Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I moved Chulita's puppy pad from the living room/dining room area to the bathroom. I have had it in the SAME spot since she came home. I have decided to move it for obvious reasons (no one want's to look at a dog taking a poop while your eating at the dinner table...LOL )
I showed her where her new spot was and she checked it out for a quick second and walked out the bathroom right behind me. I did this a few times...and eventually she left a WHOLE LITTLE DOT of number 1. LOL Yesterday morning when my daughter brought her upstairs she went number 2 on her blanket that we have laid out for her on the rug. Later on when I got home last night I again showed her the new spot in the bathroom. As I was cooking dinner I kept checking to see what she was up to in the living room and I DIDN'T catch her but when I checked her blanket she did number 1 on it. This morning...my daughter took her out her little crate as always brought her upstairs, showed her AGAIN her new spot, said POTTY but...chulita did number 2 on the little welcome rug. We have NOT caught her in the act. I KNOW that of course she must me confused as to what the heck is going on and now that her Puppy Pad is not in it's usual spot she is going on the rug or blanket. BUT I REALLY WANT HER to learn to go in the bathroom.

Oh....I did forget to say that after I saw her eating a whole lot she was roaming around looking and sniffing. I went to the bathroom and kept pointing to her puppy pad and saying POTTY. She DID do number 2 on her Puppy Pad and I of course praised her for it.

Any advice/suggestions with this situation?? Do I just keep being consistant like I did orginally when I trained her in the very begining??

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
The only thing I would suggest is that instead of the major move, bring the pad back out to where she was used to it. When she goes back to using it again, then begin a slow process of moving it a little at a time to where you eventually want to keep it. Hope that helps!

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
The only thing I would suggest is that instead of the major move, bring the pad back out to where she was used to it. When she goes back to using it again, then begin a slow process of moving it a little at a time to where you eventually want to keep it. Hope that helps![/B]

That was gonna be my suggestion too...

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The only thing I would suggest is that instead of the major move, bring the pad back out to where she was used to it. When she goes back to using it again, then begin a slow process of moving it a little at a time to where you eventually want to keep it. Hope that helps![/B]

[/B]

I know I read about doing that. Only thing is that you have to walk down a hallway and at the end of the hallway is the bathroom...so that wouldn't work because with all 4 of us home we are constantly walking up and down that hallway to and from our bedrooms bathroom etc. If I lived ALONE of course it would work. I was thinking of maybe putting a puppy pad back to her old spot just for the morning since in the mornings with both my daughter and I getting ready for the day it's hard to keep an eye on her and then once my daughter is home...removing it and constantly showing her, her new potty spot since my daughter will be home alone with her and WILL be able to keep a constant eye on her so she won't go anywhere else. I was thinking about that this morning as an option until she gets the hang of her new spot.

I feel bad moving it....but it's better for me to do it now than later.

·
Registered
6,614 Posts

[/B]
I should have done that... instead i just never gave kodie a pad in our living room... I kept trying to get him to go into my room to use his only pad.
I guess thats baddd training on my part.

·
Registered
285 Posts
i just went through the SAME EXACT thing. i live in a one bedroom apt with my boyfriend.. well. leise's potty pad was in the dining room / living room.. but it got TOOOOO stinky. & leise likes using the bathroom when we're um.... EATING. i had to get up and clean her poo while we were eating... we lost our appetite SO many times & decided since we use the bathroom, she should too. so we moved the potty pad to the bathroom & let me tell you.. SHE DID NOT LIKE IT ONE BIT. she was a rebel in the beginning. we had to start potty training all over again. the way we taught her was, my boyfriend moved her food closer to the bathroom.. so when she's through with eating she will be near her bathroom and will go right after she eats. now she ALWAYS uses the bathroom after she eats. it really helps praising when they go & giving treats near the bathroom so your puppy knows that it's a good thing that he/she did. i hope i helped a little. . . try moving the food closer to the bathroom.. VERY CLOSE

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Even if that is a main walkway, the moving of the pad would not take forever. It is simply a temporary inconvenience for the ultimate "reward". Maybe you can get everyone on board to be more consiece (sp.?) and let this be easier on your furbaby...

·
Registered
80 Posts
Our little guy is 8 months old now and for the past few months he has been "on the money" with finding his pad, and we did what the others suggested...we had the pad right ourside his crate and moved it slowly over two weeks...until it was in it's final location..and now he finds it...if he is downstairs in the family room he will now run up the stairs and go on his pad (his aim when he is at the pad is another issue) and YES we praise him like crazy when he gets it right still today we praise him...and he did the same thing with his blanket and on our bathroom run...but then he stopped...

I moved Chulita's puppy pad from the living room/dining room area to the bathroom. I have had it in the SAME spot since she came home. I have decided to move it for obvious reasons (no one want's to look at a dog taking a poop while your eating at the dinner table...LOL )
I showed her where her new spot was and she checked it out for a quick second and walked out the bathroom right behind me. I did this a few times...and eventually she left a WHOLE LITTLE DOT of number 1. LOL Yesterday morning when my daughter brought her upstairs she went number 2 on her blanket that we have laid out for her on the rug. Later on when I got home last night I again showed her the new spot in the bathroom. As I was cooking dinner I kept checking to see what she was up to in the living room and I DIDN'T catch her but when I checked her blanket she did number 1 on it. This morning...my daughter took her out her little crate as always brought her upstairs, showed her AGAIN her new spot, said POTTY but...chulita did number 2 on the little welcome rug. We have NOT caught her in the act. I KNOW that of course she must me confused as to what the heck is going on and now that her Puppy Pad is not in it's usual spot she is going on the rug or blanket. BUT I REALLY WANT HER to learn to go in the bathroom.

Oh....I did forget to say that after I saw her eating a whole lot she was roaming around looking and sniffing. I went to the bathroom and kept pointing to her puppy pad and saying POTTY. She DID do number 2 on her Puppy Pad and I of course praised her for it.

Any advice/suggestions with this situation?? Do I just keep being consistant like I did orginally when I trained her in the very begining??[/B]

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i just went through the SAME EXACT thing. i live in a one bedroom apt with my boyfriend.. well. leise's potty pad was in the dining room / living room.. but it got TOOOOO stinky. & leise likes using the bathroom when we're um.... EATING. i had to get up and clean her poo while we were eating... we lost our appetite SO many times & decided since we use the bathroom, she should too. so we moved the potty pad to the bathroom & let me tell you.. SHE DID NOT LIKE IT ONE BIT. she was a rebel in the beginning. we had to start potty training all over again. the way we taught her was, my boyfriend moved her food closer to the bathroom.. so when she's through with eating she will be near her bathroom and will go right after she eats. now she ALWAYS uses the bathroom after she eats. it really helps praising when they go & giving treats near the bathroom so your puppy knows that it's a good thing that he/she did. i hope i helped a little. . . try moving the food closer to the bathroom.. VERY CLOSE
[/B]

Hmmmmm....O.K. that's an idea as well. Right now her food and water are close to her Puppy Pad....I think I will try that. I will tell my daughter to move her food today when she gets home from school.

THX

Even if that is a main walkway, the moving of the pad would not take forever. It is simply a temporary inconvenience for the ultimate "reward". Maybe you can get everyone on board to be more consiece (sp.?) and let this be easier on your furbaby...
[/B]

You are right...I will have to give it a TRY in combination of moving her food closer to the bathroom where her puppy pad is....but FOR SURE SOMEONE will step IN IT!! LOL I'm sure my husband will be thrilled.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
hows the training going? any advice help? progress? hope so![/B]

Actually it's going really well, really quickly. I'm I just lucky with this dog..or is she really smart. LOL What I did was move her food and water right outside the bathroom door and every morning (just temporary) I block off access to the living room/ dining room with the baby gate and she has just a very short hallway to walk around in. So she kind of has no choice but to eat her food and then go potty on her pad in the bathroom...once she goes number 1 & 2 which is pretty quickly first thing in the mornings I give her access again to the living room/ dining room because I know I won't find any accidents. Once my daughter is home she has full access to the house as she always did but my daughter keeps a close on her to make sure she does not roam somewhere to leave us presents.
So what I have been doing has worked GREAT. Eventually in the mornings I will not have to block off the living room/ dining room. But for the next week or two I will have it blocked and by then she WILL KNOW that is the new spot.

Thanks for asking.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.K SO JUST WHEN I THOUGHT SHE WAS GETTING THE HANG OF HER NEW SPOT...she did number 1 on her blanket which was on MY CARPET after I took that away. Sooooo I take her to the bathroom and tell her and show her the new potty spot. WELL.... She had the nerve to go back to the carpet right around the same spot and start NUMBER 2
ARE YOU KIDDING ME!!! I was soooooo upset with her. Lucky I caught her in the process and I said NO!! grabbed her and took her YET AGAIN to the new potty spot saying...go potty.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts