Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I would like Bella and Harley to wear her ID nonstop just in case, but I'm afraid of leaving her collar on while I'm not at home. What do you do about this situation? Also, if they wear a collar all the time, doesn't their hair matt? Bella and Harley are microchipped, but heaven forbid they actually get out, I can't guarantee the person who finds them will look for a chip. Any suggestions?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,417 Posts
I usually leave Rex's collar on him with his ID. He has a lightweight cat collar that he can slide out of. I have never really worried about it. It is the only one that he won't chew on, I guess since it is so thin he doesnt realize it is there. Rex's hair doesn't mat around the collar.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
21,482 Posts
I have never felt comfortable leaving collars on in the house. One time I had one on Kallie when she was a puppy and when I came home her lower jaw was stuck on the collar like she was trying to chew it while it was on her. Thank goodness I had been gone only a short time. Of course puppies are more likely to do that than older dogs but that did it for me.

Also, my cousin had a dachshund who got hung and died from her collar getting caught on something.

Anyway, just curious... why do you feel a need to have a collar on when you're not home?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,417 Posts
Originally posted by Kallie/Catcher's Mom@Oct 29 2005, 08:22 PM
Also, my cousin had a dachshund who got hung and died from her collar getting caught on something.

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=114703
[/QUOTE]

I have worried about that, luckilly the collar we have Rex if you pull on it it will come off. It wasnt made to do that, it just does because it was cheap I think!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally posted by Kallie/Catcher's Mom@Oct 29 2005, 08:22 PM
I have never felt comfortable leaving collars on in the house. One time I had one on Kallie when she was a puppy and when I came home her lower jaw was stuck on the collar like she was trying to chew it while it was on her. Thank goodness I had been gone only a short time. Of course puppies are more likely to do that than older dogs but that did it for me.

Also, my cousin had a dachshund who got hung and died from her collar getting caught on something.

Anyway, just curious... why do you feel a need to have a collar on when you're not home?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=114703
[/QUOTE]

Everything you just said is exactly what I'm worried about. Harley is a chewer and I'm afraid her collar might get stuck, so right now they're not wearing them. I think the only way I would feel ok about it, is if I found one with a velcro closure, do they exist?
I guess I just want one on when I'm not home because I'm paranoid. Someone might break in and the dogs could get out, or someone might think they shut the door good and locked it, but didn't, I know, I'm a nut
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,417 Posts
Originally posted by bellasmommy@Oct 29 2005, 08:29 PM
I guess I just want one on when I'm not home because I'm paranoid.  Someone might break in and the dogs could get out, or someone might think they shut the door good and locked it, but didn't, I know, I'm a nut
 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=114708
[/QUOTE]

MEE TOO! I am a worry wart
My neighbor across the street, who just happens to be a vet, says that Rex sits in the front window the whole time I am gone all the time and looks sad.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Originally posted by RexsMom+Oct 29 2005, 08:35 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-bellasmommy
@Oct 29 2005, 08:29 PM

I guess I just want one on when I'm not home because I'm paranoid.  Someone might break in and the dogs could get out, or someone might think they shut the door good and locked it, but didn't, I know, I'm a nut
 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=114708
MEE TOO! I am a worry wart
My neighbor across the street, who just happens to be a vet, says that Rex sits in the front window the whole time I am gone all the time and looks sad.

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=114711
[/B][/QUOTE]

Awww, they miss us as much as we miss them I bet.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
660 Posts
Flurry and Sassy wear there collars all the time but I am home with them and when I am out there is always someone here. I used to get my dogs tatooed, you can have it done at some groomers and vets. I have my pot bellied pigs chipped because there isn't a collar large enough, lol. Although I am confident they would ne returned!
They suffer from spoiled piggy syndrome.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Originally posted by sherylmint@Oct 29 2005, 08:42 PM
Flurry and Sassy wear there collars all the time but I am home with them and when I am out there is always someone here. I used to get my dogs tatooed, you can have it done at some groomers and vets. I have my pot bellied pigs chipped because there isn't a collar large enough, lol. Although I am confident they would ne returned!
They suffer from spoiled piggy syndrome.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=114715
[/QUOTE]

Ok, further proof that I am in fact a weirdo....I have a tatoo, and it really didn't hurt, yet I am still too chicken to have my pets tattooed. I think its great that tattoed pets have id right there for everyone to see, thats what I worry about with the microchip, some people don't know to look for it. But....I can't do it
Maybe I'll find a velcro collar, or make one, well I probably won't make one, I don't know how to sew
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
274 Posts
What about those cat collars that snap open when they get caught on things?? I think I've seen them on petedge.com... Here's a link:
http://www.petedge.com/shopping/product/de...iProductID=2998

I'm sure you could find one without a bell or take it off if you wanted to... I thought about these for Kylie and Katie, but Katie has already eaten 2 leather harnesses and two or three nylon ones....
I don't think she would be safe with anything....
Jess
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
784 Posts
Daisy wears her collar all the time and she's microchipped. Her hair has never matted under her collar. I make sure to rotate her collar around and move her hair underneath so it doesn't just sit in one position all the time, but I've never had a problem. All our dog's have always worn collars.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,040 Posts
Maybe I'll find a velcro collar, or make one, well I probably won't make one, I don't know how to sew
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=114723
[/B][/QUOTE]


maybe if you want to make one get one that is to big and clip it to be the size you need therefore cutting the buckles off (this would be a nylon one) and use a lighter to "melt" the ends so no fraying and then glue (?) the velcro strip in place. I would use glue like E6000 even though it stinks really bad the smell goes away after a few days.....I think that might work and be easy to make.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,741 Posts
i keep a collar on parker all the time....if u take the collar off when u brush it shouldnt matt too much...i can go a month and when i go to brush parker there are a few tiny matts no biggie. i have no worries about the collar being on him..he doesnt do much while im gone for n e thing to happen. all he does is sleep lol
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,126 Posts
also, you might want to try a leather rolled collar. these are fantastic in preventing mats. buttercup has one, but she hasnt worn a collar for a long time. she used to wear this collar when i had my friends check on her while i was at work, this way, if --heaven forbid-- she got out, she had a collar on, or if they didnt attach her leash securely, she'd be properly ID'd.

Rolled leather collar from Petsmart

this is the one buttercup has. i really cant say enough about it keeping the matting at a minimum or completely eliminated.

ann marie and the "i like this collar too, it's comfy!" buttercup
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks everyone for your ideas!
HollyHobbie, thats a great suggestion because I have a pink collar that has her name and my cell phone number embroidered on it, but I don't have her wear it because it has a standard buckle, I think I'll use your idea and cut the buckles off and glue on velcro. I'm not too crafty, but I think I can manage that
Its great to know so many of you use collars and they don't get tangles.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,741 Posts
Originally posted by TheButtercup@Oct 30 2005, 10:57 AM
also, you might want to try a leather rolled collar.  these are fantastic in preventing mats.  buttercup has one, but she hasnt worn a collar for a long time.  she used to wear this collar when i had my friends check on her while i was at work, this way, if --heaven forbid-- she got out, she had a collar on, or if they didnt attach her leash securely, she'd be properly ID'd. 

Rolled leather collar from Petsmart

this is the one buttercup has.  i really cant say enough about it keeping the matting at a minimum or completely eliminated.

ann marie and the "i like this collar too, it's comfy!" buttercup
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=114828
[/QUOTE]
thats what parker has
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Originally posted by LadyMontava+Oct 30 2005, 09:55 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-TheButtercup
@Oct 30 2005, 10:57 AM
also, you might want to try a leather rolled collar.  these are fantastic in preventing mats.  buttercup has one, but she hasnt worn a collar for a long time.  she used to wear this collar when i had my friends check on her while i was at work, this way, if --heaven forbid-- she got out, she had a collar on, or if they didnt attach her leash securely, she'd be properly ID'd. 

Rolled leather collar from Petsmart

this is the one buttercup has.  i really cant say enough about it keeping the matting at a minimum or completely eliminated.

ann marie and the "i like this collar too, it's comfy!" buttercup
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=114828
thats what parker has

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=114978
[/B][/QUOTE]

Maybe I could get one of these and put velcro on the ends instead of the buckle?
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top