Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm trying to become more active in the SM community lately and I wanted to share something really awesome that happened today at my job. I'm an emergency mental health clinician and do trauma intervention. I'm sort of a first responder so we work 24/7 in our program and often have to work on holidays. Well this year my work days fall on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day and the day after Christmas so I was pretty sure I wouldn't be able to spend the holidays with my family because I pack in about 40 hours during those three days...

Today at our case consultation meeting I found out that I can work from home on Christmas Eve and will only have to go out if I get paged! I'm so pleased! Now I feel like my holiday spirits are a little more on track because I felt like I was holding the rest of my family back a little with the celebration due to my crazy schedule... Now I can be with family and will get paid time and a half on all the hours worked! It's a huge win win for me and something I've been concerned about for months now. What a weight off my shoulders. :chili:

Thanks for reading, just had to share my good news.

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
Oh wow , i think thats just awesome , i can only imagine how relieved and happy you must be ! Woo hoo! That is great news , enjoy ur holidays !

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the good news love ladies! I've needed it, this hasn't been the easiest holiday season so far for my family and I so this is our little silly, Christmas miracle.

Although I have to say: it is an honor to be working on Christmas too and a way that I can reach out to folks in need on a day when a lot of people are in their homes and not available to lend hands. I'm glad to be able to do that, but now at least, not at the complete sacrifice of my plans with family.

·
Premium Member
24,019 Posts
Congratulations. :chili: Sounds like best case scenario if you have to work at all. Working Christmas is such a bummer.
My DS has been asked to work Christmas Eve, Christmas day, Sunday morning and Sunday night. We were in shock. He's only 20 and we always have christmas together but we have company coming to our Vermont house and are supposed to go up on the 23rd. We're so bummed. He'll be working all the time so we won't see him anyway but it feels very Grinch-y.:angry:

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hummm does your son work in the medical field? Or something that makes his business need to stay open 24/7? That's so hard! I'm sorry to hear it and I agree it does seem like his employer isn't thinking of his employees' happiness with a schedule like that...

·
Premium Member
24,019 Posts
Hummm does your son work in the medical field? Or something that makes his business need to stay open 24/7? That's so hard! I'm sorry to hear it and I agree it does seem like his employer isn't thinking of his employees' happiness with a schedule like that...
Nope, tv business. Local news so they have newscasts early morning, noon, 5, 6 and 11pm in our market. I used to work in news in my early career and had to work all shifts, most holidays and overnights. :blink: Yech!

·
Premium Member
6,086 Posts
Congratulations. :chili: Sounds like best case scenario if you have to work at all. Working Christmas is such a bummer.
My DS has been asked to work Christmas Eve, Christmas day, Sunday morning and Sunday night. We were in shock. He's only 20 and we always have christmas together but we have company coming to our Vermont house and are supposed to go up on the 23rd. We're so bummed. He'll be working all the time so we won't see him anyway but it feels very Grinch-y.:angry:
What a drag, Sue. I'm sorry to her that. I hope my son doesn't have to work during Christmas. I was hoping we could all go to church together on Christmas Eve...

·
Premium Member
2,388 Posts
Thank you for being THAT person that helps and works on Christmas. You are correct there are people that need help on those days too.

When my girls were small kids my DH worked rotating shifts. When it was his turn to work on Christmas we would made the day before Christmas. We would wake up as if it was Christmas. Everyone was happy. And if we forgot batteries we could always go to the store. B)

Oh and now that I think of it, DH's daughter was with us every other year so on those years we would do Christmas on Christmas eve.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Great news Jessica! I am so happy that you will be there to spend the holiday with your family! Thank you too, for your sacrifice to help people in need, it is a real blessing to have caring people like yourself in the medical field.

·
Premium Member
4,225 Posts
Been in your shoes, I am glad it is going to work out for you. Hubby is a paramedic and he wants the hours for extra time, so I know what it is like to not have family at this time of year. :thumbsup:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts