Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was driving to town,didn't plan on doing but needed to run a quick errand. I've been hearing something like a hawk in the woods,but it's far enough away,it had to be bigger than a hawk. Well Al heard it too and said he thought it might be another eagle in the area. Well sure enough,I drove into town,heard it cry or screach or whatever the sound and there it was,big as life,flying pretty low. I almost ran into the ditch watching it,it went right into the woods across from te house,where we've been hearing the cry....
Well no puppies off leash anymore.I've been playing fetch in the yard w/ them,but now I worry I can't.

The last eagle we had in the area, swooped up a beagle but it wriggled loose,fell about 20 feet and was ok,other than a puncture wound from a tallon,could have been so much worse.... This eagle has a white head so it's more than 5 years old,so it's not the one,I think anyway,we had last summer...
Great ,first coyotees and now another eagle....

·
Premium Member
24,019 Posts
Michelle - very cool in one way; very scary in another. I would definitely use the leashes and keep an eye on the kids.

·
Registered
10,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't know if it will go away,we had a nesting pair only a couple miles from us last year until a storm took out their nest and killed the female and babies... The male left,heard it was about 40 miles away,up river. I don't know if they mate fo rlife like swans,so this one might be him or another. So far I've only seen one,so maybe it will move on. Right now it's hunting mice and rats running out of the fields when the combines are taking off corn and beans....so picken's a plenty for now will keep him near by..
Sure they're beautiful to watch,but sorry fluffs come before predatory birds....in my eyes....

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
Michelle, better to be safe than sorry...you are so right. I don't let my baby out there without me right there. We had a coyote in our yard and I worry about that. Scary!!!:unsure:

·
Premium Member
2,210 Posts
Oh dear, be careful. That's scary. I live in the midwest, and my parents saw a mountain lion in their yard last year. :w00t: :w00t: (They live one mile out of town on a highway.) We can never be too careful.

·
Premium Member
6,086 Posts
I had no idea they were strong enough to lift a beagle. Oh my word! I guess a 4 pound Malt would be no problem for them. We do have eagles here in NC. I have seen them every once in awhile. I have noticed that hawks and eagles seem to be more active in the fall. I see more that time of year than any other time. Hey, it IS fall, now. Yes, everyone be vigilent.:w00t:

·
Registered
10,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It was a small beagle/mix maybe 10 pounds,might be why it dropped it. I know it can scoop up a 10 pound koi,that's how I lost one of my 3 ft koi a couple years ago.
I always keep a close eye on fluffs because of coyotes,which lately have been awful shy,haven't seen one in a month,but the corn and beans are high too. I really watch Rylee,he's only 4 pounds,but all the fluffs,even Amber would be a snack for a coyote or an eagle....

We have farmers taking off crops so the field mice and rats are on the move and hawks and eagles wait in telephone poles by the roads to wait for them to scurry out of the fields....

I'm all for majestic nature but I don't want it majestically flying off w/ my fluffs...yeah I know we live in the country,we kinda ask for it.
I figure if I do my duty and watch my fluffs,I can yell at nature if it lands in my yard...too bad nature doesn't pay my property taxes,might be a bit more appreciative when it swoops up my koi fish....the least it can do is pay for dinner!

·
Registered
7,273 Posts
I know your worry Michelle! We have 2 bald eagles in our yard and red tail hawks. It's a worry everytime we go potty outside. I have to watch B&E like hawks! It's serious stuff when you have these kind of predators by your home and you have small dogs. It's a MAJOR worry for me too!

·
Premium Member
8,623 Posts
I worry about hawks here. We did have coyotes but haven't seen or heard any for probably a year so I think they may have moved on. We had a by-pass build close to our subdivision and it took out a lot of their woods. The hawks are a constant worry, I've even seen them in a tree in my front yard and sitting on my roof. :w00t: That's scary stuff!!

·
Registered
10,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Just saw that eagle today it was sitting along the road next to a tree,as we drove by it got spooked and flew away. Wierd that it was sitting on the ground instead of a tree or some high perch. We got pretty close before it flew off. It was only a quarter mile from the house....
I've been keeping mine on leash every time we go outside now,no playing outside now... Even when we walk out to the building,I put all 5 on leash ,so we don't have stragglers,until we all get inside.

·
Premium Member
2,210 Posts
Just saw that eagle today it was sitting along the road next to a tree,as we drove by it got spooked and flew away. Wierd that it was sitting on the ground instead of a tree or some high perch. We got pretty close before it flew off. It was only a quarter mile from the house....
I've been keeping mine on leash every time we go outside now,no playing outside now... Even when we walk out to the building,I put all 5 on leash ,so we don't have stragglers,until we all get inside.
I wonder if it was eating road kill. That's too close for comfort!

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
I'm all for majestic naturebut I don't want it majestically flying off w/ my fluffs...yeah I know we live in the country,we kinda ask for it.
I figure if I do my duty and watch my fluffs,I can yell at nature if it lands in my yard...too bad nature doesn't pay my property taxes,might be a bit more appreciative when it swoops up my koi fish....the least it can do is pay for dinner!
I know this is a serious subject, but what you said just cracked me up. :HistericalSmiley:

I have seen coyotes, hawks, and racoons around my house, so I know to keep my fluffs close to me whenever we are outside.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts