Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any suggestions of how to get the smell of skunk off my dog? I am leary about the tomato juice, afraid it will stain her hair.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Tomatoe juice didn't really work when I had my lhasa.

I read Vineger and water. That is supposed to be good for alot of things.

·
Registered
5,656 Posts
Our old dog was sprayed severl times when I was a kid and my mom always used tomato juice. One time she was out of it and used tomato paste and V8 juice. It always worked for her.

I would be worried about staining too, but I think the awful smell would be enough for me to go ahead anyway.

Good luck!

·
Registered
802 Posts
http://www.care2.com/channels/solutions/pets/145

I just found this site which was interesting, it says that anything acidic like vinegar and tomato juice usually work because the skunk spray is alkaline. Anyway have a look and see what you think.
[/B]

Funny, the peroxide solution they mention is the same one I have read somewhere else to neutralize dog pee in rugs. If it works on nasty skunk oder, urine oder should be a sinch.

When I used tomatoe juice (many cans) on my lhasa the faint skunk scent remained with her for about a month and a half. She slept with me so that scent was right there. It smelled like burnt rubber bands. yuk.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts