Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so after having hair that would never hold a curl with the curling iron for my whole life, I wanted to try something major. So I got a perm! I looove it on the back of my hair, but the front was still completely straight! Well that sucks, what good is a hairstyle if it only looks good from the back! I called the stylist back and she was nice and said she'd never had a perm fall out like that but she would try to fix it. She re-permed the straight part with smaller rods and IT'S STILL STRAIGHT! How can hair not curl after TWO PERMS? The stylist didn't even know what to do after that.

Ok I feel a little better now....

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
lol My hair doesn't like perms either! So you're not alone! :thumbsup:

I got a perm a couple years ago and my hair REFUSED to be anything other than pin straight... We're both cursed to live with straight hair apparently.. :blush:

·
Premium Member
11,148 Posts
I thought I was the only one that ever happened too. Yrs ago I kept trying to get a good perm on my straight hair. Of probably 10, only 2 worked for me. It was like part of my hair would hold a perm & part wouldn't. I would have straight hair sticking out of the curls in every direction or I would have burned straight frizzy hair all over. I gave up & just let my hair hang straight. :blush: My DIL is a hair stylist & when I told her about that, she said she's never heard of that happening.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Bleh, you can have mine, I don't want 'em... Curly hairs sucks. My hair is the exact opposite. I try to straighten it now and then, but it refuses to stay straight for more than a week or two. Then it starts curling right back up again.

·
Premium Member
10,186 Posts
Ok, so after having hair that would never hold a curl with the curling iron for my whole life, I wanted to try something major. So I got a perm! I looove it on the back of my hair, but the front was still completely straight! Well that sucks, what good is a hairstyle if it only looks good from the back! I called the stylist back and she was nice and said she'd never had a perm fall out like that but she would try to fix it. She re-permed the straight part with smaller rods and IT'S STILL STRAIGHT! How can hair not curl after TWO PERMS? The stylist didn't even know what to do after that.

Ok I feel a little better now....
Are you on any kind of medications? One time I was going to get a perm before I had a scheduled surgery, and the hair stylist told me the anesthesia could take out the curl ... so, I waited.

I used to get body perms before we would go on cruises ... but, I haven't had one in a while. I do know that the perms do not last as long as they used to.

If it will make you feel any better ... a cap just fell out of my mouth while I was eating a salad! :w00t: Canine tooth, too! I'm ready for Halloween! I know ... it's all relative. I understand bad hair days, too. :)

I would ask your stylist if she used the same kind of perm on you the second time. I would think she would try and use a different brand perm ... at no charge, of course. Just my humble opinion ...

·
Premium Member
20,031 Posts
I'd love to have some curls....even just a little fullness....*sigh*.....

Guess the grass is always greener on the other side. I feel your pain...

·
Premium Member
10,186 Posts
I'd love to have some curls....even just a little fullness....*sigh*.....

Guess the grass is always greener on the other side. I feel your pain...
That's what I need ... I really need a body perm for a little fullness. But, I guess I am one in a million who hates beauty salons. And, I only have one friend who is a hair stylist and does it right. Unfortunately, she lives at a considerable distance from me.

Pat, you always look gorgeous though.

·
Premium Member
8,521 Posts
Are you on any kind of medications? One time I was going to get a perm before I had a scheduled surgery, and the hair stylist told me the anesthesia could take out the curl ... so, I waited.

I used to get body perms before we would go on cruises ... but, I haven't had one in a while. I do know that the perms do not last as long as they used to.

If it will make you feel any better ... a cap just fell out of my mouth while I was eating a salad! :w00t: Canine tooth, too! I'm ready for Halloween! I know ... it's all relative. I understand bad hair days, too. :)

I would ask your stylist if she used the same kind of perm on you the second time. I would think she would try and use a different brand perm ... at no charge, of course. Just my humble opinion ...

I was going to ask the same thing, medications can do strange things to our hair. Maybe your hormones are out of wack. I know each time i got pregnant my extremely wavy hair would go stick straight and turn black. My hair is naturally dark brown and used to be very wavy to the point of curly, now it's just wavy.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks girls. :)

The re-perming did help a little so maybe I can put my straight pieces in wet braids and get a little wave by letting it dry like that. It just sucks that the best part of my hair is the back of it! Oh well, it was a good experiment. I would totally do it again if I could get a good curl all over.

·
Premium Member
6,227 Posts
As a young girl my mum would curl my hair the irish way rapping my wet hair around her finger and then in rags i hated my curls i looked like nelly oleson
40 years later i would love a few curls .

·
Premium Member
2,955 Posts
I can feel your pain. I have the straightest, flattest hair on earth. No matter what I do or how much spray I use, it is still flat... so basically, I gave up!!
Luckily, both of my daughters were born with beautiful hair!
One of my daughters was actually born with curly hair. It's not frizzy curly... just beautifully wavy and blond at that!! I don't know where she got that from, but I am always jealous. And of course.... she dyes her hair dark and straightens it almost everyday!!! :smpullhair::smpullhair::smrofl: So... I guess the grass is always greener is pretty much always true when it comes to hair!!!

I'm sure that your hair looks very nice!

·
Registered
10,733 Posts
My hair is thin and will get a little wave to it,mostly in the back,which is great...if I walked backwards my whole life!
It hangs straight in the front and does a curl flip on the end and sticks out like a wing,yuck!
A perm just fries my hair,my scalp too,too sensative to perms. So intead of stick straight hair,which I could deal with..I have to beat it into place w/ a hair dryer and a shovel.... or look like I just crawled out of bed...
Gee now there'sa visual...

·
Registered
542 Posts
I had perms when I was younger, there is a rather large part of my hair that won't curl either. It is right in the middle of the top of my head!!!!

·
Registered
863 Posts
OMG ladies! EVERYONE I know wants straight hair. I just got the Brazilian Blowout to straighten my hair more. I've got tons of hair and with curl my head looks to big for my body, LOL. Just remember, everyone wants your hair.

·
Premium Member
192 Posts
Rag curls might help if you sleep in them, but the perm should help you hold a curl now, even if it didn't come out curly. If it still doesn't hold a curl, it may be too dried out and need something to strengthen the hair, too. I use Moroccan Oil (you can buy it on Amazon or at a beauty supply shop). I've had the same problem many times, and I'd much rather have the hair in the back come out great, it's the hardest part for me to reach and curl! Hope your hair cooperates - it's hard to feel your best when your hair isn't how you want it to look.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts