Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wasn't ready to post this before...but now I am ready, so please read this very important post.

My husband's cousin was killed on November 2, 2010 at approximately 5:45 in the evening here in Paradise Valley, Arizona. He was an amazing plastic surgeon for over 30 years and was well known here. He was a father of two grown children, one who just got married at his house last Saturday night. It was bittersweet. He was about to be a grandfather. He was married to a wonderful gal, his second marriage of 12 years. They had an incredible life together and they were the ideal couple, so in love and one another's best friend. Everyone always commented on how happy they always looked together. They never did anything apart..even grocery shopping. The exercised together and kept each other fit and healthy so they can enjoy old age together. He was 62 at the time of his death.

On Nov. 2nd. he went walking in his area. He lived on Camelback Mtn. He's done this walk a million times. But that fatal night, he was walking back toward his home, nearly a half mile from his house when a car struck him after coliding with another car. His dear,sweet wife was coming home from work when she saw the accident and was diverted around it to her house. It was when she walked into the house that she got that sense...that eery feeling something was wrong. She got back in her car and drove down to the incident where she saw her beautiful husband lying in the street, policemen all standing around. They took him by ambulance, but he never made it to the hosipital. A young man, 25, was responsible for this horrible tragedy.

It's been over a month and his wife is having a terrible time. She's in a big house all by herself.

This is where I need your help. She is looking for a dog. She doesn't want a small dog, more medium sized. She asked me about the King Charles Spaniel. I told her I would help her find the perfect dog. Does anyone know of a good breeder of King Charles Spaniels, or a good breeder of a medium sized dog that doesn't shed? She wants one for companionship ofcourse, but also one that would alert her of anything, being alone in a house on a mountain with all glass in the front is scary being by yourself.

I know I can count on you to help me with this. Thank you.

·
Registered
10,743 Posts
OMG how tragic. My friend lost her husband to an aneurysm,he was ther,then gone just like that.I have a friend who has Cavaleirs and cockers, I'll email her. I know she got a couple of hers out of the US though.

When I had my accident,workes comin gon on shift told him there was a huge accident and a semi was blocking the road so only the ambulance could get in...traffic leaving had to divert out the back drive of the factory to go home. workers saw him go that way.
The state patrol came in to look for him and caught up w/ him and told him it was me. If he'd gone that way,he might have realized it was me,even thought the car was almost unrecognizable.

You just never know do you?

·
Registered
6,246 Posts
I suggest that beside King Cavs you look into Bichons and Miniature Poodles, and Havanese. All are medium sized and don't shed. I don't know of any breeders, just wanted to give you some input. I wish you the best. My sympathies are with her, you and the family. So sorry for your loss.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I second the Havanese, I have a good friend who's adopted two of them and they're just the sweetest! I think the boy is 8lbs at full size so he's smaller than most Havanese I've seen but I know they can grow larger at their adult size. Boy, I wish I knew more and could help, I got tears in my eyes reading about the loss in your family :(

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
Im so so sorry thats just terrile. I dont have any advice . I was thinking maybe a lab?

·
Premium Member
Sandi-- w/Kitzel (Kitzi) & Lisel (Lisi)
17,980 Posts
Cavilers are having some neurological issues surfacing as well---might want to investigate other breeds.
So sorry for your cousin----no words convey the kind of grief she is facing.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Oh no, that is so terrible. I am so sorry... :( I do hope she can find a dog to help ease the pain. Just like Paula's post...you just never know when your last breath will be. :crying:

·
Premium Member
24,028 Posts
I was in tears reading your post. How very sad. It just takes a minute for something like that to have lifelong repercussions. :smcry:
I would say Havanese too. My neighbor has one and she's very lovable, sociable, smart and sturdy. It would be great if she could get a rescue -- kind of makes me think that having her DH's life taken, she could now give life back to another living being. But is she wants to go the breeder route, make sure she checks out who she gets it from since my neighbor insisted on a breeder who was a BYB (despite all my educating her) and the dog has a really bad underbite. I think she realizes now what I was saying. :smilie_tischkante:

·
Registered
598 Posts
I'm so sorry to hear about such a tragic death. My parents used to have a Cavalier King Charles and she was very,very sweet- but she shed a ton!! If she wants a non shedding breed I wouldn't recommend a Cavalier.

I own a Havanese and would HIGHLY recommend this breed. They are so very loving and devoted to their owner-yet playful and fun. I recommended one to my Mom also and she is smitten with the breed,too.She is now totally devoted to Brandy!! I am very active in the Havanese community and know many good breeders if you are interested. Just PM me if you want more info. One breeder in Utah I know has just had a litter and she has emailed me pictures (I think they are about 2 weeks old now and are adorable), but they won't be ready to go for a little while. There was a great breeder in Arizona who just moved to Florida,but I'm sure there are others,too.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
I'm so sorry to hear this :(
My condolences to you and your family.
I hope she will find a lovely companion to help her heal. Besides getting a dog, has she considered moving into a smaller place or to a more populated area? Just thought she might appreciate a change of scenery.

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
What a terrible tragedy. I am so, so sorry for your family's loss.

I agree with Eileen on the Petfinder suggestion. Regarding dog breeds, I think the suggestions thus far have been great. I was going to suggest cocker spaniels too but they do shed.

·
Registered
5,433 Posts
What a tragical story :( how terribly sad.

I also think the Bichon or Havanese a good choice for a non shedder. Maybe the Coton too. I think the King Charles sheds doesn't it? along with the other issues.

·
Premium Member
6,469 Posts
I am very sorry for the loss in your family, it certainly reminds you how life can change in an instant. As far as a breeder suggestion, I don't have one for you. But, my brother has 2 KCC and all I can say is that they do shed! His female sheds much more than the male but he is one year younger. If she needs a non-shedding or minimal shedding I might suggest a bichon. They can be about 20 pounds and they are minimal to non-shedders.

·
Premium Member
17,343 Posts
Dianne -- I'm so very sorry to hear about this. What a tragedy. My heart goes out to the family and know exactly where the accident happened.

As far as dogs go, I know tons of show breeders in the Phoenix area. Is she certain that wants a King Charles? What about a Lhasa or a Shih Tzu or even a Tibetan Terrier?

Let me know and I'll pm you with names and numbers.

Prayers for the entire family.

·
Premium Member
8,543 Posts
Diane I think I read about this in the newspaper. So sad.

This is where I need your help. She is looking for a dog. She doesn't want a small dog, more medium sized. She asked me about the King Charles Spaniel. I told her I would help her find the perfect dog. Does anyone know of a good breeder of King Charles Spaniels, or a good breeder of a medium sized dog that doesn't shed? She wants one for companionship ofcourse, but also one that would alert her of anything, being alone in a house on a mountain with all glass in the front is scary being by yourself.
It depends what she wants the dog for. If it is only to alert her it really does not depend on the size. A small one can alert as much as a medium sized one or even a big one. [my niece had a bigger one who did not sound an alarm when some one came in the kitchen and stole her purse, she was up stairs with the dog]. All big dogs are shedding and she would have to be able to control the dog and give him enough exercise and that is not an easy task if the dog weighs 80 or more pounds. You need to make a list of the non shedding dogs, go from there and read about the temperament of each of them. Even so, it's not a sure thing. Our late lhasa was a good watch dog. The only time he barked was when there was something wrong. Alex barks at anything strange outside, tho if you pay attention you can make the difference if he is barking at somebody passing (or birds) or somebody coming to the door. My daughter shi tzu was like my lhasa, only barked for a reason. You have the choice between a lot of no shedding dogs : havanese, lhasa, shi tzu, poodles, bichon, maltese. If it is only for alert, I would not look only at the size. You know small dogs can be as feisty as big dogs if not more sometimes.

·
Registered
10,743 Posts
Amber doesn't shed really bad ,not much at all since I keep her clipped on top and brush out the legs a couple times per week. My step son's german shepherd mix sheds tons! Our dalmatian did too!
I'd say bichon too or havanese.
My friend got her Cav outside the US due to the line breeding and health issues.

Presonally I would look into pet finder,it's a good deed and a home for a fluff of her choice...a fluff of any breed.

It's not about the money one can afford to spend on a dog but how far that money can go to help many dogs...

1 - 20 of 64 Posts