Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
a fluff that is. I would love to have another for Myah to play with. What are your suggestions for the timing of getting another. Myah is only 4 months, should I wait until she is trained or when do you think is a good time for a new baby?

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
i feel the same way but right now will prob not be the time for me , but i think it would be awesome to have a fur sister for dolce ..

dont have any advice for u .. i do think you should wait for myah to be completely housebroken though .

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh I forgot to ask also, should it be a boy or a girl. which get along better? boy and girl or the same sex?

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
There have been a few topics on this in the past, but I recommend waiting until Myah is 1yr old approximately. She should be 100% trained the way you want before you add another fluff becaue the new puppy will pick up on her behaviors (good and bad).

As far as what sex, it's not so much the sex that matters as is the personality of the individual puppy. A reputable show breeder should be able to match a puppy's personality with Myah & your household to help make a better fit. I have one of each and it works out well, but overall I much prefer males and will not be getting another female again.

·
Premium Member
24,171 Posts
I think you would really have your hands full, kinda like human twins lol, I do wish I would have gotten Matilda's sister when I got her, I always wonder what kind of a home she has.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Professional trainers generally do not recommend having two puppies at the same time.

Two Puppies or One? - VeterinaryPartner.com - a VIN company!

You have yet to go through Myah's teenage stage when she will challenge you and may even regress in housebreaking. That can be a nightmare with two as, just like children, they love to copy one another's bad behavior!
That is spot on, speaking from firsthand experience. We didn't plan on having 2 pups at the same time and it is HARD HARD HARD. There are fun times, for sure, but if one goes bad (chewing something they aren't supposed to, etc), generally speaking they BOTH go bad. If they have another dog to emulate who is already well trained, they will copy the good behavior instead (how I wish this was my scenario:blink:)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts