Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's been almost 2 years since we have bought our LG Stainless Steele French Door w/bottom freezer fridge. It has been nothing but a large pita! Good thing I bought the extended warranty on it, after the 12 mo. manufacture warranty went out. During the first year we had it, within 6 months I had to have Sears come out replace one side of the rubber seal that goes around the door. Sears was great, out in less than 1 week.

FFW to January of this year, the other side started folding in and ripping. So I call LG extended warranty people. It took almost 3 1/2 months for the local service guy to even come out! I wanna say it was April, when he finally did show up, just to measure and find out what part he would need.

FINALLY in late July- after many,many **** raising attempts to get them to get out here. I had the part replaced.

Last weekend. The tilt out basket in the freezer, one the plastic pieces that hold it in place, broke off. Not really a biggie, as I can take it out. I called LG and filed a claim to have it repaired. Was told I would hear from someone within 72 hours. HELLO, I am still waiting!

This morning, I walk into the kitchen and I am like what the **** is that loud noise. Normally the fridge is so quite, you can not hear it run. Well, I think it's the blower motor. LORD HELP ME when I get to speak with a Supervisor on these issues of their super slackness! But then again, it will most likely fall upon deaf ears.:smilie_tischkante: the other worst part, is the local appliacance repair company they use to, is the only ones who do their work.

NEVER BUY LG JUNK!

·
Premium Member
10,319 Posts
Oh goodness, I hate to hear this. I was thinking of buying the new LG washer and dryer. You would think that the price they charge for their appliances, they would be a better product.

Tell them you are going to call the TV station and have them come out and film what a bad product they have unless they get on the ball~~~they usually take over and call the company themselves and that lights a fire under the company!! Again, so sorry that you are having such trouble.

·
Premium Member
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have pretty much been a Whirlpool or Kenmore appliance person. The only reason I went with the LG, is because I was told that the exact same company makes the Whirlpool and LG models we were looking at. I went with the LG, because it was bigger and had the extra features I liked. The fridge is beautiful, but I am seriously questioning it's dependability. Even the new models have the situation with the door seals corrected, so obviously LG knew it was a flaw in the design.

The Kenmore, side by side that we replaced, was working fine. THe only thing was that the seal at the bottom of the freezer was torn and it caused water to leak onto the floor. I could never find a model/serial number. So we just opted to replace it with a energy efficient fridge.

Paula, we bought the INSIGNIA plasma TV from Best Buy, which is basically an LG made for BB. It lasted exactly 30 days, no power, nadda! It went straight back to the store. I ended up sticking with my tried and true, never let me down in 25 years Sony. This is all I will buy, as far as electronics go. We do have a GE CRT TV that I got in 1989, still kicking. The color is faded, but hey it works. This was even after leaving it turned on 24/7 at almost full volume for almost a year, at our other house. Hubby thought it would scare off would be intruders.

A very helpful link that I came across, as I am now researching range. I found a gorgeous range that I want at Sears in the Kenmore Elite, but it's made by Frigidaire. :( Appliance411 - Appliance Purchasing, Appliance Service and Appliance Repair Parts Information Center for Major Home Appliances

So I am not sure if I will get it or just wait until next year to see if the manufacture changes, as that is what I was told. That each year manufacturers "bid" to make a certain companies appliances.

·
Premium Member
10,319 Posts
I remember buying refrigerator before last, a hugh Amana side by side. I had it for one week and the motor went out. They replaced it......I had the new one for about 2 weeks and something happened to it. They replaced it with yet another one and it lasted for about 17 years before I replaced it. The appliance dealer that I bought it from told me they had had a strike at the plant and he thought maybe that had something to do with it. Inferring that they sabotaged the appliances, I guess. I was told recently that there are only 3 appliance makers in the US now. They bought out the others but still make it under their name. LG Appliance is from Seoul, S Korea......I did not know they were affliated with Whirlpool. Crazy world of appliances..................

PS....I did some googling......

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/appliances/news/who-actually-makes-all-those-appliances/overview/index.htm

·
Premium Member
24,019 Posts
Wow - that sounds like it could be a lemon to me. I have an LG with the french doors and lower freezer for 4-5 years now -- I did a total kitchen renovation and it's worked like a charm. (Knock wood or this case Stainless Steel). Never had an issue and love the water in door feature that doesn't eat up all your freezer space. Have never had a moment of trouble and I'm in and out of it all the time since I home cook for all of us.

·
Premium Member
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, I called LG and they have already sent the repair request to the local appliance company. I called them this morning and let them know, hey add me to the list AGAIN. Let's see how long this takes to get resolved this time! I will give them one week, if its not taken care of/addressed. Then I am calling New 12 on your side! LOL

·
Premium Member
8,543 Posts
Nothing is made to last anymore. Some people here in Sun City Festival are complaining about their refrigerators too. As far as I understood, it's the people who bought them in 2007 who have most of the problems. They bought GE Profile refrigerators side by side from Pulte. Most problems have to do with the mother board who had to be replaced at about a cost of between 200 and 300$ because depending who you called the price was not the same. They are trying to get enough people together to force GE to reimburse them the cost of the repair. They are also trying to get Pulte involved.
We bought our GE Profile side by side refrigerator in July 2008 but not through Pulte because we wanted a different Model. I knock on wood, we have not had a problem with it. All our appliances here are GE. The microwave/convection and the oven came with the house through Pulte. No complain for now. We replaced the cooktop right away without even using it because I wanted a different one. No complain for now.
In Houston when we changed the oven and microwave (build in) we bought DACOR. They had to change the mother board on the oven after a year but it was still under warranty and did not cost us anything.
Now my daughter bought a DACOR stove/oven and it is a piece of ****. They had to replace the mother board too and some of the frame has cracks because of the heat of the oven.
Frankly you don't know WHAT brand to buy anymore.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts