Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We're having our bathroom redone. We planned it before my husband got sick and we had all of the things (shower stall, vanity, etc.) ordered so we had to go through with it, even though the timing, in my opinion, stinks. The salesman who helped us pick out all of the fixtures told us that he and his (adult) son would install everything for us if we had nobody else in mind and we agreed. When Steve got sick, we told them that we would have to wait a while and they were fine with it. After Steve got home, he called them and told them that we were ready for the work to begin and they said that they would call us in a week or so to let us know when they would start.

Well, a few days later, I was sitting in the dining room having a cup of coffee at 9AM and the doorbell rang. They were here, without notice, to begin ripping the bathroom apart. I had 5 minutes to empty the shelves and the medicine cabinet, etc. Luckily, it's my daughter's bathroom and there wasn't a lot in there. Okay... so not a great start, right? I made it very clear to them that I was not happy and told them point blank that I needed to know in advance when they were coming each day. Well.... since then they tell me they'll be here at 9AM and show up at noon or they stop by to pick something up and then leave..... they don't seem to care about inconveniencing us at all....:smilie_tischkante::smilie_tischkante:

In the meantime, I am trying to remain outwardly calm because I don't want to stress out my husband, who just had a triple bypass.... and let me tell you.... I am a stressed out mess :smpullhair::smpullhair:. Well anyway, they told us that they would be over around 2 PM today and they would stay until around 6 PM .... and by 5:30 PM they weren't here.... so we went to run a few errands and they showed up. :angry::angry: My daughters were here, but we told them not to answer the door.

They're very nice and they're doing a beautiful job... but I would never recommend them to anyone because they are driving me crazy!!! So... am I being unreasonable because I want to know when and if they're coming each day so that I don't have to sit here waiting and wondering?

Thanks for letting me vent.... sorry it was such a long post. :blink::blink:

Hugs,
Debbie

·
Banned
1,869 Posts
Debbie,

I don't care how "nice" they are - they are NOT respectful of your time or your privacy at all. That is rude and unprofessional not to telephone you to let you know when they are arriving.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Debbie, I feel for you and would be just as frustrated. I have a friend who recently bought a "fixer upper" house, had everybody lined up, all materials ordered, everything all set. The one thing she never planned on was that the carpenter doing the gutting, windows, sheetrock, subflooring, roofing, etc., worked on his own timeclock without regard to any agreed upon plans. And because his work didn't get done on schedule, the electrician, plumber and flooring guy all had to get pushed back and rescheduled. I keep hearing that everyone is starving for work. If that's really the case then why aren't they showing up, getting the job done and moving on? I feel your pain.

·
Premium Member
2,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Debbie, I feel for you and would be just as frustrated. I have a friend who recently bought a "fixer upper" house, had everybody lined up, all materials ordered, everything all set. The one thing she never planned on was that the carpenter doing the gutting, windows, sheetrock, subflooring, roofing, etc., worked on his own timeclock without regard to any agreed upon plans. And because his work didn't get done on schedule, the electrician, plumber and flooring guy all had to get pushed back and rescheduled. I keep hearing that everyone is starving for work. If that's really the case then why aren't they showing up, getting the job done and moving on? I feel your pain.

You know, Mary, that's just what I was thinking, I thought they needed the work and would be happy to get the job... but apparently I was wrong. Thanks for the sympathy.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
No, you are not being unreasonable. DH is a contractor, he would never bethat unprofessional. He relies on referrals from happy customers for future work. If he says he will be there at 8, you better be ready, he will be there.

I do hope you haven't paid these guys fully in advance? I wouldn't pay them in full untill the work is finished to your satisfaction. A partial payment to cover their materials is ok. That also helps encourage them to finish in a timely manner so they get full payment.

·
Membership Suspended
2,839 Posts
Did you check to see if they have an active business license, and insurance before you hired them? I hope you didn't pay them up front for the labor. If they are doing this, are they cutting cornors too? Are they acting as the plumber and electrician too. If they are it's not legal in most areas. You may need Holms...

·
Premium Member
2,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No, you are not being unreasonable. DH is a contractor, he would never bethat unprofessional. He relies on referrals from happy customers for future work. If he says he will be there at 8, you better be ready, he will be there.

I do hope you haven't paid these guys fully in advance? I wouldn't pay them in full untill the work is finished to your satisfaction. A partial payment to cover their materials is ok. That also helps encourage them to finish in a timely manner so they get full payment.
Thank God we only gave them a partial payment... but the money doesn't seem to be spurring them on. I just hope they'll be finished by Christmas.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I don't think you are being unreasonable at all! I would be highly aggravated if I sat around all afternoon waiting for someone who didn't show! I would also tell them how aggravating it is. People are really becoming more and more like this now days. They don't worry about making the client happy, they just do things their way on their own time. I had my bathroom redone about three years ago, and the carpenter was the same, but he did a horrible job. I tell everyone who aks me about renovations what a horrible job he did. Maybe now he will be inclined to treat his next client with more respect and do a better job.

·
Premium Member
2,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Did you check to see if they have an active business license, and insurance before you hired them? I hope you didn't pay them up front for the labor. If they are doing this, are they cutting cornors too? Are they acting as the plumber and electrician too. If they are it's not legal in most areas. You may need Holms...
Marsha,

They're legit. They aren't moving any plumbing and they told us that if they do need a plumber, they'll call one. An electrician has already been here to check things out, too. And they're definitely not cutting corners.... the opposite in fact.... they're perfectionists... which I guess is good... but it's also contributing to their slow pace. :blink:

·
Premium Member
8,543 Posts
[/B]

You know, Mary, that's just what I was thinking, I thought they needed the work and would be happy to get the job... but apparently I was wrong. Thanks for the sympathy.
You are not being unreasonable. So far we have always been lucky. If somebody is not recommended we always check with the BBB to see if there are complains. Never pay in full. Some of them not even asked for a downmpayment. I don't know what those people are thinking. If the customer is not satisfied he is not going to recommend them. And the best advertising is word of mouth.

·
Premium Member
17,343 Posts
Debbie -- I'm sorry to say that I find this to be the case more and more with workers today. And no, I'm not "bashing" the construction industry -- I find this to be true in most industries. I think overall, a lot of people are simply not respectful of other people's time or needs.

I'm sorry that you're having to go through it with everything else that's on your plate. I know it would stress me out, and I truly understand the calm exterior that you need to portray to your DH.

How is he doing? I'm praying this he is recovering well.

Hugs to you, gf. Sending prayers your way.

·
Premium Member
24,019 Posts
Debbie - been there, had that happen. :w00t: We renovated our apartment in NYC in 2006 and we were blessed by the best contractors I've ever heard of...8 weeks to do a whole new kitchen, including taking down a wall (NYC permits- big nightmare), new master bath, apartment painted and skim-coating of ceilings, floors sanded and finished, lots of other stuff, etc. They did it all in exactly the timeframe. And we're in NYC where people have really had horror stories. So that was a good one.
Flip the calendar to the year before last -- putting siding on our house in Vermont. Promised 4 weeks, took them 4 months. They were very fast ripping things out but then were constantly no show when it came to doing the real work. We were barely up there and our neighbors said they just wouldn't show up. At least you're on site. Most of my friends have had nightmares (and apologies to anyone married to an ethical contractor) but I think the problem is that they take on as many jobs as they can and then they do them all simultaneously, thus the varied show up times. They're often finishing up somewhere else or doing one part of things at house A, another at B and yet another at C. The firm I used had plenty of people hired so that didn't happen. If your guy is still working selling the fixtures, etc then he must be at work part of the time too. I think that you have to play up Steve's bypass a lot...like you've spoken to the doctor and the stress isn't good for him. Anything to try to make them move it forward. See if he has anyone else he can use to help finish it. I'm sorry this is happening to you but it's kind of the renovation horror. All worth it in the end but brutal to get through.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts