Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend has a maltese that is a little bit older than a year. She is trying to find her a new home because her fiance has returned from the military and she feels that his personality has changed in regards to animals and he has very little patience with her maltese.

She wants me to take her maltese since I plan on getting one. I am afraid to agree to this seeing as she may change her mind and want her dog back. Plus I want my own maltese.

Have any of you had someone recently return from the military and specifically 'the desert' and find that their personality has changed and they have no patience with the animals?

Should I adopt her maltese?

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
go w/ what you feel is right.. if you don't want the pup, dont' take the pup. i'd strongly suggest she wait a while longer to see if her fiance changes his tune.

secondly, if you don't adopt the pup, make sure she doesn't just sell it through the newspaper or whatever. i'm sure there are some people on here who can supply you with links for maltese rescues in your area, which place the baby in a suitable home.

wish her luck, and good luck for you too! who's that beautiful baby in your avatar?

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
That sounds like a wonderful idea to me! Of course you should "meet" the dog to make sure you like him, etc. but it sounds like something you should look in to. Raising a puppy is no easy task, as I'm sure you've heard here on SM, so starting out with one a year old sounds great!

If it were me I would insist on paying something... even $25 or $100. I would also write up a contract that both of you sign saying that you are purchasing this dog from her and paying the amount, etc. Then it becomes your dog and she cannot take him back. I think the formality of a contract and payment will let her understand that the sale is final.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Can you afford 2 puppies?
And if you totally click with her maltese, that's great.

Off topic here but who's that sweetheart in your avatar? Is that your possible new baby?

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
I agree with K/C's mom. If the maltese has a nice personality and is healthy then I really don't think you are missing much by not having a 12 week old puppy. One question though: where did this puppy come from and is it's family history known? You might not want to take a malt that could have lots of problems down the road. On the other hand, if you love it, who better to take it on.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi guys,

Thanks for all your replies. You all have great suggestions. I think I might ask my friend about a contract. The cutie in the photo is my friends maltese. Her name is tinkerbelle. That was a puppy photo of her. I have sat for her many times my friend was out of town. That's how I knew I wanted my own maltese.

·
Premium Member
8,543 Posts
Originally posted by Kallie/Catcher's Mom@Apr 25 2005, 07:39 PM
If it were me I would insist on paying something... even $25 or $100. I would also write up a contract that both of you sign saying that you are purchasing this dog from her and paying the amount, etc. Then it becomes your dog and she cannot take him back. I think the formality of a contract and payment will let her understand that the sale is final.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=56571
[/QUOTE]

Good idea !

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
Maybe you could take her "temporarily" for her to make sure she understands she won't be getting her back? I think it would be great for both of you if this works out. You have a maltese that you don't have to train!
Believe me that isn't fun! And she would be able to know her maltese has a good loving home and can visit her! I think it sounds like a Win Win situation!! I say go for it!
Just make sure she is really okay with letting her go by taking her for a few weeks first! Good Luck!!

·
Registered
422 Posts
Why not sit down with the fiancee and ask him how he really feels and if he can live with the doggie. Let him answer for his behavior.

And then if the answers are not to your satisfaction just get rid of him. If he can't live with a cute little dog then how is he going to live with a person...

Tell your friend to think and make an intelligent decision,
Ann

·
Premium Member
8,543 Posts
Originally posted by a2z@Apr 26 2005, 10:38 AM
Why not sit down with the fiancee and ask him how he really feels and if he can live with the doggie. Let him answer for his behavior.

And then if the answers are not to your satisfaction just get rid of him. If he can't live with a cute little dog then how is he going to live with a person...

Tell your friend to think and make an intelligent decision,
Ann
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=56786
[/QUOTE]

Lol. But true. People that don't love animals don't love people (most of the time). She might be saving herself a lot of heartache.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts