Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted a few days ago that I was going to start grooming Chloe at home, because she was getting very stressed everytime I took her to the groomer. Well I bought a pair of clippers and they came yesterday. I decided to try and start clipping her tonight. Well it was awful - the poor thing just shook like a leaf. I gently introduced them by letting her smell them and running them over her body. Then I went back and turned them on. When I realized she was very very scared I shut them off. It doesn't matter to me - I'll scissor cut her if I have to.

**BUT**

Now she's petrified to be on the grooming table. I'm heartbroken! She used to be so good just sitting there waiting patiently for me to put her barrette in and clean her face. Now she wants to jump off. :new_Eyecrazy:

Will she forget by tomorrow or is it too late and the damage is already done?

Thank you. I knew you guys would understand. I almost feel like crying.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
It's not too late. Put her on there and give her a treat. Eventually she will start associating it with good things again!

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you! Your words encouraged me and I tried putting her on there for a second and pretended to fiddle with her barrette. She wasn't *ecstatic* but she wasn't terrified either. Perhaps it's not too late after all. I will learn to introduce things somewhere other than the grooming table.

·
Registered
76 Posts
also since you said she had a bad experience at the groomer's more than likely it was partially the sound of the clippers.

Since I know clipping Tristan is in his future we decided to try this-- I clip my husband's hair for him (nope, not a professional, just not hard to clip it all real short) so I had Tristan sit on my husband's lap while I gave my husband his haircut. Every few minutes I would give my husband a bite of hot dog (I know we're TOTALLY nuts) with Tristan watching. Then when I was done I kept the clipper on but didn't put it actually on Tristan's skin, but he let me get near his head and feet with it (and then gave him bites of hot dog) so I don't know if that actually will WORK for conditioning him to like it but figured it was worth a try.

So my point is, maybe if you can first get Chole used to the sound. Using it (or pretending to) on yourself or family member first. Keep those treats coming at regular intervals.

Also, is she just shaking to show her fear? Like could you razor a small area, give her a treat and tell her what a "good girl" she is and then move on to another area? Is there someone around who could help comfort her while you do this?

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
You didn't mess up!! It's never too late!! Just start from the beginning and encourage her like crazy for just sitting on the table. Peanut had a bad experience at the groomers and he wouldn't sit on the table anymore either...It does take time and lots of patience but it's possible to help her feel safe again!! Just make baby steps until she has more confidence and you will be able to groom her again eventually. Peanut still fusses a bit but things have gotten better. If you can try to put her on the table a few times a day for a few minutes just for a quick brushing or even just have her sit and lay down on it, may help her get comfy being on it again. Good luck!!!!
Oh, and I save the extra special treats that Peanut loves only for grooming time.

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
Just put her up there and treat her to get her to relax. I would introduce the clippers away from the grooming table. Just have them off and running over her, etc. Don't forget the treats! Make it the best thing ever. When you do eventually turn them on, just turn them on for a second and hold them well away from her, then give her a treat. Give her lots of time (a few weeks) to adjust to the sound and then bringing the clippers closer to her. If she gets scared at any point, you went too fast and need to back off. You might even just leave them out on a table and pick them up and set them down often so she sees they are not a big deal.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Candice,

I also groom my Teddy and I am so happy that I do...I never have to worry if someone is abusing him or just plain ignoring him while he sits and waits for them to work on him.

The very first time I did this I must admit Teddy could have looked better...but I have gotten so much better over the months. I was just taking a little off the top this evening. Teddy sits still for me for the most part even for his nails. He really seems to understand I am doing this for his own good. Now Teddy looks good and people cannot tell the difference of me grooming or a professional doing it.

By the way, I never even cut any hair before and I just love Teddy so much I learned so he would be safe.

S

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you everyone so much! I appreciate it from the bottom of my heart. I will take everyone's advice and not rush it. I will also keep new experiences off the grooming table :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts