Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

I made it!!!!

1K views 18 replies 18 participants last post by  Scoobydoo 
#1 ·
I got accepted into the doctorate program I interviewed for!!!
I'm excited, but thinking about the chunk of change it will cost me. I believe it will take me 3.5 years to get my doctorate!!!! It will be in Organizational Leadership.

I am so excited! Now I just need a job. I have been looking for assistant principal jobs here in So. Cal., but it is a really hard job market. In California alone there was 1,000 pink slips for educators. Now here I am, trying to start a new career from a teacher to a vice principal...it is very difficult, especially when, get this, in one district I heard there were 60 -100 applicants per assistant principal job. I am sure that the majority of them have experience, and I don't. Looks like I will have to spend another year as a teacher...not so bad, but I kinda wanted a raise!!!

~Elegant :D

See less See more
#8 ·
Congratulations on your acceptance into the doctorate program. My son-in-law continued to do classroom teaching while he completed his doctorate. He actually did his research in the school on the children left behind program. He found the classroom teaching (in a small school) less stressful, and it also gave him family time. So, the classroom (other than the raise) might have a positive there for you.

#15 ·
Wow, thanks you guys! :D

I just heard that my district is cutting some jobs...not teaching ones yet, but I am sure those are right around the corner. I think I will probably be teaching in September, but that's ok!
It will probably be easier to teach while getting my doctorate anyways, you know? Thanks for the support!

~Elegant

#18 ·
Congratulations!
You're going to be very busy over the next few years!!!

I did my doctoral studies while working as a full time administrator over large programs and teaching. This route really does advance your research, opportunities and studies -but sure is exhausting. The main points to consider are the workload and stress level - most administrative positions have far more responsibilities, accountability, and stress than teaching positions (of course, they pay far more, too).

If you are looking to segue into assistant principalship, have you let your principal and superintendent know of your interest? People get ill, have emergencies, quit, or unexpected projects arise all the time - and unexpected openings happen - and usually, whoever is available and willing is slotted right in on an interim basis. Then, when the permanent position comes up, you bump up to the top of the shortlist due to experience in the position (that's how I got my "big break" into an administrative position). :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.