Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
11,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last fall a new family moved to the neighborhood. I found this little Tzu wandering around my yard and picked her up and went door to door until I found her home. They did not even realize she was gone. :( But they have young kids and they were moving and doors were left open so I could 'kind of' understood, even though that would NOT happen with my two.

Last evening, here was this little Tzu in my yard again. She was horribly dirty and even smelled a bit. She seemed thin to me for a Tzu, but not unhealthy. I had to coax her to me with a treat, which she did not take so I'm hoping that means she's not ravenous. You could really see a defined waist on her when you looked down on her, and with a Tzu and their thick fur, I've not seen such a defined waist. So I took her back to her home. Again they did not even know she was gone. :angry:

So here's why I think I'm actually kind of losing touch with real life. I seriously thought about just keeping her and putting her in rescue so she could get a home who will really gave her the time and attention she deserves. But then I thought...what IF mine had gotten out? What if someone who thought they could care for mine better then me thought they deserved a better home and kept them? I mean...Zoe did need a bath last night...which she got btw. Truthfully, most people don't dote on their furkids like we do here on SM. Does that make them bad furparents?

I just have a feeling I'll be finding her in my yard a lot this summer and I know I'll have to wrestle with the same questions again. What would you do?

·
Registered
7,039 Posts
I would take her to the shelter and let them claim her. If they don't, you could have a rescue group pull her.
Not a bad idea, but I'm not sure I could leave her at a shelter for even a few hours. Being somewhat dirty is one thing, but letting a little dog get loose, and not even knowing she is missing is neglect. If this continues to happen, you may have to call animal control, and let them talk to the owners. I'm sure there must be an ordinance against letting dogs run loose. Small dogs and small children are generally not a good mix. It's hard to keep an eye on all of them.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
I would take her home and ask to speak to the mom or dad. I'd explain that this was the third time in a very short period that her children or someone else left the pet out and that you were very concerned. I would point out the obvious and say the dog could have gotten hit or stolen.

You never know what is going on in a home......... people are losing jobs, kids are doing drugs, parents get sick with cancer/ or other serious illnesses and sometimes dogs escape because the parents are not policing due to these factors. Sometimes a new babysitter is in charge and not very responsible. I would get the whole story before I did something desparate.

These are not good excuses but they are understandable and I would try to find out what the scoop is?

I would give them a serious chance to make it right and have a serious talk with their kids and the kids' friends.

Then if it happens again I would call animal control and let them handle it. Any reputable rescue group would seek to get her back to her owner of record first and if she is microchipped animal control or the rescue will just return her, maybe with a fine.
If the animal is owned by them you shouldn't just steal it ( even if its running at large)and give her to a rescue.

·
Registered
11,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would take her home and ask to speak to the mom or dad. I'd explain that this was the third time in a very short period that her children or someone else left the pet out and that you were very concerned. I would point out the obvious and say the dog could have gotten hit or stolen.

You never know what is going on in a home......... people are losing jobs, kids are doing drugs, parents get sick with cancer/ or other serious illnesses and sometimes dogs escape because the parents are not policing due to these factors. Sometimes a new babysitter is in charge and not very responsible. I would get the whole story before I did something desparate.

These are not good excuses but they are understandable and I would try to find out what the scoop is?

I would give them a serious chance to make it right and have a serious talk with their kids and the kids' friends.

Then if it happens again I would call animal control and let them handle it. Any reputable rescue group would seek to get her back to her owner of record first and if she is microchipped animal control or the rescue will just return her, maybe with a fine.
If the animal is owned by them you shouldn't just steal it ( even if its running at large)and give her to a rescue.
LOL...Oh I'm a foster mom for NorthCentral Maltese Rescue so I am fully aware of the legal ramifications, which is why I have here at the store and at home, a surrender form. In a case like this where there may not be someone to sign a surrender form, and ;)I were 100% certain it was time to act, for legal reasons I would contact Animal Control and then give them my name as the contact for NMR. She would not have to stay long at the shelter.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts

Cat - Thank you for your post, thoughtful and balanced.

Crystal - It's obvious that your heart and your conscience are both at work here. Just by the fact that you asked the question, I think you already knew what the right answer was ... to return the dog. Not only should you return the dog but seize the moment to educate these folks. As Cat said, we have no idea what's going on inside the house and shouldn't jump to conclusions or, worse yet, play judge, jury and law enforcement officer. Maybe by talking with your neighbors they will indicate that the dog is too much for them to handle right now and you could offer to help them find a rescue group that would place their dog for them.

I have never taken in a stray Maltese without trying desperately to find the dog's rightful owner. If, God forbid, one of my dogs got loose or stolen I would hope that others would do the same for me and my dog.

·
Premium Member
24,033 Posts
I agree with Cat and Mary about talking to the family about what's up. Though you might be able to go one step further and see if there's any diplomatic way to say that if they are overwhelmed or at wits end or unemployed (whatever) and don't feel that they can take care of the Shih Tzu that you do work in rescue and know that the dog could be placed in a home that would love him and take care of him as they should. You could help them with the process if that's what they decided. I wouldn't do it in an accusing way, but maybe it's a way out for them. I think a lot of people feel like if they give up their pet it could be euthanized and that there isn't that area in between where the pet could get a better life. JMO.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
I can only tell you what I did 10 years ago. There was a husky and a white shepherd puppy that I took in 3 times, and called their owner to come get them. The third time I called them, they did not call or come get them for almost 3 days. :angry:

I called them back and said they didn't deserve to have them, and that I would take them and love them, and make sure they were kept safe. We lived out in the country, where farmers shoot dogs that run their cattle.

They called back a few hours later and said I was right. They had 2 very small children, and there was no way they could take care of them all.

I found the husky a great home, one that knew how to care for Husky's ... and that little white shepherd pup is my Cita (a shepherd mix) that has been with me ever since!! :wub:

HUGz and good luck! Jules

Attachments

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
I like the other's suggestions. I also wanted to add that sometimes people can't take care of their pets as they should for reasons beyond their control. There is no excuse for neglect, however, sometimes they are doing all that they can or know how to do. I got Bailey from a family who simply could no longer take care of her as she needed. It was obvious that she needed some tlc when I got her but she had not been outright neglected or abused. This family may be in a similar situation and you could really help. I don't know how to approach it but you could in a nice way offer to find the dog a home if they need you to. But if they don't take your help and the situation doesn't get any better I would not hesitate to bring that baby to a shelter and get it in a rescue group!

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Crystal, how did the owners react when you brought back their dog? Were they grateful, relieved or apathetic? I think their reaction will dictate how I would handle the situation. I really hope that tzu is not being abused or neglected :(

·
Registered
11,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Crystal, how did the owners react when you brought back their dog? Were they grateful, relieved or apathetic? I think their reaction will dictate how I would handle the situation. I really hope that tzu is not being abused or neglected :(
They were kind of indifferent really. Had they acted angry at the little Tzu for leaving the yard, I would have said something. But as it was, the dad asked me where she had been and thanked me and also apologized for her being in my yard. Heck, I wasn't angry she was in my yard. Just sad that she could have gotten really hurt or someone with less then good intentions found her. I was hoping they would have been shocked that she was gone and relieved that she was back. But he was just...indifferent. I'm guessing they have young kids and are very busy and feel overwhelmed at times.

·
Premium Member
20,083 Posts
Well.....I say....if it happens again.....I don't know if I'd return the "dirty" pup right away. Would it be possible for you to keep her for a day or two to see if they come looking for her? That would tell you if they care or not.

The pup could very well be a well cared for pet, but if not......I'd hate to knowingly leave the poor unwanted pup in that house to fend for herself.

From there you could call a rescue group.

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
I know exactly how you feel when you see that little dog running loose and the owners don't even seem WORRIED that their baby was missing. In my opinion, when they realized their dog was in your yard (from you bringing it back), they should have been outside looking for how it escaped.

To be honest, if it happened again, I would probably turn it into the shelter and then have a rescue organization get it out. I only say this because of the way you described the thin body on the dog. If it is truly thinner than it should be, they either don't feed it enough, or it is sick with a parasite or something like that.

Yesterday my husband and I went to Lowe's to pick up paint, and when we were trying to leave the parking lot, there was a little Shih-Tzu (SOOO ADORABLE) just walking loose around our car. The stupid owners were loading something in their car, and didn't care that their dog was just wandering around. I looked at my husband, and we waited for about 4 minutes staring at the dog...waiting to see if the owner would pick it up...they finally did, but we almost got out and took the dog with us. Next time, though...

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
They were kind of indifferent really. Had they acted angry at the little Tzu for leaving the yard, I would have said something. But as it was, the dad asked me where she had been and thanked me and also apologized for her being in my yard. Heck, I wasn't angry she was in my yard. Just sad that she could have gotten really hurt or someone with less then good intentions found her. I was hoping they would have been shocked that she was gone and relieved that she was back. But he was just...indifferent. I'm guessing they have young kids and are very busy and feel overwhelmed at times.
That's too bad. Based on their reaction, that poor pup probably is very neglected and starving for attention!:angry: I don't think I'd return him the next time either...

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Well.....I say....if it happens again.....I don't know if I'd return the "dirty" pup right away. Would it be possible for you to keep her for a day or two to see if they come looking for her? That would tell you if they care or not.

The pup could very well be a well cared for pet, but if not......I'd hate to knowingly leave the poor unwanted pup in that house to fend for herself.

From there you could call a rescue group.
You can't legally turn over a dog to rescue that belongs to someone else no matter how you feel the dog is being treated.

You have to be the owner of the dog to turn it over to rescue or the dog has to be at a shelter and unclaimed for a specified period of time for the shelter to turn it over to a rescue.

·
Premium Member
4,785 Posts
Ohhhh geez!!! I would have had it in the sink for a bath...kept it to see if the owners even looked for it. No owners looking then I would ask the rescue to take it.
Our rescue will take a dog that I call about... if I will foster they will do the rest.
Next time please take it Crystal before something awful happens to it.

·
Registered
10,753 Posts
I would take her to an animal shelter too. You don't know what they'll do if they know you have her,they could sue you or even worse,try something w/ your dogs. When I've found dogs that came to me repeatedly,after taking them back to the owners,I just took them to the shelter and asked if I could foster them until the owners came forward.

The shelter being overwhelmed would do this. Plus it helped to not have them in a stressed environment where they could get sick.

They were actually inducted and signed in at the shelter and the shelter boss would call me if anyone came in , I'd go in the service entrance and hand the dog over to the shelter boss who would take them to the owners. That is if they chose to take them back. Most surrendered them, so I would take them home as fosters until they found homes.

The owners never saw me so that way I wouldn't end up a target if they got angry...

I'd take her to the shelter to cover your bum.... no good dead ever goes,,,unpunished...

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.