Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have to go to New Jersy and stay with family there, when i mentioned bringing Sunny they would have nothing to do with it
So I have to have hiim boarded for about a week I am really worried. He is only going to be a week or 2 over 6 months when he is there and that is still so young, there was a really nice place here I wanted to send him but they have been booked christmas week since march so I have to take him to my second choose, his hair has gotten pretty long will they brush him? he is getting a hair cut soon should I get it cut short before sending him? The place i am sending him is still nice but he is so little (even if he is like the worlds largest maltese lol
) I live in an area that everone lives on over an acre and most people here have big dogs, this place I am sending him is the one people around here used so I am wondering if there will be any other dogs his size. I am gonna make a appointemnt for next year at the place I wanted to send him just in case (its like almost all toy dogs there so i would have felt a little better) Have any of ya'll boared your dogs? When they were this young? Am I overreacting?

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
This is a good question! I have 2 babies. Noriko is about 4 lbs and alot easier to take care of because she is well behaved and little. Buttercloud, however, is 11 lbs and a little on the opposite side. He needs more attention than Noriko and his barking can get annoying. I am so afraid to leave them at a boarding place because HELLO! I spoil my maltese and I dont think anyone will give my babies the right attention. teehee. My vet boards cats and dogs but they only take them out like 2 times a day. I take my dogs out 5-7 times a day. Can annoying ease my mind about a boarding place too?

Tlunn--will you babysit for me if I need ya? lol

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sunny is so spoiled its not even funny the vet was like yelling at me about it but I mean I only give him his dry dog food and I never let him beg or jump on me so its not like he is a brat (well he is but not a a bad way) I know they wouldnt come close to treating him how I do at home but I just want to see when I get him back he still has the same personallity .......and isnt covered in mats

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I dont really live in a university area so that proubly wouldnt work but thanks for the suggestion. I have some friends around here...who wont watch him...I am thinking about asking if they could like visit him while he is at the kennel and making sure everything is going good at the very least it will proubly get the people working there thinking "oh someone comes and checks on that one make sure he is doing alright"

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
I used to have to board a cocker spaniel. It isn't a great choice, but if that is the only avenue then your puppy will be ok. They don't put the dogs together, each has its own run. I used to have to pay extra for walks. I would doubt that they will brush your baby unless you pay extra for that. Be warned - they stink when you get them back. I had them groom the cocker before we picked her up. You might expect a regression on potty training when you first return home.

A couple of other thoughts for you: what about a pet sitting service? The ones in my area charge approx. $12 per visit and stay about 1/2 hour. If they came 3 times a day how would that compare to the price of the kennel? That would only work it your puppy is gated, rather than crated, and uses the pee pads.

For next year I would suggest that you find a friend with a small dog and start socializing the dogs and then trade off - you take the friend's dog for a week when they have to be gone, and they take your dog at Christmas. Also, if you have a single friend or even older high school student maybe you could work something out with them. In fact, maybe you and someone else on this board who lives in South Florida could get together and start trading.

We are taking our whole family, including grandparents, on a trip to Vegas the weekend before Christmas. Our usual sitters (the daughters and grandparents) will be with us so my younger daughter's roommate at college will come and stay at my house and care for the two dogs. I am paying $75 a day for this, but truthfully would pay more if necessary.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Originally posted by ButterCloudandNoriko@Nov 15 2004, 09:05 PM
This is a good question!  I have 2 babies.  Noriko is about 4 lbs and alot easier to take care of because she is well behaved and little.  Buttercloud, however, is 11 lbs and a little on the opposite side.  He needs more attention than Noriko and his barking can get annoying.  I am so afraid to leave them at a boarding place because HELLO! I spoil my maltese and I dont think anyone will give my babies the right attention.  teehee.  My vet boards cats and dogs but they only take them out like 2 times a day.  I take my dogs out 5-7 times a day.  Can annoying ease my mind about a boarding place too? 

Tlunn--will you babysit for me if I need ya? lol
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=16524
[/QUOTE]

Of course I would!!!
That would be SO much fun!!! (if I could remember to take them out to potty!!!)

A couple of other thoughts for you: what about a pet sitting service? The ones in my area charge approx. $12 per visit and stay about 1/2 hour. If they came 3 times a day how would that compare to the price of the kennel? That would only work it your puppy is gated, rather than crated, and uses the pee pads.

We are taking our whole family, including grandparents, on a trip to Vegas the weekend before Christmas. Our usual sitters (the daughters and grandparents) will be with us so my younger daughter's roommate at college will come and stay at my house and care for the two dogs. I am paying $75 a day for this, but truthfully would pay more if necessary.[/B]
Just wondering how much boarding is? I think when we had to keep our bassett at the vet b/c we were on vacation and he had some small tumor things removed while we were gone....he was there a week....I think it was like 7.00 a day or something for him. I know it wasn't too much or I would have flipped out with the procedure and boarding cost.

I pay a highschool girl to come and take care of the three cats when I am gone to visit family or on vacation...and another neighbor boy that takes care of the lab and bassett in the kennel outside. I pay both of them 25-30 dollars for the whole time we are gone. I know neither of them stay long enough to play or give much attention. Lauren scoops the litter boxes and gives them food-I also ask her to look around and make sure they haven't had hairballs etc. Kenny feeds the dogs outside and lets them run a minute while he cleans the kennel out. Neither of them complain about the money and are willing to do it again when I ask-so I don't guess I am being too cheap
I would pay more if I thought they would do more. But, I know they are only doing the minimum they have to. The animals always seem fine when we come back-so..so far so good!

As I have said before, this time with Brinkley has been quite stressful. We are taking him with us...and paying for a hotel to stay in. That is killing our budget and will probably end up being part of my Christmas. But, I wouldn't have it any other way. Leaving the cats for a few days is nothing like leaving him. The cats will probably appreciate the vacation from him actually!

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
I have to board Lady at my vet's since she is diabetic and needs insulin shots. I have only done it twice in the past 5 years and I am a wreck about it, but she does just fine. My vet keeps her separate from the other dogs, in the treatment room, which is quiet and calm.

My vet charges $17 a day, plus a $2 medication charge. That's pretty much the going rate here in Raleigh for a small dog. In fact, some places charge even more and extra for a walk! Lady gets leash walked for no extra charge.

The best thing to do is visit the places you are considering before you board. Make sure they let you go back and look at where your dog will be kept.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
I haven't had to leave Lexi anywhere yet but if I did have to leave her I have a bunch of friends that said they would watch her. Could any of your neighbors watch her? I live in a building that has a lot of dogs. Three of the dog owner's have told me that they would help out if I needed someone to watch Lexi. One of my friend's (who considers herself Lexi's aunt) has started begging me to leave Lexi with her.

We have boarded my parent's dog, Oreo, but she was very depressed so we don't board her anymore. We pay one of the neighbor kids to let her out and make sure she has food and water. The love doing it. They actually fight over who gets to do it. They have also started asking me to let them watch Lexi. I haven't yet but next summer I will have to have one of them watch her the weekend of my brother's wedding.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
there are only 2 kennels here in santa clarita valley. the first once (k-9 country club) is only outdoor and its like $5/day. the other one is Adler stein kennels and its $10/day for the outdoor and for the indoor/outdoor one it's $15/day.

TOTAL RIP-OFF

i hated it!!! they dont take the dogs out to go potty. they dont play with the dogs. they just feed them and give them water. and i was there for over an hour talking to her and this one dog had poo in his cage and she didnt clean it up the whole time!!! the dog was crying.

i totally discourage anyone that wants to leave their dog in a kennel.

PLEASE find a friend or something to take care of your baby.

·
Registered
994 Posts
well personally if i was told i couldnt bring maxi i would say to whomever
SEE YA , i have made it known that maxi is family to family and friends to friends he will go every where with me and whomever doesnt allow maxi in there home will never see me
but in any event thats me, what i would do if i were you is fly him up with you and board him locally so you can see him every day if boarding is your only answer
good luck

·
Registered
994 Posts
Originally posted by Lilly521@Nov 15 2004, 08:55 PM
I have to go to New Jersy and stay with family there, when i mentioned bringing Sunny they would have nothing to do with it 
  So I have to have hiim boarded for about a week I am really worried.  He is only going to be a week or 2 over 6 months when he is there and that is still so young, there was a really nice place here I wanted to send him but they have been booked christmas week since march so I have to take him to my second choose, his hair has gotten pretty long will they brush him? he is getting a hair cut soon should I get it cut short before sending him? The place i am sending him is still nice but he is so little (even if he is like the worlds largest maltese lol 
) I live in an area that everone lives on over an acre and most people here have big dogs, this place I am sending him is the one people around here used so I am wondering if there will be any other dogs his size.  I am gonna make a appointemnt for next year at the place I wanted to send him just in case (its like almost all toy dogs there so i would have felt a little better) Have any of ya'll boared your dogs? When they were this young? Am I overreacting?

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=16522
[/QUOTE]

hey Lilly where in new jersey are you going to be
if you are not far from where i am i would have no problem letting sunny stay at my house for the week for free and this way he wouldnt be traumatized
you may be too far if not the invitation is open

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Lily, I agree with MomtwoMaltMuffins.......love me, love my dog. And, really, what would they do if you showed up all the way from Florida with this adorable fluff-butt?

Another option: I will be in Boca Raton over Christmas. I know that's a bit of a drive for you but they are maybe a mile off 95 on Palmetto Parkway. Not sure exact dates yet. I am not bringing Pico this trip because the stupid airlines charge $160 roundtrip plus it costs me $44 for the health certificate. And I get NOTHING for this. His carrier counts as a carry-on. So, what's the difference? $200 bucks, that's what. Sorry. I get so po'd about this.

Anyway, I'm staying with my daughter and her husband, 5 year old grandson and 13 going on 21 granddaughter and their cat. The cat stays out of sight when Pico is around so that should not be an issue with Sunny. They were the original owners of Pico but found that managing two jobs, a diabetic son and a teenager left too little time for Pico. When I am there with Pico, he sleeps with me. At home, he sleeps in his crate.

If you are interested in letting me have the honor and pleasure of Sunny's company, let me know and I will run it by my daughter, since it is her house.

Originally posted by Lilly521@Nov 15 2004, 08:55 PM
  So I have to have hiim boarded for about a week I am really worried.  He is only going to be a week or 2 over 6 months when he is there and that is still so young, there was a really nice place here I wanted to send him but they have been booked christmas week since march so I have to take him to my second choose, his hair has gotten pretty long will they brush him? he is getting a hair cut soon should I get it cut short before sending him? The place i am sending him is still nice but he is so little (even if he is like the worlds largest maltese lol 
) I live in an area that everone lives on over an acre and most people here have big dogs, this place I am sending him is the one people around here used so I am wondering if there will be any other dogs his size.  I am gonna make a appointemnt for next year at the place I wanted to send him just in case (its like almost all toy dogs there so i would have felt a little better) Have any of ya'll boared your dogs? When they were this young? Am I overreacting?

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=16522
[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Maxi's mom--that's so kind of you to offer to help.
Tlunn--I am going to hold you to it! LOL You should get me a map, btw! I don't know where you are!

I just think some people don't realize how human/babyish these pups can be. I said this before, but my mom was the type that would be totally disgusted with dogs but when she saw my babies and my sister's baby, she fell in love and she loves to cuddle with them. Before I had my babies, I thought of dogs as dirty animals too.

I'm afraid to bring Cloud to anyone's house but my parents'. He tinkles when he's excited. My parent's house has no carpet so it's easy to clean up.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The kennle is $15 a day. Any other family or friends i would just bring sunny and they could get over it but not them, if he was a catthey proubly would have let mee bring him but noooo not a dog lol. Well as far as finding someone around here to watch him i just moved here a few months ago so i only know a few people and they all have large dogs who dont really get along with other dogs (one of them actully eats, as in kills and eats, cats so yeah no way that is happening
) I have some out of town friend i might try and get to watch him becuase she has been saying she wants to get a maltese since she saw mine so i might be able to convince her its like a test run lol. Thats really sweet of you guys who offered to watch him but i have never left him alone for long with other dogs and he is a good 9lbs which is proubly bigger than your dog and i would just feel awful if he tried something, never has before and i have no readon to think he would be he is still so young i dont trust him with a lot of things.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Originally posted by Lilly521@Nov 16 2004, 02:00 PM
The kennle is $15 a day.  Any other family or friends i would just bring sunny and they could get over it but not them, if he was a catthey proubly would have let mee bring him but noooo not a dog lol.  Well as far as finding someone around here to watch him i just moved here a few months ago so i only know a few people and they all have large dogs who dont really get along with other dogs (one of them actully eats, as in kills and eats, cats so yeah no way that is happening
)  I have some out of town friend i might try and get to watch him becuase she has been saying she wants to get a maltese since she saw mine so i might be able to convince her its like a test run lol.  Thats really sweet of you guys who offered to watch him but i have never left him alone for long with other dogs and he is a good 9lbs which is proubly bigger than your dog and i would just feel awful if he tried something, never has before and i have no readon to think he would be he is still so young i dont trust him with a lot of things.

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=16670
[/QUOTE]

Maxi is 9.3lbs so weight isnt an issue , well atleast you have some options
This breed is different we baby them so much it is just way to tranmatic to leave them in a kennel , i have been invited to my friends in las vegas and she automatically said maxi too and my friend in florida invited me to come there along with Maxi so thank god i have options , the only person i would leave maxi with is my mom or mybest friend because she has the toy poodle which is maxis best friend and i think although he would miss me he would be ok with her
listen i have my holiday party on the 16th of dec i already have it worked out where my friend will go get maxi and ill pick him up when i get home
i just have him use to a routine and he gets upset if he doesnt see me

·
Registered
994 Posts
You know its not such a bad thing to post when we are going away and what area we are in if everyone is willing to help eachother
who better than a real caring maltese owner
so ill say now if anyone comes to the new york city area and needs help email me
unless i have other plans i would be more than happy to help

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Originally posted by ButterCloudandNoriko@Nov 16 2004, 01:56 PM
Maxi's mom--that's so kind of you to offer to help. 
Tlunn--I am going to hold you to it! LOL  You should get me a map, btw!  I don't know where you are! 

I just think some people don't realize how human/babyish these pups can be.  I said this before, but my mom was the type that would be totally disgusted with dogs but when she saw my babies and my sister's baby, she fell in love and she loves to cuddle with them.  Before I had my babies, I thought of dogs as dirty animals too. 

I'm afraid to bring Cloud to anyone's house but my parents'.  He tinkles when he's excited.  My parent's house has no carpet so it's easy to clean up.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=16668
[/QUOTE]

from nashville..going down I40 to memphis...exit 108 (parker's crossroads)...I am about 30-45 minutes from there...

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Tlunn--so whatcha doing this Christmas
. HAHAHAHHAHA

My babies wont miss me
. When I went to VA they didn't miss me. And when my cousin asked to take Noriko home with her for one night, she said Noriko had OODLES of fun. Tlunn--I bet my babies would LOVE your place! You have a huge family and lots of other animals. It would be a funny experience.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts