Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

I have to give a presention on the Maltese Breed

1K views 20 replies 10 participants last post by  020202 
#1 ·
On March 22 I have to give a 3 minute "presentation" on the Maltese breed. They are having us do this so that we can be educated on other breeds. I need to talk about the history of the breed, what it was orginally intended for, common medical problems, and if there is a famous dog or famous person that owns a maltese.

I would appreciate any help I can get. I'm going to do some searchs on the internet and see what I can find.

#3 ·
I know that Elizabeth Taylor owned a maltese and I saw I picture of Heather Locklear with a maltese puppy the other day. When I was reading about puppies I went to Barnes and Nobles bookstore and read lots of books while I drank hot chocolate. Lots of the books I didn't buy, a few I did, but it was nice to read and see if I liked the books. Just a thought. I also found lots and lots of info on the internet. I have read several places that know one knows were maltese were from. The Eyptians had them.

#5 ·
I have 3 maltese books and I can help you out if you want.
Just give me time to look up the stuff you need!

Famous owners of maltese: Elizabeth Taylor, Liberace, Billy Rae Cyrus, Tara Lipinski, Mia Farrow. From "An Owner's Guide To A Happy Healthy Pet: The Maltese" by Bobbie Linden

#7 ·
Like everyone else, I'd be happy to look up any info you need
Sounds like a great training class, helping you all to learn about the breeds. How old is Lexi?

As for famous people with maltese.. Elizabeth Taylor, Britney Spears, Heather Locklear, and Jessica Simpson's mom all own a maltese.. Jessica Simpson has a maltese mix.

Let me know if you need anything

#11 ·
Originally posted by Nichole+Mar 9 2005, 10:58 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-littlepeanut
@Mar 9 2005, 09:24 AM
Inherited Disorders:  Portosystematic Shunt, Luxatted Patella, Collapsing Trachea, White Dog Shaker Syndrome. 
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=41350
Those were some of the health problems I was going to mention, but little peanut beat me to it!

Also you could include something about their size and people wanting the "teacup" dog and how they are "fashionable" right now.

I don't know what the limitations to your presentation are (and where others in your class purchased their pups, this could be stpping on some people's toes), but you could bring up the topic of puppy mills and JS.

Also, don't smaller dogs have a tendency to retain their baby teeth and that causes problems.

You could also talk about the grooming aspect of the Maltese and how it is a little more work than the average dog.

You could mention that they were bred to be companions, therefore they have many "humanlike" qualities such as wanting to be with their owner 24/7.

Don't mind me, I am just brainstorming.
I'll keep thinking for you!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=41376
[/B][/QUOTE]

Thanks for the good ideas. They only want us to talk for 3 minutes so I won't have time to cover everything but I should have time to talk a little about the "teacup" thing.

#16 ·
The presentation is for her training class!

There are 5 dogs in the class, I think there are supposed to be 2 more but they weren't there last night. The trainers are going to divid us up 2 presentation a class. Each presentation is supposed to be 3 minutes long.

#21 ·
It would take me three whole minutes to say "small dog, big attitude" They're fiesty, fun loving and loyal. They are a huge dog in a small dog body. They think they are junk yard dogs instead of pampered pooches fit for royalty. I'm sure you'll enjoy your presentation.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.