Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:angry: I just saw a Malt,male 8 weeks at a pet supply store. He was kinda big for 8 weeks,almost twice the size mine were at 8 weeks... But hopefully bigger is healthier...
I asked where he came from and the lady said "local breeder" in a kinda snippy way. She wouldn't give any breeder info,which bothered me...I'd be googling it for sure....
We felt sorry for the little guy. We remarked later ,how cheap he was... and thought "puppymill"... :smilie_tischkante:
He was really cute,we'd take him just to make sure he had a happy home but I don't want to help finance a "greeder".

·
Premium Member
3,646 Posts
:angry: I just saw a Malt,male 8 weeks at a pet supply store. He was kinda big for 8 weeks,almost twice the size mine were at 8 weeks... But hopefully bigger is healthier...
I asked where he came from and the lady said "local breeder" in a kinda snippy way. She wouldn't give any breeder info,which bothered me...I'd be googling it for sure....
We felt sorry for the little guy. We remarked later ,how cheap he was... and thought "puppymill"... :smilie_tischkante:
He was really cute,we'd take him just to make sure he had a happy home but I don't want to help finance a "greeder".
My pom Emmet came from a pet store who bought from local breeders, he is a sweet little guy. 400 seems really cheap. i hope he gets a great home.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
3. Don't be fooled by common claims made by pet stores when pushing their puppies. Despite what they may tell you, pet stores do sell puppy mill puppies.

5. Avoid the temptation to "rescue" a puppy mill puppy by buying him.
Even though your intentions may be good, don't buy a puppy with the idea that you are "rescuing" him or her. Your "rescue" opens up space for another puppy mill puppy and puts money into the pockets of the puppy mill industry. Pet stores won't leave their cages empty and websites won't leave their pages blank. The money you spend on your puppy goes right back to the puppy mill operator and ensures they will continue breeding and treating dogs inhumanely. If you see someone keeping puppies in poor conditions, alert your local animal control authorities instead of buying.

Buying A Puppy : The Humane Society of the United States

95% of pet store puppies come from puppy mills. The store employees are taught to lie and say they come from "local breeders". They count on you being too attached to the puppy to return him when you get the papers and find out he is from a Missouri puppy mill.

I am glad you walked away. IMO there is no such thing as "rescuing" a puppy from a pet store. You are purchasing the puppy therefore enabling this horrible industry to continue.

Everyone who is tempted to buy a pet store puppy should remind themselves of the parents of that puppy who will spend the rest of their lives in a puppy mill for the sole purpose of producing puppies to replace the one you just bought.

·
Premium Member
3,646 Posts
3. Don't be fooled by common claims made by pet stores when pushing their puppies. Despite what they may tell you, pet stores do sell puppy mill puppies.

5. Avoid the temptation to "rescue" a puppy mill puppy by buying him. Even though your intentions may be good, don't buy a puppy with the idea that you are "rescuing" him or her. Your "rescue" opens up space for another puppy mill puppy and puts money into the pockets of the puppy mill industry. Pet stores won't leave their cages empty and websites won't leave their pages blank. The money you spend on your puppy goes right back to the puppy mill operator and ensures they will continue breeding and treating dogs inhumanely. If you see someone keeping puppies in poor conditions, alert your local animal control authorities instead of buying.

Buying A Puppy : The Humane Society of the United States

95% of pet store puppies come from puppy mills. The store employees are taught to lie and say they come from "local breeders". They count on you being too attached to the puppy to return him when you get the papers and find out he is from a Missouri puppy mill.

I am glad you walked away. IMO there is no such thing as "rescuing" a puppy from a pet store. You are purchasing the puppy therefore enabling this horrible industry to continue.

Everyone who is tempted to buy a pet store puppy should remind themselves of the parents of that puppy who will spend the rest of their lives in a puppy mill for the sole purpose of producing puppies to replace the one you just bought.
Marg I know better now, but this women did get her pups locally, I am sure it was small puppymills or byb they are everwhere:smilie_tischkante: I have been very lucky with Emmet he has enjoyed good health. Edgar is back at the vet today again with his anal glands. He may need surgery:unsure:

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
ex-dh and I saw a Malt at a local petshop for $800 and she was 4 mos old...and weighed like 12 or 14 lbs already. wow.

·
Registered
13,404 Posts
Puppymills often mix bichon with maltese to make larger litters. That's why the babies are large for their age. As Marj's post stated, sympathy buys only perpetuate the suffering of the dogs that supply them.

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
Yes, please do not purchase or "rescue" a puppy from a pet store -- they all come from puppy mills and although you may just be trying to give them a good home, there will be another puppy in that store to replace the one you just bought immediately. Please do not support puppy mills by buying a puppy from a pet store.

·
Registered
10,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes, please do not purchase or "rescue" a puppy from a pet store -- they all come from puppy mills and although you may just be trying to give them a good home, there will be another puppy in that store to replace the one you just bought immediately. Please do not support puppy mills by buying a puppy from a pet store.
It's hard to overcome that temptation,but I had to walk away and hope he gets a god home. I don't want even one thin dime or crusty penny for a "greeder"..sometimes I think they "bank" on our soft hearts.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
It's hard to overcome that temptation,but I had to walk away and hope he gets a god home. I don't want even one thin dime or crusty penny for a "greeder"..sometimes I think they "bank" on our soft hearts.
The key is to never shop at pet stores that sell puppies or kittens. Don't give them a dime of your money and if you are brave enough, tell them why.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I went to the mall today and they have a pet store called Safari Pet Centre. I feel like crying every time I leave. Those poor things are crammed in a small space and they are staring at the opening wishing that anyone will free them. They all have sad eyes too !:crying:My daughter wanted to see the kittens and they was diahrea everywhere. I had to inform the sales girl who then cleaned it up. Those kittens must of been ill. So sad.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts