Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

I really need your advice ASAP if possible

5K views 66 replies 29 participants last post by  allheart 
#1 · (Edited)
HI everyone,

I will try and keep this short. I routinely check on-line for the local shelters to see if there are any Maltese. I never see any. My sole purpose in doing that, is to alert the local small dog resuces.

Anyway, a shelter near me, has the most precious little malt boy, Hanzel (will not be called that, as he does not know his name. If things go okay, his name will be Tony.

So I sent an email over the weekend to one of the small dog rescues, but not sure they monitor their emails over the weekend. So Saturday, hubby and I go to see the little guy, with the intention of asking them if they could contact one of the local small breed rescue organizations. Well, they only do it for puppies :(.

Okay, so inside, I freaked. Met with little Toni. When I tell you an amazing temperment, and the picture of him, does not do him justice, and I will tell you more about his temperment later. But it is amazing. He gave me belly. We have enough love, all the little boy will need, extra, and can't stomach him (or really any of the babies) in the shelter.

So tonight hubby and I are going to bring Mia and Leo for a meet and greet outside away from the shelter. Of course, it is important to us that all 3 would be able to adjust well.

Here's where my heart is breaking and I didn't just find this out until now.

You will see in the link Tony, with a little Peakanese, who was just spayed. I knew Toni was surrenedered to the city SPCA, and they sent Tony to the shelter near me, because it is a no kill shelter.

Well, here when I call back today, both Tony and the little Peak, were surrenedered by the same owner :(:(:(:( and I would be splitting those two up. I had said, gosh, I wish I could take her too, to myself before I knew this, but, first, I think briniging in one new baby in, will be at times challening enough. Plus, I am allergic to many breeds not the Maltese.

I said to the lady at the shelter, OMG, I will be breaking them up :(. She said look at it this way, at least Toni, will no longer be in a shelter.

I guesstamate his age, 3 maybe 4. As I said, I will tell you more about his incredible temperment, later, my main concern now, is how heartbreaking will it be for the female peak :(. I know Toni, will be okay, he was fine with us, and we will be meeting him again tonight, plus if all goes well he will have Mia and Leo.

Oh Gosh, is this a terrible thing to do? But I hate the fact that Toni is in the shelter, and boy did we bond. I was able to check all his teeth (he will need a dental) he let me no problem, checked his ears, everything, no problem from him.

Of course, all of this is contingent on Mia and Leo's reaction as well as Toni's.

What do you think? Is it terrible to take Tony away from the Peak.

Any and all advice is more then welcome. Tony is a little guy, maybe 5 pounds, and clearly has the Maltese strut going on. The link says he is a mix, but in person, he clearly looks all Malt.

But that does not matter. Just want to know what you guys think.

I think if all goes well with Mia and Leo and Tony, tonight, to bring him home. He was just neutuered yesterday. But what about the poor little Peak.

Forgive all my misspellings, trying to get this out to all of you as soon as I could.

Here is the link:
Adoptable Maltese: Hanzel: Petfinder

Update: First, I can not thank all of you enough, from the bottom of my heart. I have great news about Tony, but not for me. The meet and greet went, I think really well. Gosh, what a scarey thing though, because you want to do best by all 3.

I have to say, Leo and Mia did really well. I think while waiting, for them to bring Tony out to the special area they have for meet and greets, they were a little confused.

The lady Kathy, at the shelter was wonderful. I love Tony dearly. First we put Leo with Tony, and they did very well. Then Kathy said it was okay to add Mia, and the 3 of them did do well. No barking or upset by any 3 of them. I did notice however, that as time was passing, Tony seemed to not be as happy, or was somewhat hesitant if either Mia and Leo would approach him. And trust me, both Mia and Leo, were very gentle with him. I think Tony is an older baby, although they say he may be 2 or 3, I got the sense that Tony was older, which is fine, but after awhile didn't seem as acceptable to Mia and Leo. I tell you what, the 3 of them together were adorable. I had alot to think about. Like Sher said, and it's very true, meet and greets won't show the whole picture till the new one comes home and time has past.

Actually hubby was very concerned and that weighed alot on my descion, as well as seeing some reluctancy or hesitation from sweet Tony, with Mia and Leo. But that could very well have been the little guy just got neutured yesterday. You have no idea how much I love him.

I talked alot with the shelter rep, Kathy, and she did let me know, that another family desperately wants Tony (they aren't going to call him Tony, but they are changing his name as well). I asked if they were a loving good home (I felt funny asking that, but just couldn't help myself), She said they absolutely are. So the great news is Tony is going home to a loving family, probably tommorow. That was my initial goal to begin with.

I am broken hearted not to have the little guy. Oh, he even answers to Tony :). He came right to me, every time I called him Tony. I would say, Tony, come to Mommy, and here he comes, but guess who else came running, Leo. If I was holding Tony, Leo wanted Mommy. But I do teach both Mia and Leo to share and did during this session as well.

Hubby took a couple of pics with his camera phone, here they are:

This one actually floored me. Leo, always has to have top bunk, but after I reminded him to share Mommy, he was very comfortable with Tony having the top bunk. That's Tony on top, with Leo in my arms, and poor sweet Mia on the side.

View attachment 89486

The sunglare was terrible, but here is another picture of the dynamic trio :wub: Look at little Tony giving sniffies to Mia.

View attachment 89487

I guess the best news is that Tony is going to a loving home, but selfishly I am so sad that it's not my home, but I really am happy for him. He deserves it.

Mia and Leo were absolutely fine with him, I think they knew he had a boo boo, from his neuter operation. But they were gentle and loving and for that I am glad. Tony was a good boy too, a very good boy. I asked the shelter rep, how she thought it went, and she was just tickled with it, and were laughing at the 3 of them, and alot of awwwws.

I really had to think of all 3 and when I saw towards the end, that Tony seemed to start to be a little reluctant, just a little with either Mia and Leo, I had to think long and hard. Tony would come right to me though. A part of me feels as though I let the little guy down, but thank the heavens a loving home awaits him, who desperatly wants him.

Bless sweet Tony and the new family who will be adopting him and thank you all so much for being there, for your support and incredible advice.

It is heartbreaking not to have the little guy here with me right now,
but I did have so much to consider and ultimately wanted to do what was best for Mia, Leo and Tony.

I love him dearly and just pray I did the right thing. It helps knowing there is a loving home waiting. But still feel such a loss as I loved him instantly and honestly he answered to Tony :(.

Now it's a matter of seeing if somehow a foster home can get the Peak out.

Thank you all so much again for being there. My original goal was to get the little guy out, and that is going to happen, just didn't realize how fast you fall in love with these special ones.

Much love,
Christine

See less See more
#2 ·
The peak is adorable too!!! Oh, I understand your problem. I am so sorry you are going through this. He will be so alone when Tony leaves. Don't you need 4 instead of 3????? I am sorry Christine, they should have told you immediately. Please let us know what you decide...........:wub:

#4 ·
You sound like you are madly, over the moon in love with Tony.:wub: I really have had no first hand experience with rescues so I might be totally wrong and off base but here goes. I don't know how you can't take him (unless Mia and Leo) have real issues. It sounds to me like the shelter would let them be broken up anyway even if you don't take him. I know the optimum would be them going together but think that getting two rescues in addition to your two fluffs and your allergies might be overwhelming. I hate the thought of a dog staying one night more than they need to be in a shelter so I would say get him. Could you work on trying to get the Peak into a rescue? I know there is shih tzu and small dog rescue in the northeast that is quite good. I nearly adopted from them. I can find their link if you would like. Good luck and hope others chime in. And thanks so much for doing this...he looks so cute and happy.

#6 ·
You sound like you are madly, over the moon in love with Tony.:wub: I really have had no first hand experience with rescues so I might be totally wrong and off base but here goes. I don't know how you can't take him (unless Mia and Leo) have real issues. It sounds to me like the shelter would let them be broken up anyway even if you don't take him. I know the optimum would be them going together but think that getting two rescues in addition to your two fluffs and your allergies might be overwhelming. I hate the thought of a dog staying one night more than they need to be in a shelter so I would say get him. Could you work on trying to get the Peak into a rescue? I know there is shih tzu and small dog rescue in the northeast that is quite good. I nearly adopted from them. I can find their link if you would like. Good luck and hope others chime in. And thanks so much for doing this...he looks so cute and happy.
Thank you so much!!! No, I know I can't adopt both not only will it take high focus, with just 1 little new one, plus the allergies.

But that is a good idea about calling another resuce.

The shelter said they only foster out puppies :(:(:(:(

Toni's neuter went well and he doesn't have one of those gosh awful cones on, because he is not licking his stiches, because he is a good boy :wub:

That's all I kept telling little Tony how much Mommy loves him.

Thank you so much for your advice. Much love.

#8 ·
First I wonder how long the peak and Hanzel have been together. It will be hard on both but more so for the peak if he is not adopted right away. I look at it this way, at least your saving one from the shelter. Just so
you know having 4 is not bad. When I got Chloe she was my third which
I never thought I would have 3 dogs. When I saw Libby was up for adoption in comes the 4th. Libby is older and was an only dog so she is
very reserved so other then vet/grooming bill it's was no big deal.

#9 ·
First I wonder how long the peak and Hanzel have been together. It will be hard on both but more so for the peak if he is not adopted right away. I look at it this way, at least your saving one from the shelter. Just so
you know having 4 is not bad. When I got Chloe she was my third which
I never thought I would have 3 dogs. When I saw Libby was up for adoption in comes the 4th. Libby is older and was an only dog so she is
very reserved so other then vet/grooming bill it's was no big deal.
Thank you so much. You know I just thought, If I don't take Tony, someone could come in, take the Peak, and then Tony is alone:(.

I'm sure 4 isn't bad, but I'm allergic to most breeds.

Thank you again.

#11 ·
Christina, I just wanted to say that I hope you do get little Toni. I would think they'll end up being separate anyway. Most people looking to adopt are really only looking for one so if you don't take this little guy someone else will and who knows, maybe someone would have been looking for a peke and then Toni would end up being alone in the shelter. Its so hard to take one and not the other but its just not practical for most people. My heart breaks for the pup left behind but I'll be thrilled for Toni when I hear you have him in his new home. I hope whatever you decide it works out for everyone. Bless your heart for checking rescue and trying to help! Let us know what you do.
hugs!

#15 ·
:wub:Christina - Here's the link to the rescue I mentioned. I think someone on SM got their fluff from them too. They only do small breed rescue: Welcome to Shih Tzus & Furbabies, Shih Tzu & Furbaby Rescue is dedicated to rescue, rehabilitaton and rehoming of toy breed dogs OMG I just saw Jasper on their website - a male Maltese.

Thank you so much for that link. I wonder if the shelter will foster them out, when I gave them a small dog rescue, like 15 minutes away and they told me they don't :( But I will give those folks a call that you linked.

I just keep praying that I do right by all.

#16 ·
Thank you. He really is a doll. It just shocked me just hearing they were surrendered together.

Maybe I just am over fretting, but I felt so bad when I heard. I even felt bad for only taking little Toni out.

Oh Mia and Leo, help Mommy out :wub:

Thank you all so much.

#17 ·
OOO WOW , TONY IS ADORABLE .. i agree with everyone , get him , it was ove at first sight after all , hopefully the other fluff gets adopted too , its very rare that someone would adopt tooo , do what your heart tells u , good luck .. tony is adorable .

#19 ·
OOO WOW , TONY IS ADORABLE .. i agree with everyone , get him , it was ove at first sight after all , hopefully the other fluff gets adopted too , its very rare that someone would adopt tooo , do what your heart tells u , good luck .. tony is adorable .

Bless you and thank you so much. I'm starting to calm down, thanks to all of you. Hubby is upset about breaking them up, but we will just have to sit with the shelter folks and see how the meet and greet goes.

I know my Mia, and I'm more then sure she will be okay. She is very neuturing. Leo, loves other furbabies, same size or smaller, but they all have been girls, not that it may matter, so alot to consider.

Thank you all so much.

#21 ·
So many times we took in Maltese pairs that owners said could not be split up. We always kept them together, but honestly of the many pairs we fostered, I would say 8 in 10, were not as bonded as we were led to believe. I have seen some that truly could not be without each other, but in many cases, I believe that most of them just wanted another canine around. It would be hard to tell without meeting this pair, but from what you describe Tony sounds like the kind of pup that would make an excellent adjustment.

I am excited for you. Tony sounds just darling. :)

Hopefully, you can help steer a small dog rescue toward this Peke and they can find the perfect home for him. :prayer:

#22 ·
So many times we took in Maltese pairs that owners said could not be split up. We always kept them together, but honestly of the many pairs we fostered, I would say 8 in 10, were not as bonded as we were led to believe. I have seen some that truly could not be without each other, but in many cases, I believe that most of them just wanted another canine around. It would be hard to tell without meeting this pair, but from what you describe Tony sounds like the kind of pup that would make an excellent adjustment.

I am excited for you. Tony sounds just darling. :)

Hopefully, you can help steer a small dog rescue toward this Peke and they can find the perfect home for him. :prayer:
Carina, thanks so much. That is great advice. When the took out little Tony, neither the Peak or Tony got upset that they were not with each other.

Little Tony's temperment is amazing. Excellent on a leash. I was walking him back in, and there was this very large breed dog by the door. I thought, oh this is a good test, just to catch a glipse of any fears and his personality. Tony just pranced right by the larger breed dog.

I do realize that Tony's temperment may change, once he gets home and comfortable. But my dear boy Flakey (RIP) taught me many lessons.

Thank you for all the support and I ask for prayers just to do right by all.

Thank you so much!

#23 ·
Both are just darling. I hate to see a truly bonded pair split up, but as Carina said, are they really bonded? And as much as I hate to see a truly bonded pair split up, they will be more easily adopted as singles then a pair. So you do really help the little Pek's chances of being adopted if she's listed on her own.

Having 3 is a ton of work...but if I had a hubby who was a big help and loved having them as much as me...I'd be inclined to have 4. :innocent: Maybe just see how the meet and greet with Mia & Leo go with the little Malt and then perhaps see how things go with the Pek? Just a thought. lol I'm soooo not the right person to ask about stuff like this. I'd say to get both! lolol

btw...have I told you lately how much I love you? :wub:

#24 ·
They will probably be adopted separately, so take Tony and don't worry about the Peke. Someone will adopt it, small dogs usually get adopted rather quickly.

When I took Keiko home, I thought she'd be upset and missing her doggie housemates, but she didn't mope at all after she got here.

#25 ·
Christine, how wonderful!!! Tony/Toni sounds amazing and like a great fit for your family. I hope the meeting with Mia & Leo goes well, I'm certain it will since they are SO sweet.

I know how you feel wanting Tony and the Peke to go together since they are siblings, but because of your allergies you absolutely cannot adopt the Peke. I think most people who go to a shelter to find a dog are only planning on bringing home one, not two, so I honestly think the Peke will be adopted soon after you bring Tony home. The chances of her not being adopted are probably slim to none -- she is adorable and small. If you can, try to alert small breed rescues about the Peke girl to see if they can put their name in for her if she does not get adopted soon (especially if this is a kill shelter).

We can't save all of the little fluffs in shelters, as much as we would love to, but adopting one saves a life and gives one beautiful fluff a second chance. Welcome to the family, Tony! :)

#26 ·
:goodpost:
I would go contrary to all other advice! Even if I think all the advice is good, and it is! I would either take both or leave both. My advice isn't much help I know. You can't take both and you are already in love w/Tony. Why do we live in a world where such choices have to be made? I long for more perfection, but I am old enough and smart enough to know it doesn't exist---this perfection which we all desire. Praying for you as YOU are the one who has to decide. I support you in your decision.

#28 ·
I forgot to say something important! When we were thinking of putting down our little Bischon/Maltese mix because of an aggressive fibrosarcoma we were looking everywhere for advice---we knew what to do but lacked the courage/desire to do it---our Texas vet gave good advice: "you have to do what is best for the dog---not what you want to do"---in this case probably adoption is what is best for Tony---

#29 ·
I say go adopt Tony. Small cute dogs get adopted so quickly, I'm sure the Peke will be snatched up by a great family so fast your head will spin.

If they're not going to adopt them out together, then someone else will be taking Tony home, I'm sure of it.

#30 ·
I'm just seeing this! Christine, I'm dying to hear how the meeting with all the fluffs goes. Tony is so darling! Love at first sight from the sounds of it!

I think splitting them up will not be such a bad thing. Hopefully a rescue will take the little girl in, but I bet she gets adopted fast anyway. She is adorable and little dogs like that are often sought after. You are going to give Toni a wonderful and loving home. You will always have the satisfaction of that. He will never have to worry about anything ever again except which bed he wants to nap in! You can't save them all, but you can give this one precious soul the good life.

#31 ·
You've gotten some great advice and it's such a good point that they will likely be split up anyway and Tony could end up by himself if the Peke were adopted first.

I wouldn't put a lot of stock in a meeting among Mia, Leo and Tony. A short meeting on neutral turf really won't show much about how things will go in your home. But I'm sure all three will adjust wonderfully. Tony is used to not being an only dog so he will likely love having Mia and Leo to play with, etc. I loooove having three!!!

Keep us posted!! Very exciting!!!

#36 ·
I say go for it with Toni. I live pretty close to the shelter and will do my best to spread the word about the Peak being there. Its tough to resist a small dog that is that cute!

Maybe my Chloe can meet your Mia, Leo, and TONI for a play date... after Chloe gets all of her shots of course!

Good luck!

#37 ·
I say go for it with Toni. I live pretty close to the shelter and will do my best to spread the word about the Peak being there. Its tough to resist a small dog that is that cute!

Maybe my Chloe can meet your Mia, Leo, and TONI for a play date... after Chloe gets all of her shots of course!

Good luck!

Gosh we must live so close :). I would love a playdate :)

I updated my first post and there are pics. I love you all and thank you so much for being there.

Please see the update on my first post.

Thank you all again,
Christine

#38 ·
Christine - what a roller coaster and a whirlwind couple of days. :w00t: All I can say is "What is meant to be, will be." It seemed like this was a perfect match but if your instincts told you otherwise, then you ned to follow your gut. I forgot about the neuter but the day after Tyler's neuter he didn't want to be with anyone! But as you said, the main thing is getting Tony a great, loving forever home and it looks like that's the case. If anything goes wrong with that, who knows you could end up with Tony because it's meant to be, but if not you'll know he's happy and being loved. I was anxious to know if the other family had another dog or not and/or kids. Did they indicate anything? Did you mention that you'd be interested if anything falls through?
I'm sure this is so bittersweet for you. Bless you for going in there to help out and I know you'll always miss Tony but know that he'll be happy. Wouldn't it be funny if you saw him someday:) Sleep well and know that little boy won't be in the shelter for long now and hopefully the Pek will get a new home too.:hugging:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.