Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:blush: well the last few days after either humping or peeing i see dolce with his head btwn inside his belly .. im like what are u doing so yesterday i pick him up n i look to see what hes after , and umm i saw the red little tip poking out .. it wasnt out all the way thank god !!! but i did see a little red tip. a little while later i checked again n it was tucked inside.. my ques is ? is it normal for him to lick his thingy. should i be worried ?

ive taken every toy he humps away , but he will hump the edge of his bed. luckily he stopped humping my two yr old.. :HistericalSmiley:what to do ?

·
Premium Member
4,916 Posts
:blush: well the last few days after either humping or peeing i see dolce with his head btwn inside his belly .. im like what are u doing so yesterday i pick him up n i look to see what hes after , and umm i saw the red little tip poking out .. it wasnt out all the way thank god !!! but i did see a little red tip. a little while later i checked again n it was tucked inside.. my ques is ? is it normal for him to lick his thingy. should i be worried ?

ive taken every toy he humps away , but he will hump the edge of his bed. luckily he stopped humping my two yr old.. :HistericalSmiley:what to do ?
In short.......yes! It is normal.

·
Registered
13,404 Posts
Dogs do lick themselves. It's part of their attempt at hygiene. Also the old joke applies as well...because they can. You might take away anything he humps until he is neutered. This may or may not deter him. Some dogs do this as a dominance thing and some do it simply because it feels good.

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i have not scheduled his neuter yet. i was going to do it two weeks ago at the aspca and it was gonna be a reduced fee , so its first come first serve , i got there late or rather i didnt know ppl start making the line at 530 am . so i got there late but i plan to get it done soon.

·
Registered
3,790 Posts
Yep, Aolani did it for a while, but never with toys just mostly on legs, but if caught we would tell him no and make him get off. Once he got neutured he stopped with teh exception of my younger brother who he seems to be obsessed with and when my brother tells him no and makes him get off Aolani gets very upset. We're slowly teaching him to respect my bro.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
i have not scheduled his neuter yet. i was going to do it two weeks ago at the aspca and it was gonna be a reduced fee , so its first come first serve , i got there late or rather i didnt know ppl start making the line at 530 am . so i got there late but i plan to get it done soon.

If you do plan on getting it done at the ASPCA, make sure Dolce has pre op bloodwork done by his own vet beforehand. Pre op bloodwork will tell the vet how his organs function and if his body can safely handle anesthesia. Anesthesia is processed through the liver and since Maltese are prone to liver disease, it's especially important to get it done. It can save his life.

You also want to find out what type of anesthesia they use as toy breeds can be sensitive to anesthesia.

http://spoiledmaltese.com/forum/52-maltese-health-behavior/84779-anesthesia.html

Please make sure that a bargain neuter will not put Dolce at a higher risk of complications from the procedure. Saving a few dollars is not worth risking his life.

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you do plan on getting it done at the ASPCA, make sure Dolce has pre op bloodwork done by his own vet beforehand. Pre op bloodwork will tell the vet how his organs function and if his body can safely handle anesthesia. Anesthesia is processed through the liver and since Maltese are prone to liver disease, it's especially important to get it done. It can save his life.

You also want to find out what type of anesthesia they use as toy breeds can be sensitive to anesthesia.

http://spoiledmaltese.com/forum/52-maltese-health-behavior/84779-anesthesia.html

Please make sure that a bargain neuter will not put Dolce at a higher risk of complications from the procedure. Saving a few dollars is not worth risking his life.
you are absolutely right and i will definitely follow ur advice on this.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts