Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The last digital camera I bought was in 2004, it was the very slim sony point and shoot. I love it alot and thought the pictures I took were pretty good. I know that many technological advances have taken place since then and digital cameras now have many new features. I am looking for something small and takes good pictures on automatic. I think it would be great if it had a touch screen but it isnt necessary. The megapixels isnt too important because honestly who needs 15 megapixels, I'm not going to be printing posters. I want something that turns on very quickly, lags very little between shots and doesnt take forever to actually take the picture. I hate it when you press the button and you have to wait for 5 seconds and the two flashes before you actually get your picture. I would like to be able to take good pictures at night, as well as decent movies. Other features would be cool but its not super important.

I know Cannon has a good reputation as making very good cameras but I have always been partial to Sonys. Price isnt really an issue because Im the type of person who is willing to spend alot if it means Im getting a quality product that I like that will last a long time. My old sony lasted me 6 years and I spent 350 on it. It still works perfectly but I think its time to upgrade.

What camera do you have? Do you like it and would you recommend it? What do you wish it could do? Any suggestions would be great. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
17,343 Posts
I want to hear everyone thoughts on this too. I have a Nikon DSLR that I love dearly, but sometimes I just need a point and click camera. I've been doing a lot of research and, as I don't want to spend more than $200 for this camera, I've narrowed it down to either:

1. Canon SD1300; or
2. Sony CybershotW330

If anyone has one of these 2, I would love to hear your thoughts on them. Or -- I'm still open to another choice. :)

·
Premium Member
3,650 Posts
A couple of weeks ago I went to a camera store to look at Canon Powershots and Nikon Coolpix cameras and bought a Fujifilm. I've copied and pasted a post from five days ago in which I made some comments about my camera:

I'm also a Canon person. A family member dropped our Canon Powershot A640 and now it only works part of the time.

A little over a week ago I bought the Fujifilm Finepix F80 EXR to use for snapshots and I LOVE this little camera. For a compact camera, the image quality is great and I really like its 10x optical zoom.

I have the Canon T1i (DSLR) that I'm learning photography on, but overall I'm taking better pictures with the Fujifilm F80 EXR compact camera. My family made molasses last Saturday and we attended the World Equestrian Games this week, so I've taken LOTS of photos the last seven days.

I think I heard the camera salesperson tell another customer there's a newer model of the Fujifilm camera coming out soon. When I bought my Fujifilm, there was a $30 rebate on it.

Here's a review of the Fujifilm F80 EXR:

Fujifilm unveils FinePix F80EXR with Super CCD EXR: Digital Photography Review

Joy

·
Premium Member
20,031 Posts
I have two working cameras.

First is my Canon Rebel DSLR - it's kind of big and cumbersome, but very FAST - excellent for taking pictures of dogs and kids. And you can buy other lenses for telephoto and macro pictures

Then I have my Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS3. it's small and compact - good for keeping in my purse and travel. It has HD movie capibilities, 12x zoom and takes great pictures!

Have you read the comparisons on Consumer Reports???

·
Registered
5,433 Posts
A whole different solution for me. I have my Nikon DSLR's for more serious shooting but for general fun. I looooooove my iphone4. It is always with me. I never have to think about charging it and it takes really decent pics. and videos.

·
Registered
598 Posts
I also have a Nikon DSLR for more serious shooting- however I LOVE-LOVE-LOVE my Leica d-lux 4 P&S. It is small, lightweight, takes fantastic pictures and has the most minimal shutter lag of any point and shoot I've ever tried. It has a very fast lens,so is better than most cameras in dim light,too. Did I mention I absolutely LOVE this camera! They have just stopped making it as they have come out with the d-lux 5 which is due out this month. It is going to be a little larger, but not sure how much larger. It is pricey but the Panasonic LX3 is essentially the same camera and much less expensive than the Leica if you want to look at it. They have also stopped making it so if you liked it and could find one you may be able to get a great price. the Panasonic LX5 is also now available (same as Leica d-lux 5). Look on B&H Photo Video Digital Cameras, Photography, Camcorders for user reviews on these cameras. I looked a long time before I decided on the Leica d-lux 4 and it really is a fantastic little camera. I take it everywhere with me now and find myself using my Nikon less and less.

eta- I should have said it is better in dim light than most point and shoot cameras- not comparing it to dslr fast lenses.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have heard good things about the Cannon SD 1300. I think there is a newer version, the 1400. My friends have also recommended the Cannon S90 and S95. I personally want the Sony TX9, its so pretty and small and it comes in pink even though I would probably get the dark grey.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts