Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i decided to take her. after debating long and hard. after discussing it to death with my boyfriend, we decided to take her. actually we already have her, we went to pick her up last night. we decided on a lot of things:

- we're opening a separate bank account for her and setting aside 10% of each of our paychecks for future medical emergencies
- if we were to break up in the future, i would have custody of her -_-
- if anytime soon our schedules were to change and we get really busy, we would leave her at my retired aunt's house during the day (she has 2 yorkies)
- we're getting testing done for: liver shunt, luxated patella

so we went to pick her up and she just woke up from a nap when we got her. we didn't even have to go shopping for her. she came with everything: crate, bed, collar, leash, shampoo, conditioner, brushes, toothbrushes, treats, food, toys, carpet cleaner, bitter apple spray etc. we need to get some pee pads and a carrier and greenies. other than that, we have a lot of supplies!

when we got home, she explored a lot and sniffed everywhere. then she was about to pee, but we hurriedly carried her to the pee pad. so far, she is good at peeing where she is supposed to. she also likes sleeping in her crate and woke us in the middle of night by whining so that she could do her business. we had to play with her for a couple of minutes before she went back to sleep.

i do have one concern about her though. when we look at her straight in the eye or stare at her in the eye, she barks. but she doesn't bark a lot, but she just gives a very soft *bark* and then looks away. what is she trying to say? she doesn't like us looking at her?

other than that, we are enjoying her puppy antics. she is so funny! and she is very sweet and gives us lots of puppy kisses. she smells like coconut.

p.s. we decided to keep the name that my friend gave her: coco. i wanted to name her emma, but she responds to coco better.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Sounds like you made a very well informed decision. This little girl lucked out!

As far as the eye contact, when a dog looks another dog directly in the eye, it's a challenge. That's why they tell you to never make eye contact with a loose, aggressive dog. She is just being submissive when you stare her down.

I'd really recommend the book The Culture Clash by Jean Donaldson for anyone with a puppy. We had a book club discussion (sort of) about it several months ago. It's a wonderful look at the way a dog thinks and how to use that information to successfully train a dog.

·
Registered
939 Posts
That is so great, congratulations!

And sooooo..... the fun begins along with lots of love
. You will never want another breed of dog after having Coco.

Judi

·
Registered
7,621 Posts
I'm glad you decided to take her... If I was presented with that decision, I wouldn't have waited, I'm a total sucker for a puppy
. Sounds like you have everything planned out, the bank account is a great idea!

Just remember to be patient, having a puppy can be a bit trying at times...but it's all WORTH it! Give little Coco(puff)
hugs for me!!

-c

·
Premium Member
8,543 Posts
ditto for the eye contact. You are challenging her and she barks back because she does not like it.
When we scold Alex he will bark back or walk away mumbling. He wants to have the last word. It's funny sometimes.

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
Good for you and for her! Keep us posted.

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
congrats! how exciting!

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Congrats!!! I'm glad you have already bonded so well with her.... There is nothing like getting a new puppy! Enjoy!!!

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Sunnydays,

I am so glad that you chose to get this little angel. God really does put people and others in our path sometimes in strange ways...but they turn out to be the very best..friends, husbands, furbabies..etc.

Good luck with your little one.

S

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
Oh, I'm so happy you got her!!
You won't regret it - you probably will think "What have I done?" a few times the first couple of weeks but then it will all work out great! So hang in there, she's still a very young baby!!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Originally posted by MalteseJane@May 6 2005, 09:39 AM
ditto for the eye contact. You are challenging her and she barks back because she does not like it.
When we scold Alex he will bark back or walk away mumbling. He wants to have the last word. It's funny sometimes.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=60370
[/QUOTE]

That's funny. GiGi does the same thing as if to say, "I'm doing it but I'm still the boss." I was really surprised at how vocal a Maltese can be. They are really tempermental in the sense that they will get an attitude with you and have no problem letting you know that they have one! Cracks me up!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts