Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We're bringing home Bitsy Sunday night and i want her to sleep in the bed with us (I think it'll be less traumatic for her since she is leaving her mommy and siblings for first time). Anyone else do this instead of crate training? Any advice, stories, etc?

·
Registered
88 Posts
We are crate training our 12week old little one. We want him to sleep with us though. So far I don't trust him not to pee in the bed so after he goes to the bathroom, he goes to bed with us and lays there until he starts falling asleep. Then we put him in a plastic tub (like the ones from Walmart) with a blanket in the bottom of it. He sleeps in that until he wakes us up at 4:30am crying to get out because he has to go potty. We are going to liter pan train him as well. So after I comfortable with him going to bathroom by himself in the liter pan, I will let him sleep with us full time.

G

·
0 Posts
there are some nights when we have our pup sleep with us but she usually sleeps in her own bed. I love having her in bed with us but she tries to take up too much space... :lol:

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
Sampson and Maggie sleep in the bed with us, Samspon between us and Maggie at our feet, Maggie dont take alot of space but Sampson for some reason likes to sleep sideways :D the only downside to this is Maggie is pretty small and must have a very small bladder and will sometimes have an "accident" (usually in the kitchen) in the middle of the night

S

·
0 Posts
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!! I HAVE 3 BABIES. I TRIED THE SLEEPING WITH ME WITH ALL 3. IT DIDNT WORK TOO WELL, LOTS OF MESSES AND CONSTANT WANTING TO PLAY ALL THROUGH THE NIGHT. I BOUGHT A TINY CRATE PUT A POTTY PAD IN IT AND PUT IT NEXT TO MY PILLOW WHERE I WAS IN THEIR SIGHT. IT WORKED UNTIL THEY WERE A LITTLE BIT OLDER, NOW THEY ALL SLEEP WITH ME IN MY BED.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Tanner was so small when I brought him home I was afraid I'd hurt him, so I put him in a crate on the nite stand. Later I discovered my YorkiePoo hated him so it was probably a good thing he got used to sleeping there cuz 2 years later, he's still in the crate at nite, doesn't seem to mind at all.

·
Registered
9,789 Posts
We are crate training our 12week old little one. We want him to sleep with us though. So far I don't trust him not to pee in the bed so after he goes to the bathroom, he goes to bed with us and lays there until he starts falling asleep. Then we put him in a plastic tub (like the ones from Walmart) with a blanket in the bottom of it. He sleeps in that until he wakes us up at 4:30am crying to get out because he has to go potty. We are going to liter pan train him as well. So after I comfortable with him going to bathroom by himself in the liter pan, I will let him sleep with us full time.[/B]
Hello,

I just wanted to let you know I really enjoyed the photos of your Noah.

Thank you for sharing them with us.

enJOY!
Melanie

About sleeping with your dog... all three of ours sleep with me. But yes they are all crate trained also. I feel that dogs need a "space" of their own. A DEN for safety anytime.

enJOY!
Melanie

·
Premium Member
15,201 Posts
We're bringing home Bitsy Sunday night and i want her to sleep in the bed with us (I think it'll be less traumatic for her since she is leaving her mommy and siblings for first time). Anyone else do this instead of crate training? Any advice, stories, etc?[/B]
Hi there!!! how exciting for you to bring your baby soon
I'm happy for you

About Snowy sleeping with me on bed. Well, it is so cute to have him close to me. I feel that I am snuggling a white fluffy teddy bear. I like it, but Snowy usually sleeps in his bed. He is crate trained, but I did read somewhere (don't remember) that it is better for the dog to sleep in his/her own place

·
Premium Member
4,225 Posts
My very first two maltese Nikki and Jassmine sleep with me. They are potty trained and go outside through the doggy door. Jassmine sleeps in the aclove above my head and Nikki waits till I settle down and then sleeps with his back against mine. My new puppy Tristan sleeps in a crate right next to the bed where he can see me. He isn't potty trained yet. Dogs sometimes like to mark their sleeping space. I had one dog that slept with me pee on my husband as he slept. My husband Harry is only home at night one or two days per week due to his job as a paramedic and working 24 hour shifts. Needless to say this dog no longer sleeps on the bed.
It depends on the dog and how potty training goes. Its no fun getting into bed and putting your foot into a wet spot
When I place a puppy with someone I find that they don't really miss their mom and litter mates. They want you. Maltese are so into their people they could care less where mom is and they don't have to compete with their litter mates for attention. There is a certain point in their little lives that is very crutial (sp). Between 12 weeks and 16 weeks they need to bond with a human. I try to place my pups with their person in this time frame because if I don't they will try to bond with me or my husband.
Good luck with Bitsy. She will become the light of your life.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Bella sleeps with me now but in the very beginning I felt it was best to get her used to sleeping in her crate.
It's good for them to get used to a crate first I think for many reasongs one of which when traveling the home you are in may not be thrilled with them in the bed. As long as the crate is right next to you where they can see you it seems to work fine. We've done this with all our puppies. Bella is the only one who gets to sleep in bed with me because we have always had Kerry Blue Terriers and German Shephards.
I think the crate in the beginning no matter how excited you are is best and then sleeping with you will be a breeze. I know one thing you will never regret having your puppy crate trained. Good luck and congratulations.!

·
Registered
325 Posts
i understand where you are coming from. I wanted donbi to sleep with me in the beginning when she first came to me but she perfer'd her crate over my bed which i did not mind at all. Even now she perfer's her crate over my bed to sleep in. Its her own spot. However when my boyfriend is at my house she loves sleeping on his head or inbetween his legs
. So whenever he is over~ she is on the bed (but she's potty trained and she knows not to go on mommys bed. also, i noticed when we are at hotels she is smart about not going on the beds i think she knows its the place we sleep and she wont mark it but the carpet is another story).

with duece
its another story he loves sleeping on the bed but since he is so small i perfer him in his own crate but he hates it. he will cry and cry forever it seems. so i let him out and the 1st night he gave me a present
a yellow stain on my bed. so now we are trying the crate thing. im sure you will figure it out the 1st night what to do. and congradulations on your new
baby

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
We're bringing home Bitsy Sunday night and i want her to sleep in the bed with us (I think it'll be less traumatic for her since she is leaving her mommy and siblings for first time). Anyone else do this instead of crate training? Any advice, stories, etc?[/B]

Both Sammy Maree and Max sleep in bed with me. I bought a sofl crate and had it at the foot of my bed and Max slept in that until he could hold his bladder through the night.
To get him used to my bed, I put him in his crate and when he woke to go out to the toilet, I would take him out, then when we came in he was allowed to sleep just on the bed (no crate), once he stopped waking for toilet trips, he just slept on the bed.

I luv waking up to my two beautiful babies every morning.

·
Premium Member
6,227 Posts

Both Sammy Maree and Max sleep in bed with me. I bought a sofl crate and had it at the foot of my bed and Max slept in that until he could hold his bladder through the night.
To get him used to my bed, I put him in his crate and when he woke to go out to the toilet, I would take him out, then when we came in he was allowed to sleep just on the bed (no crate), once he stopped waking for toilet trips, he just slept on the bed.

I luv waking up to my two beautiful babies every morning.
[/B]

·
Registered
706 Posts
I wake up every morning to the most WONDERFUL kisses.....priceless!! I snuggle with the most wonderful warm fluffies.....priceless!! Going to sleep with them.....priceless!! Waking up with them.....priceless.

Chipper has his "spot" where he sleeps.....with his sweet little head on my pillow. Izzy has her "spot" and wants her head hanging off the side of the bed. Neither EVER wake me.....and both patiently wait for me to wake.....then I'm covered in kisses. Neither have ever fallen out of the hiiiiiigh bed....but I have pillows that they would fall on.......just in case.

Chipper spent his first weeks in the puppy pen.....until he wasn't eating or using the pad during the night.....then he joined Izzy and me in the bed. Just imagine when I doggie sit Bruiser and Bunny and I have FOUR in my bed......now that is really PRICELESS!!!!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts