Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reading thru a post and a few people said that reputable breeders and rescues wont let maltese go to a home with small children. I have a small child. so far he has been ok around critters. and I am trying to get him around the rats and cats more. but how can I get a maltese (or any small breed) from a good breeder or rescue if they dont alowe them to go to homes with small children?

·
Premium Member
8,543 Posts
Some of them are very peculiar. This is also a big controversy. Some people are ok with it and others are not. Personally I think all depends on the child and the parent. Rescue people don't want to take on the responsability to give out a dog to a family with small children because they don't know the history of the dog. They are afraid that in case the dog bites the child they will be sued. I can understand that. Breeders I can understand less.

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
You have to develop a relationship with the breeder and ask them to consider getting to know you and your family before deciding against it. Small children and tiny toy dogs are a huge risk. You have to be committed to keeping them separate or actively supervised at all times. It is a huge job when an error means a dead puppy instead of just a mess from one or both. I would recommend a slightly larger breed, such as a Bichon, Lowchen, or Havanese if you have small children.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
I guess since breeders cannot always know each potential owner's situation it is easier to just have a general "rule" not to sell to famlies with young children. It is just too easy for an accident to happen....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts