Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In reading about poor little Tucker getting Parvo after all vaccinations, I need some advice.

Here is my problem: I have to attend high school football games on Friday nights starting real soon. The in town games are no problem. My problem is with the out of town games. I have a friend who is the director of our local animal shelter who said she could come over and play with Paris and let her out in the evening. I have always had the concern of parvo in the back of my mind but I thought once vaccinated that she would be okay. She has had all of her shots. Now I don't know what to do...she said that she changes her clothes and shoes. She takes care of several peoples' dogs that I know but they also have bigger dogs. She is wonderful with animals but I don't want Paris to get sick. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
608 Posts
Originally posted by paris@Aug 8 2005, 01:20 PM
In reading about poor little Tucker getting Parvo after all vaccinations, I need some advice.

Here is my problem:  I have to attend high school football games on Friday nights starting real soon.  The in town games are no problem.  My problem is with the out of town games.  I have a friend who is the director of our local animal shelter who said she could come over and play with Paris and let her out in the evening.  I have always had the concern of parvo in the back of my mind but I thought once vaccinated that she would be okay.  She has had all of her shots.  Now I don't know what to do...she said that she changes her clothes and shoes.  She takes care of several peoples' dogs that I know but they also have bigger dogs.  She is wonderful with animals but I don't want Paris to get sick.  Any suggestions?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=88322
[/QUOTE]

How old is Paris?

I am not sure of the exact odds or percent of cases of parvo over 1 yr but I know it is extremely low. Parvo is mostly a puppy disease.

·
Registered
4,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Paris will be 10 months old on the 18th.

I don't know, maybe I'm just being too overly-protective...

·
Registered
608 Posts
Originally posted by paris@Aug 8 2005, 01:43 PM

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=88332
[/QUOTE]

No your not. Parvo is life threatening and can be caught even if your pup is vaccinated. If it were me knowing she changes her clothes/showers before coming over and steps in bleach so it isn't on the bottom of her shoes I don't know that I would worry that much as Paris is older. But I would take her personal hygiene into consideration, many people who work for a vet have puppies so it is possible to contain the virus w/ good hygiene.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Originally posted by dhodina+Aug 8 2005, 01:52 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-paris
@Aug 8 2005, 01:43 PM

No your not. Parvo is life threatening and can be caught even if your pup is vaccinated. If it were me knowing she changes her clothes/showers before coming over and steps in bleach so it isn't on the bottom of her shoes I don't know that I would worry that much as Paris is older. But I would take her personal hygiene into consideration, many people who work for a vet have puppies so it is possible to contain the virus w/ good hygiene.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=88338
[/B][/QUOTE]
I have to agree. I don't think you are being overly protective. I never thought that Tucker would get Parvo after being vaccinated. I really don't have a good answer for you, because of what I'm going through right now. It scares me to death to think of ever letting Tucker go anywhere again...like Petsmart, the groomers, outside ect... but I know I'm gonna have to and even if I didn't it wouldn't matter. After I found out how easily Parvo can be tranmitted, I now know that it can come in your house even if your dog never steps foot outside of the home. I'm not trying to scare you or anything, but you know what I'm going through. Just so you know, my vet says he hardly ever sees a case of Parvo in a fully vaccinated dog. He also was shocked that Tucker got it.

·
Registered
4,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Originally posted by TuckersMom+Aug 8 2005, 03:11 PM-->
Originally posted by [email protected] 8 2005, 01:52 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-paris

[/QUOTE]
I have to agree. I don't think you are being overly protective. I never thought that Tucker would get Parvo after being vaccinated. I really don't have a good answer for you, because of what I'm going through right now. It scares me to death to think of ever letting Tucker go anywhere again...like Petsmart, the groomers, outside ect... but I know I'm gonna have to and even if I didn't it wouldn't matter. After I found out how easily Parvo can be tranmitted, I now know that it can come in your house even if your dog never steps foot outside of the home. I'm not trying to scare you or anything, but you know what I'm going through. Just so you know, my vet says he hardly ever sees a case of Parvo in a fully vaccinated dog. He also was shocked that Tucker got it.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=88367
[/B][/QUOTE]

Tucker'smom, my heart goes out to you. Like I said the thought was always in the back of my mind but Tucker's misfortune really scares me to think that I know my friend is around parvo and could easily bring it into my house. I truly pray that Tucker gets completely well and he will be back home shortly.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Originally posted by paris+Aug 8 2005, 03:28 PM-->
Originally posted by [email protected] 8 2005, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by [email protected] 8 2005, 01:52 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-paris

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=88367
Tucker'smom, my heart goes out to you. Like I said the thought was always in the back of my mind but Tucker's misfortune really scares me to think that I know my friend is around parvo and could easily bring it into my house. I truly pray that Tucker gets completely well and he will be back home shortly.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=88380
[/B][/QUOTE]
Thanks Paris...my advice is just do the best you can...They're just like children...sometimes it's a big bad world out there and you can't always protect them from everything even though we all wish we could...

·
Registered
499 Posts
Yes, I am worried about it to. Also about all we hear about overvaccinating our dogs after puppyhood. What to do? JMM or Lady Montalva?

·
Registered
942 Posts
I didn't start taking Chanel out until she was about 1 year old. I am overly protective, but who cares? I wanted to make darn sure she wasn't going to catch anything!

~Elegant

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by Elegant@Aug 8 2005, 06:51 PM
I didn't start taking Chanel out until she was about 1 year old.  I am overly protective, but who cares? I wanted to make darn sure she wasn't going to catch anything! 

~Elegant
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=88431
[/QUOTE]

I am overly protective, too. Today at the vet there was a lady in there with a teeny baby Westie... in for his 2nd round of shots and on a leash!! Walking outside and in the vet's office. I told the receptionist to have someone tell her that her dog should not be walking on the floor at the vet's and especially outside where other dogs "go" even if they're not supposed to go there... But I guess she didn't know any better......

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
there is always a question on the efficacy of vaccines given. if your pup got more than one series of shots from a vet then i think Paris will be fine. how old was she for her last set of shots? not to knock breeders but i know many vets who dont trust vaccines given by breeders. and will repeat them just to be on the safe side. some breeders get cheaper vaccines, or may not handle vaccines properly that will make them ineffective. im sure there are many breeders who do everything right. just saying there are some out there. it sounded like tucker was eating other dogs poop...which really increases his chances. to get parvo the dog has to ingest the infected poop. sure the amount can be as small as a pin point. but if the vaccines are handled properly and your pup recieved multiple series until the appropriate age, then she should be fine. especially if ur friend will be changing their clothes, there is really not a high chance of her bringing parvo into ur house. of course this is just my opinion..you can always discuss this with your vet and see if they have any concerns.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Originally posted by LadyMontava@Aug 8 2005, 07:08 PM
there is always a question on the efficacy of vaccines given.  if your pup got more than one series of shots from a vet then i think Paris will be fine.  how old was she for her last set of shots?  not to knock breeders but i know many vets who dont trust vaccines given by breeders.  and will repeat them just to be on the safe side.  some breeders get cheaper vaccines, or may not handle vaccines properly that will make them ineffective.  im sure there are many breeders who do everything right.  just saying there are some out there.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=88462
[/QUOTE]
Heck, I just got a report from the USDA on Lexi's breeder and in the report they said she had been using out of date vaccines!!

·
Registered
4,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Originally posted by LadyMontava@Aug 8 2005, 07:08 PM
there is always a question on the efficacy of vaccines given.  if your pup got more than one series of shots from a vet then i think Paris will be fine.  how old was she for her last set of shots?  not to knock breeders but i know many vets who dont trust vaccines given by breeders.  and will repeat them just to be on the safe side.  some breeders get cheaper vaccines, or may not handle vaccines properly that will make them ineffective.  im sure there are many breeders who do everything right.  just saying there are some out there.  it sounded like tucker was eating other dogs poop...which really increases his chances.  to get parvo the dog has to ingest the infected poop.  sure the amount can be as small as a pin point.  but if the vaccines are handled properly and your pup recieved multiple series until the appropriate age, then she should be fine.  especially if ur friend will be changing their clothes, there is really not a high chance of her bringing parvo into ur house.  of course this is just my opinion..you can always discuss this with your vet and see if they have any concerns.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=88462
[/QUOTE]

I pm'ed you all the info.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts