Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well.. this morning I was getting ready for work and kodie wasnt acting right... but i continued to get ready for work. All of a sudden I heard a cry and i ran in to see what happened. Kodie was begging for me to hold him and he was shaking. I picked him up and heard his belly or abdomend making a gurgling sound (it sounded like if your hungry and havent eaten all day or if you have a tummy ache). I tried rubbing his belly area and he seemed to calm down alittle... but i just dont get it... what is causing this?? This is the second time this happened... except last time he was panting and couldnt get comfortable. Kodie was laying down when i left for work.. I will check on him at lunch time.
He didnt eat much yesterday but he acted fine (playing and having a good time). Can gas cause this sound i hear in his belly?

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Yes it could be gas, but since kodie is so tiny maybe it is hurting him. I would have him checked out by the vet if he is in pain.
Has he any snack that are different from before.
I make sure not to give chester anything he has never had before. If he has even a tastes of potato or other things like carrots or cottage cheese that it for him.
He gets really sick. So poor chester can only have dog food and dog treats. His tummy can not handel anything else.

I hope kodie feels better. I guess read the ingrediant in the food your giving him as well. Maybe he started having an reaction to it.

I hope he starts feeling better soon

·
Registered
608 Posts
Maybe someone can answer this for me...Are dogs like horses? In a horse if you don't hear gut sounds then you are worried about colic or something similar. If you hear good gut sounds that is a positive thing. So my real question is in dogs are gut sounds a good or bad thing.?

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I hear sounds from Fantasia's tummy all the time. I say she takes after her daddy lol. His stomach is so bad that you can hear it from the other room and sometimes it keeps him up at night. Her tummy sounds the same but more quiet. Anyway when she had her x-ray for her back the vet showed us she was full of gas. He suggested simethicone and it has worked wonders. Whenever she seems gassy I give her a little and she's back to her normal self. Maybe you should try some. I would call the vet first. Fantasia loves it and thinks it's a treat. It's for infants and it's liquid. It comes with a dropper. We have gotten the pink kind and the dye free kind (white) and she likes both just the same. The white is more expensive but it doesn't make her hair around her mouth pink lol.

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
Poor Kodie,I hope he feels better very soon.Maybe a trip to the vet. might be in order to see if you can resolve his problems.Even if its just gas maybe there is something they could recomend to ease Kodies discomfort.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
I know that sometimes when I have very very very sharp pain(like someone sticking a dull pencil from the inside), my nurse practitioner always blames it on gas...even when I don't feel ummm, gassy.
Sometimes the pain wil floor me and it lasts a quick second or a few seconds. I hope that Kodie is ok. Take Care!

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Sounds like the discomfort we all feel from time to time due to gas. I hope the little sweetie (I love his pictures) feels better soon. I know several people have used the anti-gas medicine for infants. It might be worth asking your vet about it.

Take care and keep us posted!

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Awww I hate to hear Kodie is having tummy troubles again
I know how you feel mommy. Hope he is better at lunch and you can figure out the cause of it. I know you give him alot of veggies, and veggies are gassy- any new ones lately or any more than usual? gas can cause alot of noises and pains you wouldnt expect.

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Originally posted by Holliberry@Apr 28 2005, 11:17 AM
  I know how you feel mommy.  Hope he is better at lunch and you can figure out the cause of it.  I know you give him alot of veggies, and veggies are gassy- any new ones lately or any more than usual?    gas can cause alot of noises and pains you wouldnt expect.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=57624
[/QUOTE]
Well I do give him veggies... but he didnt have any yesterday at all...
Soo... i dunno what its from. Do you think he can have a SLOW reaction to the brocoili i gave him monday and tues? I think i'm gonna stop the brocoili (even though thats his favorite) just to see if this happens again. I already stopped Cheerios... and now i'm thinking thats okay for him to eat..

Anyone have any more good treats to give your baby that is HEALTHY and NOT full of protein?

·
Registered
608 Posts
Originally posted by Kodie+Apr 28 2005, 04:11 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Holliberry
@Apr 28 2005, 11:17 AM
  I know how you feel mommy.  Hope he is better at lunch and you can figure out the cause of it.  I know you give him alot of veggies, and veggies are gassy- any new ones lately or any more than usual?    gas can cause alot of noises and pains you wouldnt expect.
Soo... i dunno what its from. Do you think he can have a SLOW reaction to the brocoili i gave him monday and tues? I think i'm gonna stop the brocoili (even though thats his favorite) just to see if this happens again. I already stopped Cheerios... and now i'm thinking thats okay for him to eat..

Anyone have any more good treats to give your baby that is HEALTHY and NOT full of protein?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=57731
[/B][/QUOTE]

Have you tried the baby carrots that are already peeled?

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thank you everyone! Kodie is feeling better! At lunch he was really tired and just wanted to sleep.

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Originally posted by dhodina+Apr 28 2005, 04:15 PM-->
Originally posted by [email protected] 28 2005, 04:11 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-Holliberry
@Apr 28 2005, 11:17 AM

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=57731

[/QUOTE]

Have you tried the baby carrots that are already peeled?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=57734
[/B][/QUOTE]
yeah i have tried carrots... but they dont seem to digest very well with him.

·
Registered
608 Posts
This may sound odd but Gerber makes their own version of cherrio's for baby's learning to eat solid foods. They will disolve in their mouth if they suck too long. But they are bannana flavored and low protien. I would think they would be very easy on his tummy. I have a container at home I can check the protien count when I get home if you would like.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Broccoli is one of the more gassier veggies but it still doesnt make sense that it would take two days to kick in. Never know though. I would definately eliminate one thing at a time like you are doing and see what happens. See what the vet says. I just googled gassy vegetables and found this on a baby site:

"Some of the frequent offenders include gassy vegetables (broccoli, cabbage, corn, onions, beans, and legumes like peanuts); citrus (tomatoes, strawberries, oranges, orange juice, lemons, limes, prunes, etc.); chocolate; strong spices (garlic, mustard, and peppers); caffeine (coffee, regular and herbal teas and soft drinks); medications (Vitamin C, iron tablets and infant fluoride); and milk"

That list seems smaller than I expected so I'm sure some of Kodies other favorites are still ok!

1 - 20 of 61 Posts