Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
61 - 67 of 67 Posts
Discussion starter · #61 ·
Oh believe me, that thought immediatly came to mind. I did e-mail Shitzu and Furbaby rescue, as I am hoping to get both out, and am trying a couple of other things, but won't rest till it's a happy ending and soon. Hubby heard me on the phone with them and couldn't believe it either. He's upset too. He's upset for both of them. He hates that they are being split up. Thank you all so much will keep you posted. Keep the prayers coming.

Christine, I haven't had a chance to thoroughly read all comments. But here is my take on it.

I can't see how the meeting between Mia, Leo and Tony should play in to this at all. Tony had surgery very recently, so he probably wasn't himself. And being in a situation where there are two strange adults and two strange Malts in close proximity is bound to have been intimidating to him.

If you want to add a third Malt to your family then do it for you and your DH. Mia and Leo may or may not bond with him. There is no way whatsoever to guarantee it. Even if they would have had a blast playing at the shelter, it will likely be different once Tony is in your home and Mia and Leo realize he is staying.

Since Mia and Leo are so strongly bonded they may not let another Malt in to their little group. Or maybe they will .. but it might take weeks or months or never ... or maybe days. There is no way to know how it will play out.

If you are in the situation where you want to provide a little Malt with a loving home, then I don't see a reason not to let that Malt be Tony. If you don't want a third, then that is one thing but if you do . . . T O N Y!

Christine,

Is there still available?

I was reading about the introduction to your three dogs. Having seen "new dog / foster dog" introductions many times over the years I feel that you can not base a lot on initial reaction. Things change considerably once everyone has a chance to get to know each other better.

Here is an example: my precious darling Cameo. When she first met my boys Cloud and Clouseau (who were very gentle with her) she ran away from them trying sniff her and even cowered a little bit. I could understand it. They were almost 3 times her size. (She was a 3 pound dog, and they were both 8+). We introduced them at a little neutral rest area after I picked her up from her owner. LOL, that was the LAST time she ever showed fear in their presence. She became the little QUEEN bossing the boys around at every opportunity. She was rarely scared of anything. (It was what made her such a good therapy dog). But that day, she had just been handed off to human strangers and had dogs she didn't know trying to sniff her. Clearly it was a lot to take in.

Your dogs and Tony were probably all a little nervous, wondering what was up. And I imagine you were nervous as well, because of your excitement, and sending them signals.

Discussion starter · #66 ·
I agree with all that you are saying. Beleive me, Tony is a LOVEABLE little guy and yes, I was so nervous, because of the environment Mia and Leo were in, I didn't put them down on the ground anywhere near the shelter, for health reasons.

Truth is, we weren't looking to add a 3rd just now, but I do keep my eye out for babies that need help, whether to doante or in a shelter.

I strictly went to see him, to ask them about fostering him to a rescue.

I do realize it will take a long time for all to settle down. If we got Tony that night, I would have been home 5 days straight with all 3 of them. I know that's still enough time, but they would have got my 100% focus. But then I work 3 days a week and one day at home.

My main goal was to get him a home and then hearing about the peak :(

And then I get an e-mail, from a rescue, that I have contributed to before, about these two as a favorite breed alert.

Breed Matches

But at least these two are in foster care.

We are still taking care of MIL, everyday, so the timing wasn't perfect, but we just had to see if we could help him out, but my heart broke instantly for Tony, and loved him immedialtely.

I know it could work, I have no doubt, but seriously was not looking to add a 3rd Malt right now. We just do what we can to help, when we can.

Mia and Leo, really weren't nervous. The liked the little guy. The shelter lady said it could take anywhere to two weeks, to two months for the transition.

Mia and Leo do share a bond, that's for sure, but for some reason are open to other furbabies, same size or smaller.

I just fell in love with the little boy, feeling so bad for him, and yes, he is still available with no pending applications :(

I have reached out to several foster organizations, me head and my heart are spinning.

Hubby is reluctant, but he loves furbabies, but he is concerned about Mia and Leo, which is understandable.

I have to tell you, I am so use to having 2, it was a little juggling having 3, but I know in time that would pass.

With all my heart I am going to stay on top of this.

Thank you all so much, and I hope I am not being a pain, but I really appeciate all the support and great advice.

Much love.

Discussion starter · #67 ·
Update: :):):):)

UPDATE: TAKE A PEAK OUR TONI aka as Hansel has been ADOPTED. THANK YOU GOD!!

http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/17375378 My heart is jumping out of my body!!!!

Not sure about Gretel yet, I have to check on her, but THANK YOU GOD and all of you for all of your advice and for being there.

Little Toni is ADOPTED!!!!!!!!

HI everyone,

I will try and keep this short. I routinely check on-line for the local shelters to see if there are any Maltese. I never see any. My sole purpose in doing that, is to alert the local small dog resuces.

Anyway, a shelter near me, has the most precious little malt boy, Hanzel (will not be called that, as he does not know his name. If things go okay, his name will be Tony.

So I sent an email over the weekend to one of the small dog rescues, but not sure they monitor their emails over the weekend. So Saturday, hubby and I go to see the little guy, with the intention of asking them if they could contact one of the local small breed rescue organizations. Well, they only do it for puppies :(.

Okay, so inside, I freaked. Met with little Toni. When I tell you an amazing temperment, and the picture of him, does not do him justice, and I will tell you more about his temperment later. But it is amazing. He gave me belly. We have enough love, all the little boy will need, extra, and can't stomach him (or really any of the babies) in the shelter.

So tonight hubby and I are going to bring Mia and Leo for a meet and greet outside away from the shelter. Of course, it is important to us that all 3 would be able to adjust well.

Here's where my heart is breaking and I didn't just find this out until now.

You will see in the link Tony, with a little Peakanese, who was just spayed. I knew Toni was surrenedered to the city SPCA, and they sent Tony to the shelter near me, because it is a no kill shelter.

Well, here when I call back today, both Tony and the little Peak, were surrenedered by the same owner :(:(:(:( and I would be splitting those two up. I had said, gosh, I wish I could take her too, to myself before I knew this, but, first, I think briniging in one new baby in, will be at times challening enough. Plus, I am allergic to many breeds not the Maltese.

I said to the lady at the shelter, OMG, I will be breaking them up :(. She said look at it this way, at least Toni, will no longer be in a shelter.

I guesstamate his age, 3 maybe 4. As I said, I will tell you more about his incredible temperment, later, my main concern now, is how heartbreaking will it be for the female peak :(. I know Toni, will be okay, he was fine with us, and we will be meeting him again tonight, plus if all goes well he will have Mia and Leo.

Oh Gosh, is this a terrible thing to do? But I hate the fact that Toni is in the shelter, and boy did we bond. I was able to check all his teeth (he will need a dental) he let me no problem, checked his ears, everything, no problem from him.

Of course, all of this is contingent on Mia and Leo's reaction as well as Toni's.

What do you think? Is it terrible to take Tony away from the Peak.

Any and all advice is more then welcome. Tony is a little guy, maybe 5 pounds, and clearly has the Maltese strut going on. The link says he is a mix, but in person, he clearly looks all Malt.

But that does not matter. Just want to know what you guys think.

I think if all goes well with Mia and Leo and Tony, tonight, to bring him home. He was just neutuered yesterday. But what about the poor little Peak.

Forgive all my misspellings, trying to get this out to all of you as soon as I could.

Here is the link:
Adoptable Maltese: Hanzel: Petfinder

Update: First, I can not thank all of you enough, from the bottom of my heart. I have great news about Tony, but not for me. The meet and greet went, I think really well. Gosh, what a scarey thing though, because you want to do best by all 3.

I have to say, Leo and Mia did really well. I think while waiting, for them to bring Tony out to the special area they have for meet and greets, they were a little confused.

The lady Kathy, at the shelter was wonderful. I love Tony dearly. First we put Leo with Tony, and they did very well. Then Kathy said it was okay to add Mia, and the 3 of them did do well. No barking or upset by any 3 of them. I did notice however, that as time was passing, Tony seemed to not be as happy, or was somewhat hesitant if either Mia and Leo would approach him. And trust me, both Mia and Leo, were very gentle with him. I think Tony is an older baby, although they say he may be 2 or 3, I got the sense that Tony was older, which is fine, but after awhile didn't seem as acceptable to Mia and Leo. I tell you what, the 3 of them together were adorable. I had alot to think about. Like Sher said, and it's very true, meet and greets won't show the whole picture till the new one comes home and time has past.

Actually hubby was very concerned and that weighed alot on my descion, as well as seeing some reluctancy or hesitation from sweet Tony, with Mia and Leo. But that could very well have been the little guy just got neutured yesterday. You have no idea how much I love him.

I talked alot with the shelter rep, Kathy, and she did let me know, that another family desperately wants Tony (they aren't going to call him Tony, but they are changing his name as well). I asked if they were a loving good home (I felt funny asking that, but just couldn't help myself), She said they absolutely are. So the great news is Tony is going home to a loving family, probably tommorow. That was my initial goal to begin with.

I am broken hearted not to have the little guy. Oh, he even answers to Tony :). He came right to me, every time I called him Tony. I would say, Tony, come to Mommy, and here he comes, but guess who else came running, Leo. If I was holding Tony, Leo wanted Mommy. But I do teach both Mia and Leo to share and did during this session as well.

Hubby took a couple of pics with his camera phone, here they are:

This one actually floored me. Leo, always has to have top bunk, but after I reminded him to share Mommy, he was very comfortable with Tony having the top bunk. That's Tony on top, with Leo in my arms, and poor sweet Mia on the side.

View attachment 89486

The sunglare was terrible, but here is another picture of the dynamic trio :wub: Look at little Tony giving sniffies to Mia.

View attachment 89487

I guess the best news is that Tony is going to a loving home, but selfishly I am so sad that it's not my home, but I really am happy for him. He deserves it.

Mia and Leo were absolutely fine with him, I think they knew he had a boo boo, from his neuter operation. But they were gentle and loving and for that I am glad. Tony was a good boy too, a very good boy. I asked the shelter rep, how she thought it went, and she was just tickled with it, and were laughing at the 3 of them, and alot of awwwws.

I really had to think of all 3 and when I saw towards the end, that Tony seemed to start to be a little reluctant, just a little with either Mia and Leo, I had to think long and hard. Tony would come right to me though. A part of me feels as though I let the little guy down, but thank the heavens a loving home awaits him, who desperatly wants him.

Bless sweet Tony and the new family who will be adopting him and thank you all so much for being there, for your support and incredible advice.

It is heartbreaking not to have the little guy here with me right now,
but I did have so much to consider and ultimately wanted to do what was best for Mia, Leo and Tony.

I love him dearly and just pray I did the right thing. It helps knowing there is a loving home waiting. But still feel such a loss as I loved him instantly and honestly he answered to Tony :(.

Now it's a matter of seeing if somehow a foster home can get the Peak out.

Thank you all so much again for being there. My original goal was to get the little guy out, and that is going to happen, just didn't realize how fast you fall in love with these special ones.

Much love,
Christine

61 - 67 of 67 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.