Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

I talked to Alice's *puppymill* Breeder today

2K views 25 replies 18 participants last post by  almitra 
#1 ·
and i said "we're going to be around your town soon and i was wondering if we could stop by and see the pups" and she said "sure thing! here's my number ****** just call when you wanna stop by so we make sure we're there."

:blink: i though puppymills don't want you to go to their house to see the pups? she seemed so chill with the idea too.

#4 ·
Didn't you say this is a network of breeders that works together? She may not have tons of dogs at her own house if she only breeds the Maltese for the network. Another possibility (as I know a lot of large BYBs and mills do this) is that they have a large outdoor building where they keep the majority of their dogs. And then they probably only keep the mothers and puppies inside their home...which may be what you have access too. If this is the case, it should be very easy for them to keep the dogs/puppies inside clean and presentable to buyers. Hopefully they do keep their dogs in decent conditions and care for them okay...you just have to know with a large backyard breeder or mill that they are NOT breeding carefully or responsibly. They are not doing what is best for the dogs, the breed, or the new pet owner. These people may actually appear to be decent breeders to those that don't know any better..but it takes a LOT more than putting two purebred dogs together and keeping them in a clean cage with food & water to be a good breeder.

#5 ·
I agree with everything Michele said. :thumbsup:

Shelby, if you want to know the truth, request copies of their inspection reports. You can do that here:

USDA - APHIS - FOIA Request Fees

A physical inspection of the property is not going to tell you anything about the genetic makeup of the puppy. It's what you can't see that can run up the huge vet bills later on and possibly break your heart.

#8 ·
Yep, like others have said, try to look around as much as possible for some sort of outdoor enclosure (shed, garage, barn, etc). If you aren't allowed in to something like that, for whatever, reason, there's a good chance that's where the majority of the dogs are kept and the few kept in the house serve as the examples to make potential buyers feel better. Remember, the inspection reports from when they first started stated that at that time they had 41 dogs. I highly doubt that number has fallen in the last 3-4 years.

#9 ·
She could have all her dogs around if she is just a byb. The object is not knowing the genes she is using for breeding, if she just breeds and breeds for money. Dogs with genetic problems are passing that along to pups and grief for the new owner.
Don't be fooled if you see all the dogs in the house and she offers you coffee. She still is not doing the right thing. Pass the word.....DO NOT BUY FROM BYB's OR PUPPY MILLS.

#11 ·
My Ellie who I had to PTS at the age of 5 came from a BYB. She kept the pups in the house. I did ask to meet her parents and they took me out back to a shed, she had several breeds. The shed did have AC. I am much smarter now but really was clueless when we bought Ellie. Ellie was a very sick little girl most of her life, we gave her a great home, she was very loved by us and Spoiled Maltese. My 600 dollar puppy ended up costing us about 15000 dollars and a broken heart. I would have your puppy checked by a vet and have a blood panel to rule out Liver Disease.

Good Luck,

Cathy and Mercedes

#17 ·
My Ellie who I had to PTS at the age of 5 came from a BYB. She kept the pups in the house. I did ask to meet her parents and they took me out back to a shed, she had several breeds. The shed did have AC. I am much smarter now but really was clueless when we bought Ellie. Ellie was a very sick little girl most of her life, we gave her a great home, she was very loved by us and Spoiled Maltese. My 600 dollar puppy ended up costing us about 15000 dollars and a broken heart. I would have your puppy checked by a vet and have a blood panel to rule out Liver Disease.

Good Luck,

Cathy and Mercedes
I'd ask if there's a health guarantee,IN WRITING, for any bad lab results. See if they'll write it up,w/in a specified period of time,say 90 days to see if any major health issues come up,do they offer any type of relief,either pay for bills or refund. Refund shoulds harsh because most will offer refund only since they know you'll be totally in love w/ your fluff and not consider a refund ,so many will drop it.

#16 ·
I have to chime in with one more voice of experience. My first Maltese Ty, who is now 5 years old, came from a BYB. She was the nicest sweetest lady who loved her dogs to death, they were raised in a clean loving home but the bottom line was that she was not a responsible breeder. So no matter how nice a person is, it doesn't mean they should be breeding.

I couldn't love TY more if he were perfect but I have spent THOUSANDS of dollars on bilateral patella surgery and he is FAR from the Maltese standard (difficult to determine when they are a cute ball of fur). Buying from a reputable breeder is no guarantee that you won't have problems but there is a far greater chance for having a problem free pup if you go with a reputable breeder.

#19 · (Edited)
My previous dog came from a puppy mill. By her outward appearance, you would have never known. She was within the breed standard, a very pretty dog and very sweet, too. But like the others here, after a couple of years, the genetic time bombs started going off. I spent a ton of money, as she had back problems, Cushings, skin issues, allergies, anxiety, etc.

But the worst part about it was the pain that she had to endure from her back problems, even with medication. Over the years, she became more withdrawn from the pain, and it was heartbreaking to see.

That is why we are here telling you this. We don't want you to go through the pain and heartbreak that we did.

If people don't buy dogs from BYB's/puppy mills, they will go out of business. If you choose to buy a dog from a BYB/Puppy mill, then you are indirectly responsible for perpetuating the pain and suffering of the dogs that BYB/PM owner will breed in the future. Do you want this dog that badly that you are willing to have that on your conscience? It's really as simple as that.

#20 ·
You know I was watching Judge Judy today and she had a case involving a Yorkie and she said to the plaintiffs "Now why did't you just look in the paper and find another puppy" :huh: I was like OMG, I mean this is a very smart woman, does she have no idea what puppy-mills are ?
So I am inclined to say I really don't think everyone knows what a puppy-mill a byb or a broker really are . I can't see Judge Judy knowing and condoning it, I hope not . :(

#21 ·
It seems you are set on getting this pup. And you will fall in love, just like I did with my Archie :)wub::wub::wub::wub:...there aren't enough words to describe the love that I have for him).

Last year when he turned 5 years old he started limping. So now he has Luxating patellas in his hind legs and arthritis in his crooked front legs. So far the meds that I put in his food every night have helped immensely....but I worry about the future....I always worry about my boy.....will he even be able to walk when he turns 10?

I want you to get your puppy, I just want you to understand the risks involved. But on the other hand, Tinker (my knucklehead yorkie) came directly from a puppy mill as an adult....he's the healthiest dog there is. The silly guy (with a ton of mental issues) will live forever!! :w00t::HistericalSmiley:I love my little knucklehead too, I just love teasing him....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.