Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ANCHORAGE, Alaska -- A dashcam video from the Alaska State Troopers shows a dog leading them through winding back roads to a blazing fire at his owners' property.
The video on the troopers' website shows the German shepherd running to meet the trooper's vehicle, then racing to the house on Caswell Lakes on April 4.
Troopers say Buddy and his owner, 23-year-old Ben Heinrichs, were in the family workshop when a heater ignited chemicals. Heinrichs told Buddy: "We need to get help."
The dog eventually found a trooper responding to a call about the fire.
The State Troopers are presenting a special award Friday to the dog. Buddy will receive an engraved silver-plated dog bowl in Anchorage.
Heinrichs suffered minor flash burns on his face. The workshop was destroyed, but only some window trim on the house was damaged.

You can see the video here: Dog leads Alaska troopers to blazing fire - 4/23/10 - Los Angeles-Southern California-LA Breaking News, Weather, Traffic, Sports - abc7.com

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
What a great story!! Dogs are truly amazing animals :wub:

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My favorite part from the video: Buddy kept turning his head back to make sure the police car was still following him! What an awesome dog! So smart!!!

·
Premium Member
12,783 Posts
love it! Although I have to wonder what was going through the trooper's mind at the time. he couldnt' have been thinking 'wow, this dog is showing me where to go'. It was probably more like 'I wish this d*mn dog would get out of the way!' But I'm sure he realized afterwards how 'special' it was!

Thanks for posting the link!

·
Premium Member
4,225 Posts
The trooper was keeping his spotlight on the dog. It is amazing what dogs understand.

·
Registered
13,404 Posts
I saw it on the news too! That dog was so smart and even checking on the patrol car. What a great dog!

·
Registered
10,740 Posts
I saw that today too,amazing isn't it. They do know when something is wrong.

My Amy found my fibroid tumour. She kept jumping on my lower abdomen and pushing her paws on my lower abdomen or she'd sit her bum on it just right and I could feel pressure and dull pain ,but when I palpated it,I couldn't feel it.

I thought I was just getting the middle age "pouch",that bulge we get as we get older. Sometimes she'd sit on my lap and put her nose,right where my lower abdomen and just keep it there,like I had a dog treat or something there.
It was really wierd. Wasn't until I had an alarming amount of bleeding that they found it. I just wonder if somehow she knew. She had been doing this for several months but it took the bleeding to make me see it. You just never know.
I required a hysterectomy and she never left my side. I had so much pain in my right flank after surgery and later it turned out the doctor tied off my kidney during the hysterectomy and forgot to untie it. Nearly killed me. After the second surgery Amy was more calm and not nearly as clingy was she was. Sure makes you wonder doesn't it?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts