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=11663
[/QUOTE]

I've always done the same for Abby - although, we've had limited matts and none bad so far THANK GOD

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
parker went through a bad matting phase....one he turned a year he really hasnt had a prob.....if you want it long, dont give up yet...eventually you will hardly have to brush it.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Originally posted by LadyMontava@Oct 10 2004, 10:09 PM
parker went through a bad matting phase....one he turned a year he really hasnt had a prob.....if you want it long, dont give up yet...eventually you will hardly have to brush it.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=11693
[/QUOTE]

Parker has such gorgeous hair.. Hopefully Tuffy's hair will start getting more manageable

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Originally posted by Mystify79@Oct 10 2004, 07:45 PM
I found out (the hard way) that whenever I put him in a sweater or clothes he gets the most horrendous matts,<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=11663
[/QUOTE]

also, if you pick your babies in your arms a lot, that can also cause hair matting...when i was living with my parents i kept picking my parents' maltese up in my arms and my mom kept telling me not to coz her hair gets matted... :ph34r: especially under their arm and leg pits.. :ph34r:

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Originally posted by mee+Oct 11 2004, 04:16 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Mystify79
@Oct 10 2004, 07:45 PM
I found out (the hard way) that whenever I put him in a sweater or clothes he gets the most horrendous matts,<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=11663
also, if you pick your babies in your arms a lot, that can also cause hair matting...when i was living with my parents i kept picking my parents' maltese up in my arms and my mom kept telling me not to coz her hair gets matted... :ph34r: especially under their arm and leg pits.. :ph34r:
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=11715
[/B][/QUOTE]

A lot of the groomers around here shave the dog's pits (that sounds so weird saying that about a dog :lol: ) And that practically eliminates matting in those areas.. and as long as the dogs other hair is long enough to cover up those areas, you don't even notice..

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
I have GOT to take Tuffy to the groomers.. this morning he spent a good 10 minutes rolling around the floor on his back and now his entire back is just one huge matt. I'm going to need a pro to work these ones out. :wacko:

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
I convinced my bf to let me cut all of Noriko's long 4 inches of hair OFF. But I'm scared. What if she ends up looking UGLY!?!??! HAHAHA

I wish I was registered when someone posted that groomers guide to cutting Maltese hair

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
my sister threw a surprise birthday party for me on saturday and i had been telling everyone that i wanted a shaver. casey bought me the wahl designer shaver. i shaved sprite and ellie on sunday. i have some pics. they have a shnauzer cut. it looks really cute!! i'll post a pic tomorrow.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts