Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just have a couple of quick questions and would like to know your thoughts.

Sassy will be 3 in Dec. and has never ever had any ear problems. I always keep her ears plucked. Sometimes I do it and other times I have the vet do it.

Well, about 2-3 weeks ago I noticed that she was shaking her head a little here and there, and also scratching a little. I checked her ears and NOTHING. There is no smell, no wax, nothing dark inside, there was a little extra hair which I plucked. I put her ear cleaner solution in consistantly for about 3 days. She seemed to be ok, all symptoms stopped. Well today I noticed her doing the same things again. So I repeated my Dr. Mom routine and came up with NOTHING. Same as before, plucked a few hairs.

I'm thinking that if she is still having these symptoms on Mon. morning that I am going to run her up to the vet to take a quick look see. Has anyone ever experienced anything like this? There is NOTHING there.....and no odor. Could it possibly be a little hair ball deep inside that I can't see? I took the flashlight and looked the best that I could. There is NO wax on the hairs that I pluck. I'm at a loss. If she had mites, yeast, or any other ear infection wouldn't there be some visible sign or a smell? I'm thinking that the summer heat and humidity is just annoying her. We keep our house cool (74F) but maybe she is getting hot and maybe her ears are sweating inside or something. She goes to get the newspaper in the morning with her daddy, and then goes to get the mail about noon, so she does get in the heat a couple of times a day. Any clues?

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
My first Maltese, Rosebud, had ear infections a lot and I rarely saw anything in her ears to indicate a problem. But she would shake her head and rub her ears. I would usually feel silly going to the vet but it always turned out to be something.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
I don't know what it could be, other than maybe wax way down that is irritating her. I just wanted to send hugs to Little Sassy
I hope she is doing better. Indy sends hugs too

·
Registered
17,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Originally posted by Littlemans Mom@Sep 18 2005, 03:55 PM
I don't know what it could be, other than maybe wax way down that is irritating her. I just wanted to send hugs to Little Sassy   
  I hope she is doing better. Indy sends hugs too 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=100785
[/QUOTE]

Thank you for the hug Indy. Sassy is definitely going to see Dr. Bennett tomorrow. I have always advised others better safe than sorry. It may be nothing but at least I will have peace of mine.

·
Registered
17,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We went to see Dr. Bennett this morning. Yep, Sassy has the beginning of a yeast infection in her ears.
Her left is worse that the right so we will treat both ears for a couple of weeks. I'm glad I listened to my instinct and heart and took her on in to see him. She was such a good little gir-r-r-r. Eventhough her ears were feeling a little funny she had kissy kissy for Dr. Bennett. I am so glad she loves her vet.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
I'm glad Sassy is on the mend
It really does help when our little ones like their Vet. It can be stressful for them just going to the Vet, but when they like them they are all happy to see them

Sassy, you take care and get better very soon..hugs from Indy and his Mommy

·
Registered
14 Posts
Originally posted by Sassy's mommy@Sep 19 2005, 04:01 PM
We went to see Dr. Bennett this morning. Yep, Sassy has the beginning of a yeast infection in her ears.
  Her left is worse that the right so we will treat both ears for a couple of weeks. I'm glad I listened to my instinct and heart and took her on in to see him. She was such a good little gir-r-r-r. Eventhough her ears were feeling a little funny she had kissy kissy for Dr. Bennett. I am so glad she loves her vet.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=101108
[/QUOTE]
Oah poor lil' thing! Good thing she has such a good mama. I took Lexie to the vet monday morning for her shotts, no fun. She seems too little but I know it's important soo... Its just as hard as watching my boys get there shots lol. I hope shes feeling much better.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
I just read the post, but I was going to say it is probably yeast. I just went through it with Sugar. I hate the medicine you have to put in there. Get ready for a greasy Sassy

·
Registered
17,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Originally posted by kab@Sep 21 2005, 07:51 PM
I just read the post, but I was going to say it is probably yeast.  I just went through it with Sugar.  I hate the medicine you have to put in there.  Get ready for a greasy Sassy

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=101895
[/QUOTE]

So far the medication isn't too messy. A little oily but not too bad. This is what I am using on her: Tresaderm twice a day, and Malaseb flush twice weekly. She still shakes her head once or twice a day (mainly when she has been napping) but at least she isn't pawing the ear now. :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.