Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well today i had my last final. What a relief it is all over.
I made it through the hardest part of vet school. Now I have a month off, then I'm off to the clinics where I will have my own patients. I am so excited, and so scared. Tonight is a big ceremony where i get my white coat! My vet that I used to work for is coming and will be on stage to "coat me". I am so honored that he is coming!

I have a question to all of u. Being that I will start seeing clients, and I have to make sure they like me...what are some things that you vet does that you really like about them, and what things do u wish they wouldnt do. like do u like them to tell ur pets hello first before u... etc.

I always strive for everyone to like me, and I know i will run into some people that just dont...but I want to try my best to be the best vet, so I would really like to hear from u guys! thanks in advanced! :D

·
Registered
323 Posts
Way to go Lady M, what an exciting time of life for you...

What do I like about my vets? Well I have a female and a male that I see at our clinic and I love that they come in and say Hi to me and the dogs seamlessly. They say something like Hi-how are you and Josie/Pudge today...then they are so attentive and personal with my dogs and they snuggle with them as if they were there own. At one point Josie wanted me to hold her and the vet was petting her and then realized she wanted me and said I guess I have to give her back to you..bottom line is they make me feel like my fur-kids are the most important thing in the world to them (even though I know they have a million things going on, but for that moment we are all that matters). I even have their home numbers(not that I have ever used them) and this is not a small clinic---so again the personal touch is important for me.
I know you will make an amazing vet because you showed the first sign by just asking what is important to us....so you will be a caring, considerate, loving vet. Which is what we are all looking for.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Oh my GOSH! I'm so so so so so HAPPY for you!

·
Registered
894 Posts
Congratulations!! I am just thrilled for you!! When I have taken the kitty's to the Vet I always liked it when they said hello and pet my kitty first, they are the kitty's doctor, not mine!! It was very important for me to see that they really cared. Long ago I had to have one of my favorite kitty's put to sleep, he had bladder cancer. Spooky was my best friend!! My Vet cried when she put him down!! She sent a card a week or so later on "the loss of your pet" type thing and called to see how I was doing. I was just sooooo touched!!

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
LadyM,Im soooo happy for you!!!
You will be a WONDERFULL Vet.You'r personality is you'r greatest asset,being a GOOD VET. will be second nature for you. I wish you were closer to me,Id have you for our vet. in a second!!!! CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Thats so great for you...and all i can really say is dont call peoples dogs stupid (even if they are) i went to a vet who the whole time told me how unmanagable and dumb sunny was....i mean even if he wasnt on his best behaviour come on, but i doubt you would do that anyways your gonna do great

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!! You must be so excited!!! This is so great!

What I absolutely love about Peanut's vet is that she takes a personal interest in Peanut. He had some health problems in the very beginning, but is healthy now. The vet just truly cares about him and whenever we walk into he building, the vet takes five minutes to introduce Peanut to any new staff members, and tells them how incredible Peanut is. She remembers Peanut from before I even adopted him and she doesn't just see dollar signs when we walk in the door. One time there was a mix up in the appointment shedules and Peanut's vet was double booked and I had to see a different vet. I really didn't like her because she took no interest in Peanut. All she did was read his charts and inject his vaccine. She had said nothing to me and she was basically acting like we were interupting her day.

From this post I can already see that you will be an awsome vet!! You care enough to ask what qualities we think makes a good vet. Congrats!! :D

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Congratulations for reaching this milestone in your career!

I love my vet. When he comes in the exam room he always shakes my hand and greets me and then greets my dog. He will pick them up and kiss them and talk real sweet to them.

One of the best things is that he always very thoroughly explains what is going on medically. I haven't had any issues (knock on wood) with K & C but with my first Maltese, Rosebud, there were a ton of issues. He would show me the x-rays and explain what they showed. He would draw diagrams of things to help explain it... he just wants to make sure I understand what the problem is and what the treatment is. If he does a test, he explains what he checked for and what he found.

He has a real friendly personality. Everyone loves him. He is the most popular vet at the practice. He is always smiling and is very friendly to everyone and is just a very warm individual. Every year I give him a nice Christmas gift and I'm sure he gets tons and tons of them. But every year I always get a really nice thank you note from him.

He has been known to plop on the floor to get closer to a dog, especially if it is not doing well. The day I had to have Rosebud euthanized he sat on the floor with her and later called to see how I was doing and he sent me a beautiful note where he talked about how special Rosebud was, etc. [The practice made a donation in her memory to a vet school in the state and sent me a huge gift basket of soaps, lotions, food, etc. and everything in the basket was rose-related (for ROSEbud), including the ribbon which had roses on it. ]

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! im sooo happy for you.

ok, i like it when my vet says hi to me and then he goes "who's this gorgeous boy" or something like that. and i like that he doesnt mind when the dogs lick his face.

AND DO NOT SEEM UNSURE!!! there's this lady vet that says "i think" a lot and she goes "ummmm" a lot---its annoying. so i only saw her once. i didnt trust her. LOL. eventhough she had been working for years too. you know?

and you're totally intelligent and you have to show that.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Yeah, you're so nice on SM, I can't imagine you being a bad Vet. I'm not really sure why you're so insecure. You seem to know your stuff!

I had this one dude I never want again. He was too arrogant for me. And he didn't seem like he liked my dogs. One time, I should have told him off. He and this other receptionist were talking about Cloud and he made a joke that Cloud's going to be euthanized. I didn't think about it when I got home, but I was so freaking furious he said that! I don't know how they work back there, but what if someone DID euthanize Cloud mistakenly!?!? And also, my dogs are my kids! You wouldnt joke like that with humans, so don't talk like that about my babies!

I always ask for this other guy. When he comes in he spends the first 5 minutes trying to warm up to my babies. I'm sure he doesnt spend that time with every animal(he actually might
). It's just because he's curious why all of a sudden, Cloud is so scared of him when he use to be so playful. I love it when even when you're still a "Dr." you want to learn and know much more than you do.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Congratulations!!!!
I am so happy for you! You are going to make a dynamite vet - the content of your posts and your caring ways make that evident. I wish you all the best, and think that your future patients and their parents will be very lucky to have you for their doctor!

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanks everyone..all of your input is giving me more confidence! I just got back from my ceremony. it was fun, but was stressful at the begining b/c my vet was stuck in traffic, but he made it just in time. he is a wonderful man and im so lucky to have had him as a mentor. you guys are so wonderful, i wish i could take care of all of ur babies!

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Congratulations to you!!!!!

I am SO thrilled for you!!!!
I think as long as you are friendly and caring~no one will ever have complaints. The ONLY thing about my vet that even remotely bothers me is that I can tell that Brinkley is a "foo-foo" dog to him. Don't get me wrong...he is GREAT with him...but he is more of a "country" vet..and I think he prefers the bigger animals...just the feeling I have gotten. He and his whole staff are great. They always speak to the animals and dote all over them.
When Sandi, my cat got so sick...he ran every test imaginable before he ran the feline leukemia test. I think he wanted it NOT to be that as much as I did. He gave me lots of free x-rays when we were watching the blockage/mass in her intestines. The day I made the decision to put her down, he and the staff were very loving....I couldn't bear to go back there...but Amy, the tech said she held her and petted her the whole time. They all cried with me! They wrapped her neatly in her blanket and put her back in her carrier for me to take home.
The next week I got a sympathy card personally signed by all of them. I was SO touched! This same vet used to be part of another clinic in the next town. When our other outside cat got a bacteria infection and passed at the clinic, we didn't get anything from them. I think things like that are one of the reasons that he moved and went into his own practice.

Anyway...you will be great! I just know it! :D

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Originally posted by 2happymalts@Feb 4 2005, 02:42 PM

Way to go Lady M, what an exciting time of life for you...

What do I like about my vets?  Well I have a female and a male that I see at our clinic and I love that they come in and say Hi to me and the dogs seamlessly. They say something like Hi-how are you and Josie/Pudge today...then they are so attentive and personal with my dogs and they snuggle with them as if they were there own. At one point Josie wanted me to hold her and the vet was petting her and then realized she wanted me and said I guess I have to give her back to you..bottom line is they make me feel like my fur-kids are the most important thing in the world to them (even though I know they have a million things going on, but for that moment we are all that matters). I even have their home numbers(not that I have ever used them) and this is not a small clinic---so again the personal touch is important for me.
I know you will make an amazing vet because you showed the first sign by just asking what is important to us....so you will be a caring, considerate, loving vet.  Which is what we are all looking for.

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=33483
[/QUOTE]

This is how my vet is also-he always acts like he's going to have to take Ruby Jean home with him to "keep an eye on her." ..and she loves giving him kisses and he doesn't mind one bit! (btw-he has a maltese at home!!) BUT his receptionist is a real challenge!! l0l-I'm so surprised he has her out there-I'm sure he's gotten many complaints...my son and daughter won't go to him because she was so rude to them when they called for an appointment!! Anyway-I put up with her because I like him so much. Anyway when her mood changes I just laught at her..... Congratulations!!! Wow that is so AWESOME!!

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
Congrats to you. This is a HUGE milestone! You go!

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
look at all the budding veterinarians!

here is me and my mentor/veterinarian:

not too many good pics came out...my mom was using my camera, and it was way to complicated for her. good thing they had a film camera too...hopefully they come out better.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Awww! Those are good pics! Congrats again!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts