Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love the fact that Tini is litter box trained, but she has NO bladder control, because she can go whenever she wants.
For the first month I had her she slept in her crate at night from 10:30 till about 3 then she would cry so she could potty... then (I know this is probably where I went wrong) I would let her sleep with me the rest of the night. Well... it turned into her sleeping with me full time. The past few weeks though have gotten out of control. She is getting up and crying at least 3 times, and she is UP at 5:00am.

I'm thinking tonight she is going to go back in her crate. I love having her sleep in bed with me, but I feel like I can't concentrate at work because I am so tired.

Any advice as to what I should do?

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by nataliecmu@Dec 20 2004, 10:09 AM
I love the fact that Tini is litter box trained, but she has NO bladder control, because she can go whenever she wants. 
For the first month I had her she slept in her crate at night from 10:30 till about 3 then she would cry so she could potty... then (I know this is probably where I went wrong) I would let her sleep with me the rest of the night. Well... it turned into her sleeping with me full time. The past few weeks though have gotten out of control. She is getting up and crying at least 3 times, and she is UP at 5:00am.

I'm thinking tonight she is going to go back in her crate. I love having her sleep in bed with me, but I feel like I can't concentrate at work because I am so tired.

Any advice as to what I should do?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=24392
[/QUOTE]

Well, I can't offer advice on this but if "misery loves company" I thought I'd share! Catcher used to sleep in a crate and like you, when he and I went to potty at about 5:00 in the morning I brought him in to bed with me.... well the next night when I told him it was time to get in HIS bed, he went over to my bed and looked up at it as if to say, "OK mom, I'm ready for you to lift me up in to your bed." So I put him in his crate and he screamed and cried and so now he is sleeping full time in my bed!
(The good thing is that he sleeps very soundly all through the night).

I hope someone will have a good solution to your dilemma!

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Brinkley sleeps with us...we put a stool next to the bed so that he can get up and down on his own. When it is time for bed, I scoot one of the litterboxes with the pad in it into the hallway that is gated for the night. He knows that box/pad is there if he needs it during the night. He doesn't usually go in the night, but he does get up before us sometimes, especially on the weekend...he uses it, and then comes back to bed.
Just a suggestion that works for us.
Good luck!

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
yeah, all three of the dogs sleep in the beds withus. lol.
i cant help it. they're snuggly and cute.

my solution...is like tlun. make steps so that your baby can go down on the ground from your bed and she's able to go potty whenever she wants.

AND

make sure she's tired when you go to bed. take her out on a long walk, or do a doggy playdate with a neighbor a couple hours before bedtime. she'll hopefully be exhausted that she'll sleep throughout the whole night.

·
Registered
132 Posts
ok, i've had my little dixie now for 6 weeks. she is in her crate downstairs at night. we started this as soon as she came home. she cryed all night for the first 3 nights and then intermittently for another week through the night. it was so hard and i was so tired. i didn't get up in the night because i did it the first night and she would'nt settle after.

we kept the doors shut and just hoped that we were doing the right thing.

she is now in her crate from half 12 to half 7/8 and never wee's or poo's on her puppy pad in corner of crate. she doesn't cry at all now either.

although i would of loved to have her in my bed from the start, i just didn't want to be worrying about her going wee wee in it or falling off and getting hurt etc. she will be in the crate until she is fully trained.

there were times in the beginning when i doubted my decision but i stuck with it and now it's such a relief to rest at night knowing she is 100% safe. also she will stay anywhere when we go to friends in her crate.

this way really worked for me. she is a happy loveable playful pup and i'm getting enough sleep!

hope this helps, let us know what happens
bec & dixie

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by beccypaul@Dec 20 2004, 12:10 PM
ok, i've had my little dixie now for 6 weeks.  she is in her crate downstairs at night.  we started this as soon as she came home.  she cryed all night for the first !

bec & dixie 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=24439
[/QUOTE]

Hi beccypaul, have you considered moving her crate to your bedroom? Everything I've read suggests that dogs should sleep in the room with their "Pack'. From a non-professional point of view, it just is really nice for the "family" to all be sleeping in the same room.... very bonding and just so nurturing ....

·
Registered
323 Posts
Since this is new behavior for her and it seems to be increasing in her need to go, have you considered a bladder infection? I know as mine got a little older they went the other direction and woke me up less. So may be something to think about....hmmm

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally posted by Kallie/Catcher's Mom+Dec 20 2004, 12:53 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-beccypaul
@Dec 20 2004, 12:10 PM
ok, i've had my little dixie now for 6 weeks.  she is in her crate downstairs at night.  we started this as soon as she came home.  she cryed all night for the first !

bec & dixie 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=24439

Hi beccypaul, have you considered moving her crate to your bedroom? Everything I've read suggests that dogs should sleep in the room with their "Pack'. From a non-professional point of view, it just is really nice for the "family" to all be sleeping in the same room.... very bonding and just so nurturing ....

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=24468
[/B][/QUOTE]

The only problem I had with the crate in the room is that I would cave if she started to cry. I felt so bad, and that's when she would join me in bed after her potty break...

What I didn't mention (scared of the posts to follow...
) is that she has been getting up at 5am so I would feed her...what else would we do, she wanted to play, and there was no going back to sleep for me. Well, now of course she is used to eatting at 5...

I NEED TO BREAK THE HABIT!! AHHH I'm going

When she got me up this morning I jsut wanted to cry. She's almost 6 months old (I know she is still a baby) but I think I only had like 2 1/2 hours of sleep last night.

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
Once our boys were almost all the way potty trained they joined us in bed.Until they got a little older I usually had to take them out at least once a nite.But then it was back to bed.NO playing or eating.I never had a problem,i think they get in a pattern if you play or feed them.They then expect that every nite.So it sounds like you will have to break the pattern.Will be hard on you for awhile,good luck!Putting them in the create after that was not an option for us,we love to snuggle with them. :D (I always looked at it as getting up in the nite with a skin baby,just something you have to do for awhile.
)

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
maybe males can hold it longer?? Kodie always held his pee really long... (even when it wasnt necessary)... come to think of it... poo too! hahaha...
He sleeps with me the whole night.

·
Registered
416 Posts
My baby boy started in our bed, ended up on the floor after he peed on our bed.

Now he starts out on the floor til like 6 or 7, I take him out to potty then an we go back to bed. He sleeps the rest of the morning in our bed until like 8:30 and he's up to play. Sometimes I get lucky an he sleeps til 10!

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by DMZ dogs@Dec 20 2004, 08:08 PM
Everyone needs to start sleeping on the floor like I do!  :D  Seriously though, Cookie started sleeping all night with me on the second night.  She was four months old.  There have been two mistakes on the bed total and she's nine months old now.  That's pretty good!  When she needs to go, she just gets up, goes to her piddle pad and goes!  And yes, I did relent on the location and took it out of the bathroom.  She just couldn't stand to get her little miss princess toes on that cold tile. 

Anyway, sleep on the floor!  When they want to play, they can go get their toys and play.  When they want a drink of water, they can go and help themselves.  When they want to piddle or poo, they can do and do that in the appropriate place without waking you up.  You'll never worry about them falling off or jumping on or off and hurting themselves in the process.  Western style beds take up too much room anyhow. 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=24561
[/QUOTE]

I'm not quite ready for the floor but I do have a "low profile" box springs and a very low bed. I did that purposely a couple years ago when it was time for new stuff knowing I'd always have a Maltese in my life. I have a real fluffy down comforter, so Kallie sort of climbs up the comforter with no problem and the same with getting off. Catcher hasn't tried jumping yet and I'm not going to encourage it. From almost the very beginning, he has slept through the night. He can hold it for such a long time.... but I can't! I get up around 5:00 a.m. and take him to his pad and then we're back in bed until time to get up. He sleeps above my head on the top part of my pillow.....
I look forward to going to bed just to be close to him...... he has such a peaceful aura.....

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Okay...here is my report for night number 1. . .

Tini had been lounging on my bed from about 10-10:30. So, I figured sinse she is sleeping I will just put her in her crate in the other room. I'll leave the door open and just gate the doorway. Well, after 22 barks I cracked. I know that is so bad of me, and she will never learn... but I have to think about a couple other things like; I live in an apartment, and I have a roommate who has to be to work at 7:30 on Tuesday mornings.

SO... needless to say I let Tini sleep in my bed with me. She must have played A LOT yesterday because she slept till 4:15. I took her to go potty and then brought her back to bed. Everything was going fine until my roommate brought out Milo to do his business and she started to cry because she turned the light on (you can see it through my vents, and under the door). Well, my roommate came in once I was asleep again, and took Tini out of my room so her and Milo could play (it was like 5:00). She also fed them. So, this morning when she was on her way out I told her I was trying to train Tini to not eat so early in the morning. I just said 'I really appreciate you getting TIni when she was crying this morning, but I am trying to break the habit of her eatting at 5:00 in the morning.' She said okay, so we will see what happens.

I will keep you posted. -_-

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by nataliecmu@Dec 21 2004, 09:19 AM
Okay...here is my report for night number 1. . .

Tini had been lounging on my bed from about 10-10:30. So, I figured sinse she is sleeping I will just put her in her crate in the other room. I'll leave the door open and just gate the doorway. Well, after 22 barks I cracked. I know that is so bad of me, and she will never learn... but I have to think about a couple other things like; I live in an apartment, and I have a roommate who has to be to work at 7:30 on Tuesday mornings.

SO... needless to say I let Tini sleep in my bed with me. She must have played A LOT yesterday because she slept till 4:15. I took her to go potty and then brought her back to bed. Everything was going fine until my roommate brought out Milo to do his business and she started to cry because she turned the light on (you can see it through my vents, and under the door). Well, my roommate came in once I was asleep again, and took Tini out of my room so her and Milo could play (it was like 5:00). She also fed them. So, this morning when she was on her way out I told her I was trying to train Tini to not eat so early in the morning. I just said 'I really appreciate you getting TIni when she was crying this morning, but I am trying to break the habit of her eatting at 5:00 in the morning.' She said okay, so we will see what happens. 

I will keep you posted.  -_-
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=24631
[/QUOTE]

As a compromise, if you don't want her in your bed the whole night, try her in the crate but in your room where she can see you. That was working fine for me with Catcher until I let him sleep in the bed one night and forever after he insisted on doing it every night!

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Nataliecmu--What is your weekday schedule? What time do you wake up for work? Can your roomie make taking milo AND Tini out to potty play and eat a routine?

I use to put my babies in a separate room too! But then we decided we wanted to be closer to them and moved their crates in the room. At first, Cloud would bark and whine everytime we even moved. We kept SSSSHHHHHHing him and telling him to hush and all. It took a couple of days, They gotta fall asleep sooner or later.
Sometimes we let them on the bed too. But sometimes I wonder if they'd rather sleep with us or in their crate. Sometimes when Noriko's on our bed, she would stand at the side of our bed staring at her crate. We put those weird pillows that are like cool to the touch in her crate. SHE LOVES that pillow. It's a small pillow and were popular just last year and are really popular and cheaper this year. It feels like lil styrofoam inside the pillow. My point is, try to make it so comfortable in the crate, that Tini would prefer the crate.
Good luck!

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I love having Tini in bed with me, she is just so warm
...it's just the schedule she is on right now. My roommate works mostly nights so she really doesn't mind getting up with both dogs, but that's the habit I want to break. I really don't think the dogs need to be fed at 5:00 in the morning and then taken back to bed (this is what she does).
I mean even one extra hour...I would get up at 6 or 6:30 to feed her because that's when my boyfriend gets up...

I guess I just want to get the "bladder control" situation under control. I really think the problem is the "holding it"... she never has to "hold it" because she can go whenever she wants during the day, and then at night I'm her potty-slave, and get up with her whenever she cries (which I know is my fault).

When I first brought her home she would only go one time in the middle of the night... now it is at least 2, with an expected breakfast at 5 (also my fault for letting it happen).

I just need to suck it up and focus on training her. I was thinking maybe I should just train her to do her business outside, that way when she gets up in the middle of the night we don't even go by her food bowl (and it's so cold she will run out, do her business, and run back in). The only problem with that is my roommate doesn't want Milo to learn to go outside, so we would still have the two litter boxes in the apartment...

Can you tell I am just torn?

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I just wanted to post an update... (I already posted in Maltese Health)

Tini ended up having a bladder and ear infection. Now, she is sleeping right through the night. She is not even getting up in the middle of the night for her potty break! She is feeling SOOOOOOOOOO much better. :D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts