Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not the most computer literate person in the world, but I think I have finally figured out this thing!

Some of you may recognize us from that other web site, but for those of you who don't know us, I'm Samsonsmom, aka Carolyn.

Sammie (Tiger's Wild Samson) has been my baby for a little over two years. A little over three years ago, my darling daughter-in-law had to serve a one year long internship to get her doctorate in physical therapy, served three months in four different locations around the country. She asked me if I would keep her little maltie, Brutus, then about four months old. Of course, we said yes, and that was my introduction into being owned by a Maltese. Brutus became an essential member of our household, the tormenter of my own best friend, Woofie, a Sheltie who was certainly a senior citizen, having been my baby for over 16 years. We had acquired him "for the kids" when they were small, but soon after we brought him home, he just announced, "Mommie, little boys stink. I want to be YOUR doggie." And he was.

Age had taken its toll on my old friend by the time Brutus came for his long visit. His arthritis was very painful, he was nearly blind, deaf, and his quality of life was declining. One Saturday while I was doing something else in another room, I heard him crying in the kitchen. He had been laying on the cool floor, and try as he might on the slick surface, he could not stand up. He whimpered in pain when I helped him up, and I knew right then that it was time to make that call to the vet. The next morning, I found him laying in the living room floor looking so pityful I just lay down beside him, took him on my shoulder and held him. I told him stories about when he was a pup, I told him how much I loved him, and as my tears fell on his little beloved face, Woofie went quietly to the Rainbow Bridge.

Brutus was still with us, but I knew that his mom would be home around Thanksgiving, and although I had tried hard not to get attached to him, how can one not get attached to a Maltese puppy! I started a search for a Maltese of my own. Would you believe the first person I found was Jennifer Siliski!!! Now that is a frightening thought. We could not come to an agreement about price, and she did not want me to come and see her "kennel" so I moved on. Through the help of a groomer in a nearby town, I found a great breeder in nearby Kentucky. We talked on the phone, and yes, he had a litter ready. He told me I could come and see them, so off we went. The babies were gorgeous, "hand raised" by this gentle man and his wife, but he told me he would be hesitant to let me adopt one, because he said I was not ready. My heart still hurt too much for my Woofie. He said he had a lovely little lady who had a litter that was not ready, but would be in another month or so, but they were too little to look at right then, and come back in a month and I could see his new batch.

When we went back, Sam and I spotted each other immediately, and I knew I had found my dog. Mr. Breeder had already asked me enough questions to fill a book, but after we agreed on a price, and he agreed I could take Sammie home (he was now 10 weeks) in three to four more weeks, if he was sufficiently weaned at that time and weighed more than a pound and a half, we were going over his papers. Sammie was born within a couple of hours after Woofie's death. You can believe it or not, but I know Woofie sent this little guy to me. He did not want me to be lonely any more. He knew that loving Sammie did not mean that I loved him any less.

Well, that's our story. Sammie has been under my chair, in my lap, on my bed, in the bathroom with me now for right around two years. Brutus still comes to visit frequently, he's now considered my grandpup. The two babies love each other and they love Doggie Daddy and me....and our lives are richer for it.

Samsonsmom

Now when we get time, I'll tell you my side of the story. Sammie

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Oh my goodness what a beautiful story. Welcome!
Looking forward to seeing pics of your beautiful Woofie, Samson and grandpup Brutus.

Now I must go get some tissues!

·
Registered
2,813 Posts
Carolyn,

Thank you for sharing your story of Woofie, Brutus and Sammie. I remeber reading parts of this on MO but I don't think I've ever seen the enitre story. it's absolutely beautiful.

Carla & Shotzi

·
Registered
17,045 Posts
Sammie...................you had better be a good boy. Your mommy is the only one who will share her ice cream cone with you at the Dairy Queen while the two of you "gross out" anyone who is watching.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Originally posted by samsonsmom@Nov 7 2005, 12:16 AM
Age had taken its toll on my old friend by the time Brutus came for his long visit.  His arthritis was very painful, he was nearly blind, deaf, and his quality of life was declining. One Saturday while I was doing something else in another room, I heard him crying in the kitchen.  He had been laying on the cool floor, and try as he might on the slick surface, he could not stand up.  He whimpered in pain when I helped him up, and I knew right then that it was time to make that call to the vet.  The next morning, I found him laying in the living room floor looking so pityful I just lay down beside him, took him on my shoulder and held him.  I told him stories about when he was a pup, I told him how much I loved him, and as my tears fell on his little beloved face, Woofie went quietly to the Rainbow Bridge. 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=117421
[/QUOTE]

OMG-what a beautiful heartbreaking story.

I am sure he is smiling down on you from Rainbow Bridge.

Big welcomes to you and Sammie!

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Carolyn, thank you so much for sharing your story with us. It was truly beautiful, moving, heartwarming.... all.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Oh my. I am going to have to stop reading in the morning. It tends to ruin my makeup. I am so glad that you found Sammie. He sounds like a very sweet little one

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Welcome, and thanks for sharing your wonderful love story. Sammie is sure a lucky baby to have you as his mommy.

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
Welcome to SM! I remember you from the (bad) place and Im so glad you have found us here. There are lots of ppl.here you will remember from there.This is a wonderful forum full of caring&loving ppl.(Thanks Joe) and I look forward to you and Sammie being part of it!

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Hey!!! I remember you from that other site. I don't think I had ever read your story though. It is absolutely beautiful and heartbreaking at the same time. It literally sent chills all over me. But is it not amazing how wonderfully everything works out to bring you into a stronger person, and how you can experience so many different kinds of love. You never lose any of the love for things, you only realize you have so much more love than you ever imagined to give!

·
Registered
10,369 Posts
Carolyn - What a beautiful, heartfelt story. The love NEVER dies for our little ones, no matter how many more enter our hearts.

·
Premium Member
4,916 Posts
I don't usually cry before coffee in the AM! Thank you Carolyn for your beautiful story. It especially touched me for 2 reasons--I had a Sheltie that died because of arthritis in his back that finally paralized him. I was not able to stand the idea of another dog until meeting a Malt at a show. Now Frosty after almost 14 years of Malty love, is having some bad aging problems. Every time I leave the room where I can see him, I slip back in to make sure he is breathing. Some days he is still spry enough to act like my Frosty, but that Rainbow seems ever closer. I lie on the floor with him and talk close so his deaf little ears might understand some of what I'm saying. (Now I'm going to short out my keyboard with my tears if I don't stop!) :excl:

Needless to say a sweet MaltMommie like you is so welcome to our group!
Bless you and Sammie. I hope we hear many more stories!

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
glad you got it figured out, and welcome

·
Registered
17,045 Posts
Samsonsmon...Carolyn,
I know you are working on adding pictures of Sammie and Brutus, but I just can't help myself. I want to share the pictures of the boys in the car. they are so cute.

So for Carolyn, here are two of the men in her life..........Sammie and Brutus

·
Premium Member
13,652 Posts
Carolyn, I am sitting here with tears in my eyes, I have just read your story and it is indeed very moving and beautiful, thank you for sharing it

I think your boys are adorable
and I am so glad you found us and worked out the site.

Welcome to SM

1 - 20 of 33 Posts