Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had a mild sore throat for the past week, but I have been taking three Advil every 12 hours or so and it has really helped. However, this morning I woke up with an awful earache--I'm sure the two are related (I thought I had outgrown earaches
). Anyway, since it is Wednesday, my doctor isn't in the office. Does anyone know of anything I can do for a temporary fix until I can get in to see him?

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Originally posted by Nichole@Oct 5 2005, 03:26 PM
I have had a mild sore throat for the past week, but I have been taking three Advil every 12 hours or so and it has really helped.  However, this morning I woke up with an awful earache--I'm sure the two are related (I thought I had outgrown earaches
).  Anyway, since it is Wednesday, my doctor isn't in the office.  Does anyone know of anything I can do for a temporary fix until I can get in to see him?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=106631
[/QUOTE]

If it is really huting that much then go to the walk in clinic so they can get a prescription you could have an infection and you should not delay treatment. then you can still see your doctor for a follow up. I don't know what else you could do when that happens to me I run to the doctor anyone if it very painful

·
Premium Member
949 Posts
Originally posted by Nichole@Oct 5 2005, 02:26 PM
I have had a mild sore throat for the past week, but I have been taking three Advil every 12 hours or so and it has really helped.  However, this morning I woke up with an awful earache--I'm sure the two are related (I thought I had outgrown earaches
).  Anyway, since it is Wednesday, my doctor isn't in the office.  Does anyone know of anything I can do for a temporary fix until I can get in to see him?
[/QUOTE]
Back in the day we used sweet oil and put a cotton ball in the ear to keep draft out. Just the cotton alone makes a difference. I have read that hitting it with the warm air of a blow dryer helps too, but I have never tried that. You can buy sweet oli at the drug store.

·
Premium Member
949 Posts
Originally posted by Chelsey+Oct 5 2005, 02:40 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Nichole
@Oct 5 2005, 03:26 PM
If it is really huting that much then go to the walk in clinic so they can get a prescription you could have an infection and you should not delay treatment. then you can still see your doctor for a follow up. I don't know what else you could do when that happens to me I run to the doctor anyone if it very painful
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=106639
[/B][/QUOTE]
I forgot to add
I hope you feel better soon.

·
Registered
4,856 Posts
Laying on a heating pad may help.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
yes your right i totaly for got you can put some cotton in your ears.. but do not push it far in. but that just keeps the draft out. I also hope you feel better soon. Again if it is really hurting. like a pain every so offten kind of shocking. Then please go to the walk in clinic.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Its probably the beginning of an ear infection and you probably need antibiotics. I am just curious -- did you have ear infections as a child? Well, either way, I guess you could do advil or tylenol for pain until you see your doctor. There is a cream that can be used but I think its only for otitis externa (sort of outer ear infection) and I think its by prescription only? Actually the mommys on this forum can probably give you better advice than a med student since they have seen their children go though ear infections

·
Registered
181 Posts
I suffer from earaches all the time because I have a hole in my eardrum.

The best thing to do until you can see a doctor is to continue taking the Advil, and use a warm compress on your ear. I would reccomend a hot water bottle or a wet wash cloth heated in the microwave for 20-30 seconds. Be careful, because this latter method can get very hot!

When you do get in to see the doctor ask him for ear drops in combination with any oral antibiotics you may be given. I really like Cipro HC drops because it has an antibiotic plus a cordisone to reduce swelling right away.

If you simply use oral antibiotics they do work, but I feel like it takes much longer to get back to normal.

Feel better soon!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Originally posted by Msloke@Oct 5 2005, 03:44 PM
I read somewhere about using a hair dryer on low, warm setting helps with earaches.  Hope you feel better.

Just did a quick websearch.......

Earaches can be caused by mild infection or a change in altitude. Here are some ways to relieve the pain associated with this problem.

Sooth the ear with the warm, not the hot setting, of a hairdryer. Now be careful and make sure it is on the warm setting.

If you puncture a piece of garlic and pour the juice in the ear it will help to take the pain away. Garlic has a natural antibiotic, so use it, and see if it helps.

If the ache is from altitude change, just chew gum or yawn to relieve the pain.

If you get it from swimming, usually called, swimmer's ear, just put some mineral oil in before going in the water. This should help the condition.

If the pain is bad and doesn't go away quickly, make sure you go to the doctor, he can give you an antibiotic to cure this problem.

I don't think I'd try the garlic thing, when you do go to the doctor, he may think you're a little 
  Also, it could be connected to the sore throat thing, maybe beginning of a sinus infection.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=106646
[/QUOTE]

On the garlic thing, Actually, I don't think the doctor would think anything of using garlic oil. My daughter had chronic ear infections until she was 3. My pediatrician was the one that recommended I start using Garlic Oil. He did tell me to go buy it from a Whole Foods store though. He told me to warm the bottle in a glass of warm water. Have my daughter lay on her side with the aching ear up and then place a few drops in the ear. And to gently massage the area around the ear to ensure even distribution. He said to let her stay laying down for 5 minutes or so to keep the oil from running right back out. Then place a cotton ball in the ear. It worked every time.

The only draw back was she smelled like a pizza oven for a few days. But that beats her screaming in pain anyday.

·
Registered
5,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I took 3 Advil and it helped a lot. I hate going to the doctor, but I don't think this is something that can be ignored.

We are the kind of people who wouldn't even go to the doctor if our arm fell off! When anyone in our family gets sick, the joke is to tell them "Walk it off!"

Originally posted by okw@Oct 5 2005, 02:51 PM
am just curious -- did you have ear infections as a child?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=106652
[/QUOTE]
I think maybe I had three or four my entire life. Is that a lot?

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
My son is the ear infection king....serisouly he is 6 and we have had two sets of tubes. But I am lucky and have an awesome doctor.

He has some drops that we keep handy that are numbing drops so I use them until he gets into the doctor.

My husband had an ear infection two weeks ago. His best friend is a doctor and so he cam by after work and saw him. Anway I ended up having to use the kids numbing drops on him he was being such a baby.

Ok so I guess this didn't help but I will say the hairdryer trick does work for a while. try it.

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
My youngest suffers from chronic ear infections and fluid on her ears. She has had the tubes inserted twice and has been on all sorts of antibiotics. According to our ENT, the latest thinking is that antibiotics are not effective in curing ear infections. He recommends warm compresses and motrin. You should see a doctor to make sure it isn't a fungal infection (swimmer's ear).

·
Premium Member
13,652 Posts
I sure hope you are feeling better, all the above is good advice, but you should go see the doctor and get it cleared up once and for all. There are two things I hate and one is an ear ache and the other is a tooth ache, both are nasty.
Take care and I hope it stops soon...

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Nichole - 4 ear infections is not a lot at all. I was just curious since adult ear infections are a lot less common than children's.

saltymalty- ear infections and treatments have always been controvercial (as are placement of tubes). I think recently there have been some guidelines regarding treatment of acute ear infections (vs chronic ones) which depend on age of child and how ill they look and the chart sort of divides them into groups based on age. I think pediatricians (regardless of new evidence) will still tend to prescribe antibiotics because really that's what makes parents happy and its what they expect. ENT are more of surgeons and will probably take different approach since most of their income tends to come from surgeries. That's not at all to say that they are wrong and if I had a child with chronic infections I would definitely have him/her evaluated by an ENT. Its been a year since my pediatrics rotation and since I am not going into that field, I have proceeded to forget lots of what I learned.

·
Registered
5,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Originally posted by okw@Oct 5 2005, 11:26 PM
Nichole - 4 ear infections is not a lot at all.  I was just curious since adult ear infections are a lot less common than children's.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=106888
[/QUOTE]
I had a pretty bad ear infection about 10 years ago (I was in my late teens) and my doctor looked at me like I was nuts. He basically told me I was too old to have them.
I didn't know that was even possible.

·
Premium Member
13,652 Posts
Just wondering Nicole how your ear is feeling today, I sure hope it is all better now, or at least less painful for you

·
Registered
5,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Originally posted by Scoobydoo@Oct 6 2005, 11:09 AM
Just wondering Nicole how your ear is feeling today, I sure hope it is all better now, or at least less painful for you

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=107072
[/QUOTE]
Thanks for asking! I woke up this morning and it feels so much better! I decided not to go to the doctor just yet. I am going to wait and see if it keeps getting better.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts